Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #1  

Default Questions about starting running at this weight

Whew, it is just not easy to run with all the extra weight! I really want to begin running. I am very very slowly working into it. I get so out of breath so fast and it is so much to lug around (the added weight)--sometimes I hear my fat rolls slapping. So far I am now able to run one lap around the gym (1/17 of a mile---not much!). I know some of you run. What weight ranges are you in. How do I not get so out of breath? It has to be harder runnung with a body that has just so much extra. I want to run and hope that I can. I know once I lose 70 pounds or so it should be much more easy. Just looking for advice. Thanks MG
lovemylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think you should talk to your doctor about it. Running often isn't the best exercise when you have quite a bit of weight to lose. In college, I had to take two semesters of P.E. and I took independent study swimming, weight training, and bicycling. I had asked about running, but the instructor (at Illinois Wesleyan all full-time instructors had to have doctorates, so I'm assuming she knew what she was talking about) advised me against it, telling me that every extra pound you carry puts (these numbers might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering this right) 4lbs of pressure on your knees and running can double or triple that. So if you're 70 lbs overweight, running could put 560 to 840 lbs of extra pressure on your knee with each stride.

I don't know for sure that this is true, but I think you should talk to somebody who does know what they're talking about. If there's a sports medicine doctor in your area, that would be the best. Not only could (s)he tell you whether it's safe to run, but the best way to build up your endurance and prevent injury.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-15-2008 at 11:10 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #3  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I can only speak for myself, but FWIW....

It's not so much a matter of not getting out of breath, as it is finding your own pace and rhythm so that your breathing is somewhat controlled.

Back when I was running, there was a natural breathing rhythm I would fall into. Yes, I was out of breath but not breathless, if that makes sense.

Gasping for air means you are pushing yourself too hard. Unless you are doing intervals or sprints, then you shouldn't be gasping.

If you are gasping for air, or would be unable to speak more than one or two words at a time, then you are probably trying to go too fast and need to slow down.

As you build your stamina & lung capacity, and as the weight comes off, you will find that your speed will increase.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You might want to check out the program Couch to 5K - it will help you train to run.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I got carried away a few times on my treadmill and started jogging and I was in big pain the next day, hips and knees. Don't know if that was due to all this weight, or my age, or a combo of both. I'm not trying it again at this weight, but that's me
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I second the Couch to 5K advice...

IMHO - there's nothing wrong with brisk walking to start with. What is important is that you find something you can enjoy doing. Daily (well, if it's running, prolly more like 3-4 days a week).

Last edited by chick_in_the_hat; 03-15-2008 at 12:42 PM.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/193/140

I started running at 235 on the couch to 5K program, and am just getting ready to start week 7. I absolutely love it. When I got further into the program, my knees started to ache a bit. Not really hurt, and not while running, but like the next day they would ache a bit. So I looked up some stretches, and started icing my knees after running. Now when I get home, I do my stretches, then ice my knees for 15 - 20 minutes. No more aches and pains! Not to mention, I'm sure carrying 20 less pounds around while running has helped.

When I first started, I never thought there would be a day when I was would be able to run 20+ minutes without stopping. Seriously, I would be out of breath after running for a minute, but it's definitely gotten easier with time and weight loss.

So to answer your question, and not knowing how much you currently weigh, I would say if you want to get into running, starting slow and using something like Couch to 5K and remembering to stretch after your runs would be great. Or even starting with 15 to 20 minute walks, and then moving up to 30 minute walks, and then starting C25K.
girl anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #8  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

I have about 74 more lbs to go and I am doing The Couch to 5K . We have a thread for it for people that are new to it HERE. What's great about it you can repeat weeks if you don't feel like you are ready to go forward.

Last edited by Diva; 03-15-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #9  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I started jogging at about 245lbs. I was so fed up I flew out of the house sobbing and ran until I couldn't any more... then stubbled a few paces and ran a few and then repeat. I didn't know what else to do and it turned into something I love. I can't emphasize enough what the right kind of shoes can do for you! Find ones for over weight runners and be sure to stretch your shins to avoid intense pain. I checked in with my girlfriends track-star brother for tips. (One tip he gave me that still makes me giggle... running backwards on your tip toes, the team has to do it everyday to work those hard to get to muscles.)
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think it's wonderful that you want to become more physically active, but I would say, none of us here are physicians or physical therapists, and we don't know much about your physical condition--so we can't really tell you that it's OK for you to run.

It's important to keep in mind that if someone is very overweight, they can be injured by trying to do exercise that's too strenuous. Just walking is plenty of exercise for most people who are obese. Exercise machines also take some of the stress out of physical activity.

I agree about having good shoes, too! It's really easy to develop foot problems if you have worn out shoes.

Good luck! Just be sure to get checked out and start slowly!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I started closer to 290 and I do love it. I agree about finding a pace that works for you. My jogging is still slower than post peoples fast walking. I also got me an mp3 player to help pass the time and it works great. Now that I'm starting to get the respiratory infection under control I'm going to try and jog again and hopefully have not lost so much endurance that I can't do the next 5K I wanted in April.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #12  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Walking is probably safer for your bones/joints/muscles & heart health until you get some weight off, unless you have remained active. If you are active already and have been active with the extra weight then you should not have troubles.
I read somewhere recently that running puts about 3 times your body weight on each foot with each step. Walking does not do this, even brisk walking.
I used to run when I was about 50 pounds overweight, but had been active and remained active. I loved running. Now that I am 100 pounds overweight, I can not run. I do walk and have begun taking the stairs at work, I can do 5 flights now. I hope to run again, but I won't even try until I weigh less. I will keep bumping up the speed and incline on the treadmill though! There are ways to challenge yourself slowly and gradually without harm.
Echoing the others--see your doctor or ask for a referral to a physical therapist from your doctor to advise you in your efforts.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #13  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I started the couch to 5K when I was in the 240s. If you decide to try that just repeat the weeks as many times as you need to until moving on. I've been at it for about 4 months and still haven't reached the 9 week point. I'm up to doing 15-20 minutes of jogging at a time.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #14  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I'm doing a modified C25K program and I am currently about 70+ pounds overweight. Initially,the combination of walking and jogging for 60 minutes is easier to sustain than running for a longer period of time. The C25K program slowly builds up the time/distance that you run.

Regarding the knees.....wear really good shoes that are appropriate for your particular gait. I also ice my knees for 20 minutes after my hour session. This helps to prevent any swelling. Also, I recommend incorporating additional strength training exercises for all of the muscles in your legs. This will help to stabilize your knees. And, one thing to keep in mind.....studies have shown that exercise does not cause arthritis in the knee. Runners knee is caused by incorrect tracking of the knee cap or an incorrect motion of the foot.....hence the strength training and shoes recommendations.

As a former 5 mile a day runner, I can tell you that there is nothing quite like the awesome feeling of running! I hope you can grow to love it as well.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #15  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

I'm overweight and I run. I am training for a half marathon! I love running now, even though when I started out, i couldn't even run 100 yards without getting winded.

Something that my coach told me is this: if you're not able to talk with someone while running (or jogging/walking/shuffling/etc), then you're working too hard. Unless you're sprinting/interval training, your pace should be comfortable enough for you to hold a conversation. And don't forget, it's always fine to start out walking first. As you continue, your body will get more and more efficient at extracting oxygen from your breath, and therefore you won't get winded as quickly. Many people have great results by doing a walk-run program, such as those advocated by Hal Higdon.

Either way, good for you for getting out there and trying something new! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Keep up the great work!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote