Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #1  
Kerry ~ TBL Red Team!

S/C/G: 236/194.6/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Paul McKenna's ~ I can make you thin

This guy is a UK Hypnotist. Or that's what I remember him as.... There's still an element of that in his audio tapes for weight loss (you're supposed to do them lying down with your eyes closed.... bit of a give away ) ... but my Mum told me about him on her last visit and apparently his methods are very successful and very popular over there. His site quotes him as being the best selling non-fiction author in the UK.

So anyway... I thought I'd share some of his stuff here in case anyone is interested.

He says that you need to act like a naturally thin person in your approach to eating and food... which sounds like a good plan!
Quote:

1. Eat whenever you are hungry

Why would anyone eat if they weren’t hungry?

Because it is simply a habit. Many people are so desensitized to their body’s messages that they’ve forgotten how to pay attention. Real physical hunger is different to emotional hunger (which we will deal with later). Physical hunger comes on gradually. Emotional hunger comes on suddenly, when you feel bored or upset. If you starve youself you will end up bingeing. That’s how your body gets thrown off balance. In future when you feel physical hunger, eat! When you starve yourself your body goes into ‘survival mode’, it slows your metabolism and your body starts to store fat. When you eat when you are truly hungry you tell your body there will always be enough food and your metabolism is likely to speed up.

The Hunger Scale ~ You actually need to go to his site to see this. http://www.mckenna.com/default.aspx?pid=39

2. Eat only what you want, never what you think you ‘should’
As soon as you tell yourself to not eat certain foods, (usually because you’ve been told they’re bad for you), you upset the natural balance of your relationship to them. Rather than wanting it less, that ‘forbidden food’ instantly becomes more attractive to you. The inner battle between your positive intention and your resistance to being controlled (even by yourself) can be exhausting. As you begin to make peace with food and learn to listen to the wisdom of your body, you experience freedom from the tension and guilt that comes from NOT following your intuition.

Also, as you stop resisting and start to follow your natural intuitions about what to eat when, you may notice your tastes changing. You may even find yourself naturally attracted to the very foods you’re ‘supposed’ to be eating now.

So in future eat what types of foods you want and not what you think you should.

(If you need to avoid certain foods for medical reasons, such as diabetes please consult your Doctor)

3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful
People that are overweight often shovel food in to their mouths as quickly as possible in order to get high from the happy chemicals we release in our brains when we eat. Unfortunately, because they are eating unconsciously, they never notice the signal from their stomach that lets them know that they are full. So they keep on stuffing their faces, expanding their stomachs and putting on weight.

The problem is that even though they feel temporarily high from cramming in lots of food, they feel fat and guilty afterwards. In fact, they feel so bad that they repeat the whole ritual of unconsciously stuffing themselves again in order to anaesthetise the bad feelings they just created!

Here is perhaps the single most important key to success with my system:

You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want, so long as you fully enjoy every single mouthful.

I cannot emphasise this enough. Put the knife and fork down whilst you are chewing your food and really enjoy it - savour the taste, and enjoy the wonderful textures and sensations as you thoroughly chew each mouthful of food at least 20 times!

If all you did for the next two weeks was to slow your eating speed down to about a quarter of what it used to be and chew each mouthful thoroughly, you will find it easy to leave food on your plate.

4. When you think you are full, STOP eating.
The natural design of the human body is to eat when we’re hungry and stop when we’re satisfied, but many of us are conditioned to eat until we think we’re full - or even worse, until whatever food we put on our plate is gone. When you’ve eaten enough, your stomach sends a signal – a sensation that says “I’m satisfied – that’s enough.” Most people experience this gentle, clear, satisfied sensation in their solar plexus (the area below your rib cage but above your stomach).

Of course, if you miss this warm feeling of satisfaction when it first occurs, you’ll notice that each subsequent bite of food becomes a little less enjoyable than the one before. The more you pay attention to it, the more obvious it becomes. If you are not sure whether you are full or not, just guess. You will soon find it becomes easier to tell.
In more depth it's on his website : http://www.mckenna.com/default.aspx?pid=9
MamaToTomAndAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

He's got a TV show now. I watched a little bit of it last night. It's called "I Can Make You Thin". The little that I saw was about tapping yourself when faced with emotional desire to eat.

He showed a few people how to tap themselves on various acupuncture points of the body (below the eye, the chest, the hand). People on the show claimed it made their emotional desire to eat go away. I didn't try it, honestly it looked boring so I changed the channel.

Next show it's supposed to deal with food cravings. Maybe I'll watch that one.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #3  
Newbie LAWL

S/C/G: 261/257/130-135

Height: 5'3"

I saw the first show, and what he says DOES make a lot of sense. I actually relayed it to someone tonight when we were eating out, and she thanked me for that tidbit, because she ended up eating only half of the food that she had gotten.

I am a bit wary, but pretty much from my limited viewing....he makes a LOT of sense for the most part. And he does explain WHY his rules are the rules, instead of saying "do this and you'll be thin!"

So far, I dont' have TV, so I'm not really gonna try and catch his shows, but I might later on.
starofsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've done the tapping thing before, not for weight loss, it's also used to relax and deal with panic attacks. It works, I've learned how to completely calm myself and get centered. I'd be curious to watch the show, I am never home when it's on though

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I took a class on "tapping" last fall. I never got much out of it, but I am not sure how seriously I took it either.

It's called EFT.

Last edited by Sandi; 03-25-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote