Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I weigh every day, but only record once a week. Interestingly, for me, weighing every day takes some of the power away from the scale. Because I weigh every day I have concrete evidence of how varied flucuations can be, so I don't start freaking out if things are up. If things are up a couple of days in a row, though, that's a signal to me to pay more attention to what I'm doing.

I have also read that daily weighing is a key to sucessful maintenance. I tracked down an article about the study. It's an interesting read.

Lisa

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #17  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I weight everyday...it keeps me on track. Only report it "officially" on Mondays though.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #18  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I can't deal with the emotional rollercoaster of weighing everyday LOL, either feel GREAT cuz I'm down a bit or BUMMED cuz i'm up, can't face that feeling every day

I know I'm on the right path, so I don't need it to remind myself of what I'm doing, so I weigh in once a week, two times in a row to be sure it's accurate, and that's it I'm afraid.

I do like to try on some crazy small pants once a week too
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #19  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I weigh once a week. It gives me something to look forward. My weekly treat is getting on the scale. It is fun. I weigh every Saturday regardless of TOM or feeling bloaty. I know that the number is what it is for that day and if I was bloaty or had water weight due to TOM or salt...it will show the next week at my weigh in. The pounds lost wont go away if I don't catch it on a specific day.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #20  
On Day at a Time

S/C/G: 293/293/165

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
- you don't play games with the scale (like hopping on and off, trimming your nails, cleaning out belly button lint, etc)
Never thought of the belly button lint...although I do go to the bathroom before I weigh myself.
sarahdafiregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Quote:
you don't play games with the scale (like hopping on and off, trimming your nails, cleaning out belly button lint, etc)

I think it's a personal thing also. If one can see a gain and not let it set them off their plan. Then there is nothing wrong with it.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I can't deal with the emotional rollercoaster of weighing everyday LOL, either feel GREAT cuz I'm down a bit or BUMMED cuz i'm up, can't face that feeling every day

Trazey, I think you've hit on the main difference, right there. For me, weighing daily has desensitized me to the scale, so getting on is no longer an emotional roller coaster. I totally understand what you mean, though. For about five years I didn't even own a scale, and the only time I got weighed was at the doctor's office. Boy was that traumatic!

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #23  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

I weigh myself once a week. I have become scale obsessed in the past and drove myself crazy. I decided to only weigh myself once a week to avoid the "scale obsession"
Hopefulpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #24  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I feel better about weighing everyday. I especially liked the article from the Washington Post it made me feel like it was ok to weigh in every morning. This morning I saw another loss and this gave me inspiration for the rest of the day!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #25  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I weigh myself every morning after exercising. If I don't I forget my goals for the day.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #26  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I personally don't see any problem weighing once a day

*if*

- you don't play games with the scale (like hopping on and off, trimming your nails, cleaning out belly button lint, etc)
Dang! You're on to me

I actually do sometimes like to grab a morning and an afternoon/early evening weight just to get an idea of what kind of flux phase I'm in. And, even though it sure seems as though it can, I know my body isn't going to be able to manufacture a pound of fat in a 12 hour period so if I'm up a pound (or even two) in the evening I know I didn't get enough water and need to up it for the next day. But, it's kind of like everything else - it has to work for you. If the up fluctuations are going to throw you for a loop and make you want to give up then daily is not the way to go.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I try to weigh only once a week....once in a while I'll hop on midweek. But, actually - it can mess up my mind to weigh alot.

I can become scale obsessed. It can become disordered eating if I weigh too often - eating asparagus before a weigh day for it diuretic qualities or having lots of high fiber food so, well, you know "that" moves along too before I weigh.) I can't go that route anymore.

I have honestly tried to have a sane relationship with food and not be scale/weight obsessed. Mind you...I like it when the scale goes down - but, I don't freak out if it doesn't go down every week when I weigh.

My relationship with the scale has really evolved into a much healthier place for me.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-25-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I weigh every day and it helps me stay on plan. There are fluctuations, but it is the trend that is helpful. I spent too many years ignoring the scale. If daily weighing helps you stay on your path, then do it!
This is what I do too. It works for me.
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote