3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Appetite suppressants (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/136457-appetite-suppressants.html)

JoaniT 03-07-2008 07:06 PM

Appetite suppressants

just to make it clear, I am not looking for a "magic pill" that means I will never be hungry, I am aware of those cons.

but... once upon a time, a yogurt company made a "crave-control" low-fat yogurt that was delightful. it seemed to have something almost like baby cereal in it (tried that, wasn't quite right) that made it so when I ate this yogurt as a snack or after a small meal, my hunger pains went away, and I was quite content with the world. I understand that dieting means i will experience hunger here and there, however, I just ate a chicken breast with honey mustard and 15 minutes later, feel like i havent eaten all day (despite the fact that I was content 10 min ago.)

why do i have this problem? is there anything out there that will do something similar to what this yogurt did for me? (btw product was discontinued, hence my dilemma...)

Sheila53 03-07-2008 07:59 PM

Try eating small meals frequently that consist of a protein, a carb and a good fat--it will help keep you full throughout the day. For example, ff cottage cheese with a couple of Tbls. of flavored yogurt sprinkled with some nuts and a bit of Fiber One cereal helps keep me full. I also eat hard boiled egg whites stuffed with hummus. I don't like being hungry so I make sure to eat every three hours, sometimes more often in the afternoon. Works well for me.

Rayelle 03-07-2008 08:14 PM

Good Advice Sheila! I have the same problem that JoaniT has, I really like the egg whites with hummus...great idea! Good luck Joanit!

Gela 03-07-2008 08:49 PM

For a treat I eat the chocolate Fiber One bars. They are very satisfying and delicious. I am rarely hungry because I choose high protein and high fiber meals and snacks. I'm guessing the yogurt had some protein or fiber in what was added to it.

bigtxmomma 03-07-2008 08:54 PM

The yogurt you really liked probably had higher protein and fiber, which made you feel full? What about yogurt with granola or oats? Or making a smoothie with some fruit, yogurt and silken tofu, and topped with nuts?

I think maybe the key is to find something you can get mentally attached to. Cravings are conditioned responses, really. So something that would signify the end of eating. Maybe a stick of gum.

But, I guess the big thing is that you should never let yourself go hungry. Can you have "free" foods, like a big salad with low cal dressing, or maybe some soup? For me, sometimes when I feel really hungry, I make fake Ramen with vegetable broth and shirataki noodles, and it reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy satisfies me even though it's only like 30 calories.

kaplods 03-07-2008 09:44 PM

The Low-carb and to a lesser degree, South Beach style of eating reduces my appetite significantly.

Changing my birth control also helped (stacking bc, so that periods are missed or shortened). This was recommended to me by a doctor. She said that for some women, progestin causes hunger, cravings, and binging. (Helped be alot, but not as much as the low-carb).

JoaniT 03-08-2008 12:24 AM

thank you all for the suggestions! i will look into high fiber/protein meals, cottage cheese.......ehhhh.... i dont think its for everyone, yet i still am genuinely greatful for the input. today is my first day on this site, yet i am positive it wont be my last. once again, ty girlies

joylove26 03-08-2008 01:13 AM

Great advice has already been given so I'll just say that I agree with them. I just wanted to add that you should make sure you drink a lot of water. Really, don't underestimate how much drinking a lot of water helps. It is very, very important for your body. Also breaking your food up so that you're eating more often during the day. I prefer eating small meals more often than eating 3 big meals. High fiber foods are also great for keeping you fuller longer.