3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   So, I'm getting into this calorie counting, and it's kinda fun! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/138858-so-im-getting-into-calorie-counting-its-kinda-fun.html)

Smiling_Sara 04-03-2008 10:11 AM

So, I'm getting into this calorie counting, and it's kinda fun!

I started the weight loss journey in Sept, just starting to watch what I ate, but not tracking anything really. I started tracking on Monday, and, as crazy as it may sound, I have lost 4 lbs since Monday. I don't know if it's bc I have excersized every day this week, along with the calorie counting or what, but I'm pretty excited about it. Now, I jsut hope I continue to maintain or even go down a bit more by Mon ( Official weigh in day )

rockinrobin 04-03-2008 10:19 AM

Yay for the 4 lbs lost and for discovering calorie counting.

I don't know, but for me "watching" what I ate never, ever worked. Actually counting my calories is what it took to get the job done. It's the accountability that I need. The brutal honesty. And the portion control (limits) that it demands. For me, it is the ONLY way.

Keep it up!!! Just keep going. It's soo exciting and so very worth it.

GirlyGirlSebas 04-03-2008 10:49 AM

I did Southbeach all of last year...and I love it! The recipes are awesome and I really learned how to eat healthy foods. However, I also learned that it is very easy for me to overeat on healthy foods and stall my weight loss. Combining my newfound healthy eating with calorie counting works well (when I'm committed to staying on-plan!)

Lyn2007 04-03-2008 11:10 AM

Another vote here for calorie counting. It is a great way to stay accountable and has stopped me from eating things sometimes just because "I don't want to go over my calories." When you don't count, you forget things you ate and then it adds up to too much.

Jen415 04-03-2008 11:12 AM

Good on ya! I'm finding tracking really makes all the difference!

Taylor86 04-03-2008 11:15 AM

I like calorie counting, but do not ever count veggies

fiberlover 04-03-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor86 (Post 2131793)
I like calorie counting, but do not ever count veggies

I count my veggies and fruits. It's probably pretty hard to get fat on veggies - but calories do add up. I like a complete tally for each day.

rockinrobin 04-03-2008 11:38 AM

I also count my veggies. I figure if I am indeed counting the calories that I'm consuming, I should count ALL of them. I eat an enormous amount of veggies every day. Really, really a LOT. If I didn't count them, then I would without a doubt every single day be over my calorie allotment, by a large amount. Although I do count them, I don't agonize if I've eaten 1 cup of cauliflower or 1 and 1/4 cups.

sweettart08 04-03-2008 11:39 AM

I am totally with ya! I LOVE calorie counting!! Because I have found that I can eat so much more just by chosing healthy things, I am having so much fun looking for ways to incorporate the different food groups into my day! And I had no idea that there were so many delicious options out there!!

Not to mention, it feels so good to sit down to dinner with less than half of what my hubby has on his plate, and feel FULL when I'm done eating. I never realized how much my stomach had stretched which in turn had me convinced that I needed the same portions as my hubby who has an over-active metabolism that burns the calories as he puts them in his mouth ;)

Anyways, good luck...and have fun with it!!!!! :carrot:

sweettart08 04-03-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2131827)
I also count my veggies. I figure if I am indeed counting the calories that I'm consuming, I should count ALL of them. I eat an enormous amount of veggies every day. Really, really a LOT. If I didn't count them, then I would without a doubt every single day be over my calorie allotment, by a large amount. Although I do count them, I don't agonize if I've eaten 1 cup of cauliflower or 1 and 1/4 cups.

Me too!!! I think I eat somewhere around 200 calories in fruits/veggies each day (on average)...that would put me WAY over my limit!! Plus, if I count everything I put in my mouth, I can still have a treat most days and stay on plan :D

Hot Harmony 04-03-2008 11:48 AM

I have to count everything or it doesn't work for me, also counting vegies and fruit help me to make sure I'm getting my 5-8 servings a day!

bigtxmomma 04-03-2008 12:01 PM

Ok, quick question. How do you count calories for dishes you make? Like casseroles, soups, etc, with several ingredients?

findingfawn 04-03-2008 12:02 PM

You are doing great! I too count everything.. even the 5 calorie sticks of gum I chew once in a while. The only thing I dont count is like today I was making a big bowl of salad and popped a single slice of radish in my mouth.. lol

findingfawn 04-03-2008 12:04 PM

I add up the single ingredients.. total for the whole dish.. then divide that total by how much of it I'm going to eat. Example.. say I make something that the whole recipe adds up to 800 calories. I'm gonna eat about 1/4 of it so I divide it by 4... I'm eating 200 calories. I used to dish out the kids food first.. now I dish mine first, it helps when I'm dividing a recipe like that.

ThatsSpify 04-03-2008 12:17 PM

Hi there.
I really do love to calorie count as well. It seems it is working for me. My only issue was when I make dinner seeing how much I eat. Thanks fawn for your example. My only concern is that fitday isnt accurate?? Hmmmmm