What is it about being sick that makes me want to eat?

• grrr, I"ve been sick the past few days and I have been craving food, even though I'm not hungry, I know I'm not hungry, but something is telling me that I want it. Maybe it's a comfort thing....
  • Oh, could be any number of things. You have a fever and your body wants more calories to replace what it's burning. You don't feel good and eating = comfort. Your mom always treated you to special meals when you were ill (in my family, it was super sweet tea with milk + cinnamon toast mmmm sugar and butter).

Feel better!
  • All the things Glory said, combined with, depending on the sickness, the fact that some foods make physical symptoms better (ice cream really DOES soothe a sore throat), and that if you're sick, you may be at home, thus out of your normal routine (that's the same reason weekends are difficult for people).
  • Are you taking any medications that make you feel drug out? Sometimes, these medications seem to increase my cravings for the starchy carbs that give me shots of energy or boost my mood.
  • Thanks guys, I'm only taking cold meds, and my usual claritin ( even tho that really isn't helping with the stuffiness ) I just feel like I want things that are not good for you too....but I went with some toast and hot tea ( to make my throat feel better )
  • I've been just exhuasted for the past two days--think my RA is flaring up again. All I want to do is eat, but at least I'm not craving junk. I want soup...and bread...and milk...and butter...and eggs...comfort food.

*sighs*