Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #1  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Height: 5'4"

Default Insulin Resistance

Hi everyone! I haven't been around 3FC for a few weeks because I dropped and destroyed my laptop . Now that I'll be able to be back a little more regularly (I have a desktop hidden away in the basement ) I just realized this morning that I post all over 3FC and don't really have a "home base" on but would like it to be this board

I had posted a few weeks back (not sure where lol) about being unhappy with my rate of weight-loss. I am working out at least four days a week doing 45min cardio and 30min of weight training, I am also following weight watchers religiously. On Friday I went to see my Dr. who agreed that given the effort I'm putting in (I'm bustin' my butt over here lol.) the results are not what they could be soooo....I'm going Monday for blood work to see if I'm insulin resistant. If I am he'll prescribe me metformin again (I used it to get pregnant with my first baby.) Prior to my pregnancies I had borderline IR and had GD with my last baby so it would make sense.

However, If everything comes back normal he said we could try Meridia for a couple of months...we'll enough rambling from me lol I'm off to the gym

Have a great day
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #2  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Wow, well I certainly hope you find out if anything IS interfering with your weight loss! I know that must be very frustrating. Whether you have IR or not, I hope that the lbs and inches start melting off for you soon!

By the way, you started a thread in General Chatter asking everyone to guess what your name was... we even had a follow-up thread asking where you'd gone because we were all so curious! You should dig up the thread and let us all know finally!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Insulin resistance and weight loss can go hand in hand. I have 'insulin issues' as I like to call them, PCOS with hypglycemia. Sometimes it can make weight loss difficult but not impossible. I don't take any drugs other than BC pills to help regulate my hormones.

I also tried Meridia without luck but I had to be taken off because my normally low blood pressure shot through the roof which is a precursor to 'bad side effects' with Meridia.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Height: 5'4"

I am insulin resistant and didn't have good success with WW. I'm wondering now if it had to do with the carbs. (???)
I "just" began to do South Beach...the book addresses the insulin resistance and I'm hoping for good success with this plan! If I do well, it definately will be my plan for life!!! I've been searching (and this has been several years, even) for the right plan for me!
I wish you well and hopefully by being here we all will have good support.
frustratedieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #5  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Cheers from the West Coast!
First off - did you drop your laptop from a really high surface or onto cement or something? Mine has been dropped more than once and my 2 year old has jumped on it and peeled about 5 keys off completely (should have seen the IT guys face when he saw that - oh, yeah, it's a work computer ) Just curious because I was starting to think they were bullet proof!

I'm so sorry to hear that your weight loss has been slow,especially when you have been doing all that exercise and sticking to your plan. That must be frustrating. I don't have any experience about IR but as far as Meridia goes, I understood that it was to help decrease your appetite and it doesn't sound like that is an issue if you aren't having any problem sticking to plan. Just a thought.

Let us know how it goes!
Robyne
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote