Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Question beans

I know there are lots of benefits with eating beans. However, I have never really tried them. I tried one (yes, a single) baked bean once - yuck!
I was thinking of starting with black beans.. and cooking them myself (yes, I know it can be a lot of work)
Any suggestions to make them taste good? Why am I so scared of new foods?

I tried spinach for the first time ever - about a month ago - and I love it! - cooked and raw - weird, eh?

Thanks
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Black beans taste great with onions,tomatoes and hot sauce......and, of course, yellow rice. But, don't know if the rice is on your plan. Maybe you can have the beans over some whole grain rice.

Also, have you ever tried the 15 bean soup or the lentil soup that come dried in the bag? They aren't as much effort as them seem....and so yummy!

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 03-31-2008 at 08:45 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Garbanzo beans are great.. I make them into Hummus....

1 can garbanzo beans
drizzle of olive oil
minced garlic
salt pepper
lemon

Put all of this in a food processer or a choppper and serve w/ carrots or pretzles or pita wedges!

Enjoy!
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't care for most beans. I have funny taste buds (just ask DH!). I wouldn't start with black beans - they are a pretty strong flavor. I have played around with others and have found a few I like.

You might want to start with lentils - they are easy and quick to cook. Also - chick peas are great. I like to roast those in the oven until they are crunchy. Spritz with Pam and then sprinkle with seasonings.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #5  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Hmmm, is it the taste of the bean you don't like or the texture? If it's the texture, I'd definitely try beans pureed. Some ideas there would be refried beans, hummus, or maybe a lentil soup that you cook down until the lentils have basically turned into a smooth mixture (or put it in the blender). If it's the taste, maybe try a few beans sprinkled into your salad to start off. Paired with a strong dressing, it might be enough to cover the beany taste. I agree that black beans are great with tomatoes, cilantro, onions, hot sauce... basically pico de gallo type things. Beans can taste kinda bland (like dirt!) if they're just on their own. Also, is it possible that maybe you just don't like baked beans?
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Personally, if I disliked a food, there is no way on earth I would eat it. Cottage cheese comes to mind for me. I know it's incredibly healthy, easy and quick. But I just can't stand it - so I don't eat it. Though I certainly understand the desire to want to diversify and branch out. I have experimented with things that I never ate in the past, changed the method of cooking and now they are some of my favorites.

I make a phenomenal black bean chili using canned black beans.

I brown lots of diced celery, onions, yellow and orange peppers. A jalepeno pepper finely diced goes towards the end of browning the above veggies. I simutaneously broil lots of tomatoes (you could used canned diced tomatoes), though the fresh broiled ones are out of this world). I then add the tomatoes, broken up to the pot, the beans, chili powder, cumin, cayene pepper. You can serve it with brown rice or homemade whole wheat pita chips. Sometimes I throw a diced avocado on top of the chili. The whole family eats it up. Good stuff.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #7  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

Height: 5'11"

I LOVE BEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beans are wonderful. After I started eating beans, my palate totally changed and I stopped craving such rich foods. Your taste buds really change once you eat seemingly "bland" foods for a while.

I did a post on my favorite beans recipes because a couple people had asked me to.

Black beans are so yummy. I like to make taco salads using black beans sauteed with a ton of onion and garlic and tomato and chili spices. Then put with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, cilantro ... So good.

There's really so much you can do with beans. =D
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I absolutely hate baked beans, horrid things. I love beans in general though. I eat a lot of canned beans and I'm absolutely in love with canned refried beans. Black beans are awesome.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I like beans. Two meals that I usually make with beans:

My own version of chili - consists of some browned ground beef, sliced scallions, some canned tomatoes (cut into chunks), garlic, coriander, salsa and two cans of red beans (I usually use red beans because I think they have the most fibre, and possibly also iron. However, I haven't compared beans in a while so I may be wrong). For spices, I usually use only chili powder (I try not to use additional salt as chili powder already contains salt, but you should adjust it to your taste.
I would typically have a small sweet potato with this and plan yogurt. The key is to use a lot more beans than meat. Meat is there just to fool your taste buds. I love this.

Also, my favourite is a bean soup (I am making it tonight). Typically, for this, I used dry beans which I soak overnight. Toss into a pot with other veggies - sliced carrots and celery stalks, coarsely grated parsley root and celery root, potatoes cut into chunks, some red peppers for colour (you can use any veggies you like). Also, I bought something I have never had before - organic rainbow Swiss chard (the stems and the veins in the leaves are dark red, bright pink, bright orange or bright yellow - wow - it sure looks pretty) so I will slice it into ribbons and add to the soup as well.
I prefer the bean soup with dried European mushrooms - the more the better. Add lots of garlic. Salt & pepper to taste, you may use a cube of veggie buillon for add more flavour. I thicken the soup with roux (I love to use butter for the roux if I have some, if not, then light olive oil).
Bon appetit! [P.S. you can make the soup in a crockpot]
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I like Vegetarian, fat free refried beans. They are good on a plate with some grated 2% low fat cheddar melted on top, with shredded lettuce and salsa and sometimes I eat this with baked corn chips.

I love bean soups, and you can find a ton of good ones on allrecipes.

My favorite beans are baby lima beans. I buy them frozen and simmer them in a pot with chopped onions, a little chopped ham, pepper, and chicken broth for about 20-25 minutes covered. What a great lunch!

Also it's easy to just add some rinsed, canned kidney beans to your salad or to a veggie soup. They are good in taco soup too.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Personally, if I disliked a food, there is no way on earth I would eat it
I agree with this in general - I think someone last month asked how to make hummus more palatable and a bunch of us said, if you don't like it, just don't eat it!

OTOH, there are some things that I consider as much "ingredients" as a food in and of itself, and beans are one of them. Beans covers such a wide spectrum of different types and flavors and they can be prepared so many different ways that it's possible that someone might not really *dislike* beans themselves, but just dislike the way they've had them prepared before.

Def try different varieties of beans and different ways of cooking them. Hot or cold - in soup or salad - mashed up in a hummus-type mix - anything that mixes things up and gives you a different perspective on them!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #12  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Height: 5'0"

Just got back from the grocery store.. I bought a bag of black beans (my dh likes these) I found a can of salt free black beans. I also got a bag of lentils and a can of salt free garbonzo beans.. wow! I went over kill.

It would be great if I like them. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #13  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I love black beans. I put them on the bottom of a taco/mexican like casserole. One night, I just put them on the bottom of the dish, put taco meat on top and covered with enchilada sauce and cheese. I baked it for 25 mins. It was really good. It ended up tasting like a taco soup...kind of. There is a recipe in the SouthBeach section that has the same idea but with chicken. It's called enchiladinis. Its really good too. Hope you find a recipe that you will enjoy!
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Here's my recipe for Chickpea, Spinach, Leek soup:

Spinach Chickpea Leek Soup

This is SO good and so fast and easy to make - makes plenty for several days. Great to make on a Sunday and eat all week.

1 tbs olive oil
2 leeks, sliced thinly (circles)
1 zuchini, chopped
minced garlic (I use tons)
2 14 oz cans tomatoes
small can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3 3/4 cup veg broth
1 14 oz can chickpeas (gabanzo beans) drained
block of frozen spinach (thawed, drained)
1 tbs oregano
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
fresh parm cheese for topping

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add leeks and zucchini and cook briskly for 5 minutes.

Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, vegetable broth, chickpeas and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Shred the spinach finely, add to the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season to taste. (the longer it cooks on the stove, the better it is). Remove the bay leaf, sprinkle with a tiny bit of parmesan cheese (if desired).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Black beans are ubiquitous, they are everywhere & I can only take them in small doses.

White kidney beans are my favorite, they are called Cannellini. I heart them.

Where did you find salt-free garbanzos?
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote