Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default So upset (and the urge to eat)

I'm so upset; things with my thesis are going really poorly. I just had a really disheartening email exchange with my thesis chair, and I'm sitting here at work about to cry. And all I want to do (you guessed it) is eat. Why? Why do we do this? I know, I am 100% convinced, that eating will not help. But I don't know what will, and I just want to give up on the whole thing. And now I really am crying. (Thank goodness I'm alone in the office.)

I don't know what I'm hoping for by posting this. Help? Hugs? Someone to make sense out of this? But at least, while I'm sitting here posting this, I'm not next door hitting the fridge. And that's something.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

LisaF - I'm sorry. Your right food won't help it's only moment and then you'll feel worse. So lets think of somethig positive you've lost 53 LBS that is wonderful and no one can take that from you. You worked hard for that! Hugs to you. Post every 2 seconds if it keeps your hands off food!! We'll help you get past this!!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #3  

I'm so sorry about your frustration. Working and going to school is exhausting, hard work, and can be frustrating. I remember feeling overwhelmed so much of the time. And having thesis problems on top of it. Whew! No wonder you're looking for comfort.

Here is what I would suggest, if you can do it. Tell someone you're taking a "cigarette break" or "coffee break" or whatever is acceptable at your work. Then, go take a brisk ten or fifteen minute walk. I know that it helps me when I can get away and work out for a little bit.

Good luck with your stress and with your thesis.

LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

that's one of the feelings I would love to get rid of. It just sucks when it comes up at the most inopportune times (like there is a good time). You did great by coming here for support to try and keep you from doing it.
Since you are upset and you know you wanna eat just because, why not try and think of something else you can do that would put everything into better perspective.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #5  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

I'm sorry you're feeling down. =( =( =(

BUT for reaching out instead of comfort eating. It's so good to try to break that pattern. It's just a conditioned response. You're so right on the ball about the fact that food will not help you feel better.

Remember. Food doesn't have arms. It can't hug you!

Last edited by bigtxmomma; 03-17-2008 at 04:23 PM.
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Lisa, I'm so sorry that your thesis isn't going well. The stress must be incredible! We turn to food during these rough times because that is what we know and what has worked for us in the past. Learning new coping skills isn't easy. What works for me is to blog or journal what I'm thinking or feeling or to just talk to someone who will just listen. Please keep telling yourself that this too shall soon pass. These rough times won't last forever. And, you're a strong woman.....you've lost 53 pounds! You can make it through this!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

You folks are wonderful. I just spent the last few minutes browsing 3FC, and I come back to such amazing support and reassurance. It helps so much to know that I'm not alone in this struggle.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You aren't alone! We are all here to support you, with food and your thesis

Take a deep breath and then work out what you need to do to correct what your advisor tells you.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Just wanted to send some hugs your way.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm late to post, and I know the feelings have long passed, but I wanted to say that it's not just "something" that you're not at the fridge - it's EVERYTHING! Even being self-aware enough to know food won't help and comfort you, that's an amazing accomplishment. I hope things are a bit better today, and the fog of crappiness has shifted a bit!!!

huuuuggggzzzz
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

Honestly, what I'd do if I were in that situation and alone is cry it out. Crying releases a lot of frustration for me and it helps me avoid eating cuz I'm frustrated or upset. Then go out and work on the problem. It is really good though that you managed to avoid the fridge and shows a lot of self-awareness and restraint. Good luck on getting the problem with your thesis worked out.
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #12  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Joylove...I'm also a big advocate of a good cry!

I love Thursday night TV... Grey's Anatomy and ER to be specific (gosh, how I miss them!)
I joked to my hubby one time that the reason we're still married is because of Thursday night. I get to bawl my eyes out and he doesn't have to bear the brunt! I let all my stress out then...and not on him...even if it's there because of him in the first place
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote