Old 03-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297.4/280.4/180

Height: 5'11"

Default New and First Time with an Online Support Group

Hi there. My name is Jen, and I'm from the US. Tomorrow I'm starting my quest to lose over a hundred pounds. I've lost weight on my own before, but this time I thought an online support group might keep me more motivated, so I hope to be around here for a while.

At my absolute worst, I weighed 317 lbs. Back in 2006, I lost 50lbs completely on my own - just changing eating habits and exercising... I don't believe in following "diets" or fads, and don't believe in weight loss surgery for my particular case. I also don't believe in depriving myself of anything at all, so moderation is a big key when I do lose weight (and it worked well for me the last time).

I put on some of that weight again over the last year (because the ex and I ate out far too often, and I didn't do too hot with moderation when eating at restaurants), and at my last weigh-in, I was at 298.4 lbs. (EDIT: I just did my official starting weigh-in, and I'm 297.4 lbs.) I'm almost exactly six feet tall, so ultimately, I'd love to be down between 160 and 180 lbs. I don't even think I weighed that as a teenager though. lol

I'm fresh out of a year-long relationship, and rather than moping around depressed, I'm taking the initiative to make some major changes in my life - weight loss being one of them. I'm not doing this because I want to be "pretty." I already love myself at any weight. I'm doing it because I want to be healthier, and I want to increase my energy throughout the day.

When I lost weight the last time, it was almost by accident. I was driving one day, passed a park, decided to go there, and began walking along a wooded path. It was addicting, and I went back every day until I was doing 4 - 6 miles per day (which I can still do... it's just a bit more of a struggle... I'm generally amazed at how much my body lets me do... they're beautiful machines, aren't they?).

I'm jumping right back into walking and some yoga (which I also used to do daily - I've realized I'm achy and not at all flexible anymore). I decided to do this after seeing a training calendar in Natural Health magazine this month to walk a marathon. While I don't actually intend to walk a marathon, it's a 5-month program, which will keep me increasing my workouts for a significant period of time. It already incorporates a cross-training day, where you can do another activity (such as yoga, or other things I enjoy like Tae Bo once in a while). So with this plan, plus a stretch, strength, or yoga session each day, 6 days a week, I know I can get back on track.

My biggest struggle is usually that I have no one to talk to about the journey, so I hope this community helps with that. It's also a bit tough to force myself to get dressed and get out, because I work from home - it's too tempting to go right from the bed to the computer. Tomorrow I'll be kicking things off with a new pair of sneakers to help motivate me to get started on something good for myself. In the past, I used to put my workout clothes on before bed, sleep in them with the sneakers next to the bed, and then I'd have no excuse not to go out and walk first thing in the morning. I'll be trying to do that again. I know once I get into the habit, my workouts will become my "friend" again. lol And I've got the willpower to get back to that point.

I'm babbling. Sorry about that.

Wish me luck! And I hope to get to know some of you better while we share our journeys to become healthier, happier people.

Jen

Last edited by Jen2008; 03-09-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Jen2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm so glad you're here. This truly is a FABULOUS place for support. You won't be disappointed.

I've found one very big key to weight loss for ME, has been PLANNING, PLANNING and more PLANNING. Having good healthy foods in the house. KNOWING what I will be eating AHEAD of time. Preparing, chopping, dicing and all that stuff.

Another key has been actually TRACKING my calories. It's what holds me accountable and limits my portions and what has taught me moderation.

The reason I say this is because I see you've mentioned the exercise aspect of this all, which of course is essential. And it sounds as if you've got a great plan all set to go on that end. Just wondering what you had in mind food wise.

Regardless, I'm thrilled you're here and look forward to being right there along side you as you travel on your journey towards good health. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-09-2008 at 09:27 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Jen, and welcome! This is a great place, open 24/7 - so no matter what time of day, you can find the support you need!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #4  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Jen! I think you will love this web site! So often I'll read something and say to myself, "I can't believe someone else feels that way too!"

For me, one of the biggest things is the accountability of it all. And this time around I promised myself I would post everything..... the good - the bad - and the ugly!!

See you around
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW235 225/176.5/136

Height: 5'2

Welcome Jen! Having a place like this to post is a great help for anyone on a weight loss healthy lifestyle journey. Hope you enjoy yourself while you're here and make some new friends in the process.
AndLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Jen! I'm new here as well, but already finding this a helpful site. I'm with you here--no weird diets, just moderation, some form of exercise, and better food.

Good luck!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #7  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Jen!
So glad to have you!

Sounds to me like you have the potential to REALLY do this! You've got a fabulous attitude toward yourself, and a great attitude about exercise too, which is great! I struggle with all kinds of negative emotions related to exercise.

You're really going to do this!

You've also found an AMAZING place to get all the support you could need, so stick around the 100 pound club, and let's do this together!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #8  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Hello and welcome Jen!
I had never used a support group before posting here and but I gotta tell you I love it! It is so nice to have a huge network of people who can relate to what you are going through in the journey to get healthier. I also find it so motivating to see all the past big losers and all the people maintaining these huge weight losses. We CAN do it!!! I look forward to seeing you on the boards.
Cheers
Robyne
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Jen! I love this site. Such great folks here, great ideas and lots of support and inspiration. Stick around
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #10  

Welcome and good luck.

I love this place -- lots of support, information and good reading -- even when you don't feel like posting there is so much support of everyone it's refreshing.

Last edited by shelby897; 03-09-2008 at 05:40 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 297.4/280.4/180

Height: 5'11"

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm really glad to have found these boards.

I kicked things off today as planned - today was just a 15 minute brisk walk following the walking plan I'll be on for 5 months, but at least it got me out there. Tomorrow is 20 minutes which I'll be splitting between yoga and some strength work with bands.

RockinRobin- I completely agree about the planning. It was a key factor in me losing the 50lbs the last time. I create my own little charts where I track calories, fat, saturated fat, fiber, and sodium. I don't limit myself foodwise in any way. I simply do that to observe, and the guilt of seeing how bad I am at the start whips me into shape pretty quickly as far as encouraging the moderation. I plan my workouts ahead of time, but the food is a bit more relaxed in that it's a post-evaluation that seems to make me most aware and focused on small changes for healthier eating (like not enjoying calorie-laden drinks and fast food much anymore). I actually have a new favorite food - those South Beach refrigerated wrap meals. I don't follow the SB diet at all, but bought them because they simply tasted good. Since you assemble them yourself, you also eat a bit more slowly. I didn't even realize how low calorie and high fiber they were until very recently, so now they've become a staple, and I eat one just about every day (they're great when I'm eating a very late dinner while working, when I don't want to overdo the calories).

The only downside of today is that I didn't buy new sneakers as planned. I have large feet (a curse of being so tall), so it's hard to find something good, and I don't like ordering shoes online. So I'll have to continue that hunt possibly next weekend. The old ones will do fine for now, and I'll just look at it as a treat for successfully completing week one then.
Jen2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #12  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I'm also glad you're here Jen! The support here is great. I post daily and seeing everyone's success is keeping me on plan. We can do this!
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #13  
On My Road To Good Health

S/C/G: 286/256/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Good for you, Jen

It sounds like you are off to a fabulous start! It will be great travelling this journey with you...sounds like you are starting all over again in alot of ways. You can do this! I am confident!Bethz

PS: I wear a size 11 shoe, sometimes wide. I love the New Balance sneakers,.

Last edited by bethz; 03-09-2008 at 08:50 PM.
bethz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

From one Jen to another...HI!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #15  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

Hi Jen! You actually come really close to my start weight of 294.5 and I am also 6 ft tall! It's like we are twins. This place is great for support. I haven't been here long, but I'm already feeling the love. Way to go on starting to get moving! That is half the battle. I really need to work on moving more too. Good luck and happy you could join us for your journey!
Hopefulpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote