Old 03-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #1  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Default Anyone else on a diuretic?

My doctor put me on a diuretic two weeks ago because my blood pressure is just a bit high. It was 120/90 which she said is not to bad but to try the diuretic and lose some weight and it will turn itself around. I have terrible heart history running in my family (my dad had a heart transplant 2 years ago). Does the diuretic help with weight loss too? It's a prescription so is it the same as what you buy over the counter as a diet aid? Has anyone else used this for bp problems?
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Wendy, I've not heard of doctors putting people on diuretics only. I've only heard of them putting their patients on a combination of blood pressure pills with the diuretic. I wouldn't imagine that a diuretic would help much with true weight loss of your fat stores. You might see a slight drop on the scales if you were retaining water before starting the pills.

Hopefully, someone who takes diuretics will be able to respond to your post and provide more insight.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 03-20-2008 at 07:13 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Frankly, I can't imagine someone being put on a diuretic with that blood pressure. That is barely borderline. But, I'm not a doctor. Maybe you ought to get a second opinion about your bp.

Diuretics remove water by stimulating the kidneys. They can deplete the body of potassium as well as sodium (table salt), so they do have potential dangers.

A diuretic lowers your weight by drying you out, not by getting rid of fat. The fat is the problem, and that's what you need to lose.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #4  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

Do you have swelling in you legs or ankles (edema)?
Quote:
Diuretics are recommended as the first line of treatment for high blood pressure.1 They are usually recommended as one of at least two medicines to control high blood pressure.

Diuretics are especially beneficial in African Americans, older adults, people who are overweight, and people who have heart failure.
Source: http://health.yahoo.com/bloodpressur...--hw58715.html Scroll down to Why it is used.
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #5  
In Onderland!!!!

I don't think people normally get bp medicine for where I am at but I have terrible heart history in my family. My dad (58) had a heart transplant 2 years ago and then my uncle about 6 months later, died suddenly of a heart attack (50). My Dr. of whom I've been with for years said the numbers were not bad but I needed to see this as a wake up call and do something about it now. I was told that I would only need the diuretics for a short time and that losing just 10 pounds would make a difference. I'm going back on April 1st for a weight/bp check and then we will go from there. I've been making sure to add more potassium to my diet as well. I'm a worrier and ever since my dad started having heart problems, I started having anxiety/panic attacks on a regular basis which has been terrible. That's alittle off subject but I think it all factors in on why she put me on that medication for now;.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #6  
In Onderland!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Amazon View Post
Do you have swelling in you legs or ankles (edema)?
Source: http://health.yahoo.com/bloodpressur...--hw58715.html Scroll down to Why it is used.
no, I don't have any swelling
Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #7  
In Onderland!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Amazon View Post
Diuretics are especially beneficial in African Americans, older adults, people who are overweight, and people who have heart failure.

I guess I fit in to the overweight part?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #8  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I was put on a diuretic for leg swelling at my highest weight. It had gotten to be pretty bad - painful in fact. My blood pressure was ok through (borderline high but not in the do something about range).
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendymeows View Post
My doctor put me on a diuretic two weeks ago because my blood pressure is just a bit high. It was 120/90 which she said is not to bad but to try the diuretic and lose some weight and it will turn itself around. I have terrible heart history running in my family (my dad had a heart transplant 2 years ago). Does the diuretic help with weight loss too? It's a prescription so is it the same as what you buy over the counter as a diet aid? Has anyone else used this for bp problems?
Hi Wendy!

I was on furosemide before I began the clinical trial I am currently doing.

Due to my kidney disease, I do have to be on high blood pressure meds. I am currently on Lisinopril, and before the trial I was on lisinopril with hydrochlorothiazide, which is a diuretic. Then I was on an additional furosemide pill. It was nice, kept my feet non-puffy.

I think your doctor is just being proactive.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Just jumping in here with no real input to give....but I had to start laughing at myself. When I was an insurance agent, I would have people on Medicare calling me to see if their prescriptions were covered by our Part D [prescription drug] policies.

They wouldn't know how to say something, so I'd ask them to spell it. With something like hctz, they'd go "H-y-d-r-" and I'd jump in with "Hydrochlorithiazide?" They would be so amazed that I could pronounce that word with no problems whatsoever, not stopping to think I had looked up a prescription with Hctz in it at least 20 times that day already....

So back on topic, somewhat...reading all these posts about hctz and furosemide and such makes me sigh and wince at the memories of my old callers. Sorry. I'll leave y'all alone now. Just had to share. ::looks sheepish::

Last edited by althepirate; 03-22-2008 at 12:35 AM.
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #11  

^^^You should've seen me trying to pronounce it when they first put me on it. hctz works nicely.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendymeows View Post
I just realized I never fully answered the rest of your questions.

They want the 90 in your BP to be under 80, esp with your family history.

Diuretic helps with water weight loss only. Prescription is not the same as what you can get over the counter. It's better.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #13  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

My doctor put me on a diuretic because I retain so much water during my period.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #14  
In Onderland!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace View Post
I just realized I never fully answered the rest of your questions.

They want the 90 in your BP to be under 80, esp with your family history.

Diuretic helps with water weight loss only. Prescription is not the same as what you can get over the counter. It's better.

Thanks for the info....the Hydrochlorithiazide is all that she put me on for now. I can't wait til my Dr.s appointment to see if it has helped and also find out my weight loss!