Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #16  
Meowsah

S/C/G: 317/239.4/150

Height: 5'6"

I find in general that people can't just plain ol' mind their own business. No matter what the situation, if you just focus on yourself and your own actions then the world would be a better place. Instead people feel the need to push their thoughts, feelings and beliefs on others. Whether it be about exercise or religion or eating habits, so on and so forth. Those teenagers really shouldn't have butted their nose into it, but I think in the end you did the right thing. Giving them a dirty look, or firing back at them is what they want. It gives them recognition and reward for their poor behavior.

Just feel good about the fact that you and your DH accomplished all that exercise and that you know the uppity teenagers don't have the knowledge you do and they did a swift "open mouth insert foot" maneuver whether they know it or not.

Noelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #17  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

Oh my gosh people are so rude! I'm sorry that you had to deal with that.
Hopefulpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #18  

Height: 5'5"

I think you have all summed it up nicely. It's true, people say too many things to strangers. I know I sound like an old lady but what did happen to manners? I NEVER respond to people who say things like that to me in public, unfortunately these days you never know who is carrying a gun and would hit you etc. It's a shame.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

What little snots!!! I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm pretty young, but I have a pretty bad back (My dr. told me if I ever got pregnant, I'd be on bed rest the whole time, and my back would probably never recover enough to have two kids!).
I get weird looks from people because I go down stairs so slowly, and I INSIST on holding onto the handrail. I have fallen down concrete stairs and done serious damage, but people don't realize that. They just see a young healthy woman who won't lift the 40 pound bags of cat food, or help lift furniture.
Just remember, some day those little jerks will be old, bald, and pudgy someday. I hope that makes you smile!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #20  
DEIRDRE

S/C/G: 210/140

Height: 5ft 1in

I am sorry ,it's a fact that the yonger genaration are rude but not all of them are like that. I would ground my kids if they were rude to anyone. Also i know people my age who can be spitfull. A woman i know said terrible things about myself and a friend about our weight she said it was our fault for eating to much and that there was no excuse to be overweight to make it worse she said it at a meeting infront off other people we did not know. I have to say i put her in her place and said there were many resons for being overweight and it was nothing to do with her.
deirdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

PaulaM, I COMPLETELY agree about the remark "what happened to manners?" I'm 26 and thought that being raised about using manners was "normal", then I move out of my family home 7 years ago into the world and realize that I am the strange one. I'm strange because I say, "excuse me" instead of shoving someone out of the way in the grocery store and say "please" and "thank you" to service people if the cook makes a mistake with my food instead of shouting at them like they are bad people for making an error. I don't know what the reason is for the loss of manners, I've read things saying we're turning into a more anonymous society with the internet and tint in car windows meaning people rarely see faces when they communicate. So basically people aren't getting the facial cues or voice intonation and we underestimate how important these aspects are to communication. People can both misinterpret the tone someone intended in a piece of writing AND get away with saying something rude and not ever have to be held accountable. So often parents don't witness their children being rude and cannot consequence them for it and as the theory goes the more often the behaviour goes unconsequenced the more it will occur. I know, psych grad here, so I can get a little over-analytical at times LOL. Fortunately parents are getting wise and better with computers and are beginning to be able to consequence these behaviours and teachers are too. Also things like "emot-icons" and ID tags are helping move the internet generation into a more honest and accountable arena. Every time in history when there is a major global initiative it changes society to the core, just like when the printing press was invented and the middle class started to form, the internet has had a great impact on our social world and is happening too fast for those of us experiencing it first hand to recognize, but in the end, hopefully things will balance themselves out. (reading this back I realize I am a HUGE nerd). Anyway, in the end, people always get held accountable for their actions ,we just don't always get to witness it. The more that boy continues to be rude and get away with it the more cocky and arrogant he'll get, meaning he will be less and less cautious and one day he's gonna anger the wrong person and he's gonna get his butt wooped!--But unfortunately you probably won't get to see it...but picturing it should be fun!!! All the best!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #22  
SeaWave

I agree with what so many have said - manners seem to have become a rarity. I remember in the first trimester of my pregnancy, I was feeling very weak. I took the elevator one day, at my OB-Gyn's building - a three-story building with only one small elevator. I held the door for another woman who was coming in on crutches, and instead of thanking me, she gave me a speech about how I was taking up space that someone who needed it could use (there was no one else waiting for the elevator). I told her I was sorry she was feeling so stressed and then just stared in the other direction, trying not to cry. I also wound up spending six weeks in bed, unable to get up to the bathroom without help, on doctors orders. I'm sure many, if not all of us, have similar examples. Sometimes I just don't get people... and I remind myself that their bad manners are a reflection of them, not of me, and I try to let it go.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #23  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Im sorry you had to go thru that. Some people are so stupid and need to think before they talk...especially kids.
momof4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #24  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

This kind of thing ticks me off to NO end!!!

My kids have been taught to respect others and use their manner since birth! Often, they won't remember to use them with US, but we're their parents so I guess that's to be expected...
HOWEVER, my kids are always, ALWAYS polite, kind and compassionate when it comes to anyone else.
There would be some serious **** to pay if I ever caught, or heard of, my kids being unkind to anyone! But luckily, all my mothering seems to have sunk in, and I don't think that will ever happen

I'm so sorry that happened to you, no fun at all!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Ugh. I hate people like that. I'm only 22, but have a REALLy bad back that alternates in between being "normal" for awhile and then going to extreme pain. At one point, right after an additional injury, I could hardly walk. I couldn't get up from a seated position, and I used the handicap stall. When I opened the door, a very unhappy looking older woman proceeded to sigh and loudly announce to the rest of the ladies in line that my generation obviously had no idea that handicap stalls weren't designed for lazy people but people who really needed them etc., etc. She rapidly shut her mouth when my friend came over to assist me in walking to the sink. (It was my first time out of the house and walking more than a few feet in two weeks)

I hate that people make assumptions about people without knowing.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #26  

Augh why are people so ugly? That makes me reeeal sad.

Generally, I like to think I'm a pretty well-mannered person... excpet for this one time... my mom and I were at the grocery store, and I was getting milk from the lil refrigerator thing, and I backed out of it to get around the door. Ya know. Normal procedure. (Haha) Well, this woman had sneaked up behind me, and I accidentally bumped into her. Before I could even say "I'm sorry" or "Excuse me," she literally yells "WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" (Mind you, this woman is older than my mom... haha)

Well, after being yelled at by a complete stranger for a simple accident, I blurted, "I'm sorry, I'm not wearing my glasses for the eyes in the back of my freakin' HEAD." (Not the best way to handle it, I know), but that woman was just completely dumbfounded. I thought for sure my mom was going to get after me, but she just stifled a laughter and pushed our cart away so she could laugh out loud. Anyway, I hope that taught her a lesson that maybe she shouldn't be such a bi-ya ha ha.

But yeah, that behavior of those boys was completely uncalled for. I hope they got stuck in the elevator.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #27  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I am sorry this happened to you. I have had comments of this type from people who range in age from 3 or 4 to the elderly. Some people think their opinions are welcome, and that total strangers are actually interested in hearing what they have to say. I agree with what some of the others have been saying...they will get their comeuppance sometime.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #28  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

A lot of this is due to poor parenting, in my opinion.

I have a 14 year old son. The other day, he saw the Home Economics teacher leave several bags at the entry way, then go park her car. Now, he could have just into my car and leave, as the school was on a two hour delay, but we didn't know about it, hence why we were there. My kids are homeschooled, but take some classes at the high school. He was there for his Spanish class.

Anyhow, he waited for the teacher to come back to the entry way, grabbed up four of the heaviest bags, and helped recruit another kid (who also didn't know about the two hour delay ) to help bring the rest of them in, so she had a bowl and one light bag to bring in. I smiled and waved at the teacher (my daughter had her last year for cooking class, so she remembered me). She told me what a doll he was for offering to help, and that the other kid as well was a nice kid. The Home Economics class was at the end of the building, so it was a long walk. Bless her heart for doing this every week without help!

After that, we went shopping at the grocery store. An elderly lady dropped her purse, and the contents spilled out of it. She had a cane and was obviously struggling, poor lady. My son picked up the bag, put the stuff back in it, handed it to her and smiled. She couldn't thank him enough.

Another time, there was a man who was trying to get his wheel chair out of the back of the SUV at a school event. My son went right over and got it for him. Another time, a different man had his young son with him. The kid struggled to get the wheelchair back in the car, along with the groceries. My son went over and helped the both of them, even shutting the trunk door.

How did he get this way? I taught him and my daughter's class and manners. I've had people tell me what a great kid he is, the things he's done when I'm not around to help struggling people or other kids, and it's because he learned from home what kindness, compassion, class, and manners is.

Now, he's no angel, he's all boy. But one thing I am proud of him for is that he would never say such a cruel thing to anyone, because I've taught him and his sisters to never judge a book by it's cover. They all have been taught since they were little just because you can't see someone's handicap or disability, it doesn't mean that there isn't one and to never be rude, only helpful if someone needs assistance. Or that they may have just had surgery and can't do the things they'd like to do as fast as the rest of us. We just never know what others are struggling through and have no right to judge others.

I find all too often these days that parents make excuses for their kids rudeness. The "kids will be kids!" line is so old and tiring to hear. I've seen kids making fun of other kids right in front of their parent's faces, and the parents do nothing about it. My kids knew/know better than to make fun of anyone- to me, that is just not acceptable.

I've also seen my kids do nice things for people, and them being rude in return without so much as a thank you or a nod. So, it's not just kids that are rude, adults can be nasty or classless as well.

I'm so sorry you went through this Paula. Shame on those boys for being rude.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #29  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Well said! I was raised on southern manners, and I've raised my son the same way. I know there are many, many rude adults, so I can't say it's one generation, but it does seem to get worse as time goes on.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #30  

I don't have kids, so I probably shouldn't comment, but so many of the parents I know seem to want to be "buddies" and not parents. The kids run the house. I prefer the old stricter days like when I was growing up.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote