Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh Lord.

My big weakness is anything starchy - bread, chips, potatoes, etc. I can't count the number of things I've done. I don't think I could come up with a "worst". They're all bad.

Made a huge pot of mashed potatoes (like 4 large potatoes worth) and ate the whole thing myself, covered with butter and sour cream.

Eaten an entire loaf of garlic bread (dripping with melted garlic butter) in one sitting.

Eaten an entire bag of Cheetos on a car drive, and then gone thru McD's for meals. Actually car drives were the worst - I frequently drive 5+ hours to a site for my job and would buy 2 or 3 bags of chips PLUS stop at drivethrus along the way ... and eat it all by the time I got to my destination.

Eaten an entire bag of sour cream and onion potato chips mindlessly while sitting in front of the TV.

Made a hash brown casserole just for me and eaten the entire thing at one sitting.

Lord. I could go on and on and on. It's truly disgusting.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #17  
since 10/23/07

S/C/G: 286/ticker/136

Height: 5'5"

Wow! I thought I was the only one!

I would go out for lunch at McD's, then stop again on my way home from work. Then eat a full supper...then go out to the 1am at Taco Bell.

I would buy those huge bags of halloween chocolates and say they were for the kids who came to the door...but halloween would come around and the chocolates had already been eaten. I didn't want to be caught so I would run to the store and get more.

I used to buy alot of chocolates in duplicate...one for the house and one for me. Of course I hid the one for me and consumed it when no one was looking.

I used to take out the trash at all weird hours to hide the fact I had just finished an entire 1/2 gallon of ice cream in one sitting, or had just polished off an entire 6 pack of hersheys bars.
jay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #18  

Location: I live in far west Texas - and I love that good ol' southern hospitality and good ol' southern food!

S/C/G: 255/227.4/150

Height: 5'7"

PhotoChick - that driving is a killer for me too! I'd like to add another thought to this thread...because those urges just haven't magically disappeared. What is everyone else doing to combat this behavior that has landed us in the land of blubber?
chunkydunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #19  
Journey to New Self!

S/C/G: 287/272/268

Well tonight after class I had an urge to buy a king size reeses bar! I dont know..I was doing so well with my eating today...I'll try harder to resist the urge next time. I've purged my food secretly a few times...I've wrapped by stomach with suran wrap And wore a gurdle under it. I remember eating a whole pizza alone. I think a lot of the times we do these things to ourselves to fill some void or to see how far we can go with ourselves or we do it because we can! It takes a strong person to figure the consequences...so I'm glad we all are doing that!
whitlockdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #20  

Honestly at this point, after a year+ of eating healthy, I can say I don't have those cravings any more. In fact I'm actually repulsed by them. I stopped at McDs a few weeks ago for the first time in well over 8 months and after 2 bites of a regular cheeseburger, I just couldn't eat any more. It was too greasy and too much.

I honestly can't remember what I did to get past the cravings in the beginning. I know it was hard and I remember coming home and crying sometimes becasue I felt like I couldn't do it.

Now it's easier. My body has adapted to not having those things, so those quantities of junk and grease actually make me feel ill ...

Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #21  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

I'm sure we all have our stories, especially since, we all have been over 100 lbs overweight.

One of my binges that was an undeniable wake-up call was when I ate a whole 12 piece KFC dinner--by myself. I felt so sick and gross. I was attempting to feed that void. When you realization hits you, gahhh, it was so embarrassing; I was so ashamed. Now, I would never think of putting all that unhealthy food in my body, at one time. It used to be a mandatory 3 plates full of food at any buffet. How disgusting!!! I think we are like other addicts just in a different form.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #22  
Recovering Pizza Addict

S/C/G: 273/235/150

I've been a compulsive/binge eater for years, so picking a "worst" is tough for me. There have been many occasions where I would just eat everything in the house. The last binge I remember before I started my new journey to health was driving to town in the middle of the night, getting two double cheeseburgers and a large fry from McD's, then pulling into Dunkin Donuts for three sausage egg & cheese croissants and an extra large dunkachino -- all of which I ingested in less than an hour.

As for what I do about those urges now. Well, honestly, I don't go anywhere near fast food. And I have had a couple of mini binges, but because my house has been scoured clean of junk, one of those binges was of turkey chili and baked tortilla chips, and the other was fruit salad. I just couldn't seem to make myself stop eating them. This is a behavioral thing I'm trying to address with the Beck Diet Solution -- the whole mindless eating thing.
hafowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #23  

I have spent thousands of dollars on "repurchasing" and hidden binge foods -- I think I could have saved up enough to take the family to Hawaii!!

Used to bake a tray of brownies after everyone went to bed and eaten the whole tray, many, many duplicate trips for fast food (from one drive thru to the next), I used to not be able to drive without "survival food" -- like if I'm not chewing, I'm going to crash (and that was back when I was thin ). The worst was when I would get up in the middle of the night and crave something so bad I would go to the store at like 2:00 a.m. to get it (lived alone then) -- even scrapped up change from all over just to afford something.

I have a horrible habit that I've trained myself into because I'm afraid to eat around people (like no one notices I'm 100 lbs overweight) that the minute the house is empty or everyone goes to bed I swear I start to drool and can't seem to stay out of the kitchen, but I'm getting better.

The trait that makes me the saddest is that I eat my kid's stuff -- anything I've bought for school lunches, they usually see 1 and I eat the rest before they can have any more -- any treat they get I eat, etc. Not something I want to teach them.

Rambling, sorry -- just a very personal topic that I definitely relate to, unfortunately, such a crazy obsession!!! I'll get there

Last edited by shelby897; 02-18-2008 at 10:24 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #24  

That whole getting up at 2 a.m. thing and going to the grocery store? Yeahhhh. Done that. Bag of chips and dip mix at 2:30 and thank God Kroger is open 24 hours cause I'd DIE w/out it.

Uh huh.

And you know ... even typing that, part of me wants chips and dip now. Good thing there's nothing in the house to tempt me and I'm NOT driving to the store at this hour!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

seeings threads like this reminds me i'm not alone. I can't even think of ONE worst i would do...
I started hiding food/binge eating when i was a little kid - I was "chubby" so my thin mother constantly had me on diets.
when she wasn't home or looking, i would grab entire boxes of granola bars or nutrigrain bars to hide in my bedroom. i would hide the wrappers in my closet or dresser until i could safely throw them away when she wouldnt notice.
I was a latchkey kid and i taught myself to bake so that i could make cookies, brownies, etc and just eat the batter.. often a cookie recipie (from scratch!) that was supposed to make 3 dozen cookies would only make 12 after i was done with it - and then i would eat those, too! I can still make choc chip cookies without reading a recipie because i did that so often..
then high school .. i was an althetic teenager and that is the only reason i wasn't morbidly obese THEN. breakfast and lunch were light, but not healthy. then, after school i would get FOUR hot dogs with all the fixin's from the cart, go home and order a pizza from dominoes, and then eat dinner once my parents got home. that's like 7 billion calories over the course of 3 hours.
mcdonalds? i WORKED there. i could eat all i wanted when i was there, and take things home. 4 double cheeseburgers during my shift and then a 20pc mcnugget later was not uncommon. on days off, i would walk to a closer one and order SIX double burgers, and take them home and eat them.
i didn't gain weight until after high school, because i continued these habits, without the practice and games every day.
so take those habits+ a couple nights of drinking, and that's how i made it to 250 by the time i was 23. I knew i had hit rock bottom one night after a night of drinking, i came home, stopped at the 711, got two 12" grinders, a bag of chips and then fried a pound of hamburger and melted a pound of mozz cheese in it. and ate it all.
and i still didn't do anything about it for several years after that.
the reason i'm NOT at goal yet is because i fell back into these habits during a very stressful period of my life. i'm lucky - i maintained and gained very little weight back.. but i could have been where i am now two years ago. NEVER AGAIN.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I am a bad closet eater as well... I remember when I lived with my ex, I used to buy things like chocolate bars and candy and then hide it somewhere I knew he wouldn't look. That way I knew it was going to be there when I needed it and most of the time he would never even see it. The worst for me was probably the day I ate out of the garbage...
I had bought a tub of those gummy candies and eaten about two thirds of it in one sitting. I was so repulsed by what I had done I sealed the tub up and tossed it in the kitchen garbage. A couple of hours later I was combing the kitchen again looking for a snack and realized that the tub of candy was still in the garbage (by this point buried under other garbage). Well, I'm afraid you know what I did next... yep, I reached in and pulled out the tub and proceeded to finish the tub. Yep... rock bottom.
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #27  

Raw chocolate chip cookie dough, like Pillsbury...enough said!

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I never hid it. DH was right there with me eating a whole package of double stuff oreoes in an evening. Three McD cheeseburgers for a meal (with fries and a shake). Splitting a large pizza.

I really don't know if I could do this if he wasn't doing it, too. Now we share one of everything. Oreos are not allowed in the house. If the girls want them, they have to keep them upstairs where I don't see them.

McDonalds stock is probably down - just from us 100 clubbers!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #29  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ladies!!!!!

I was getting so tired of hearing other people talk about their "awful food habits" and feeling as if they had NO IDEA what I was capable of consuming in one sitting. My whole family is big, but they're pickers...

I literally tell people that I'm "rarely stuffed" and it's sooooo true!!!! Like another person said, I ate such "epic proportions" of food throughout my life that it would be hard to describe just one!!! And, like others, my husband was there with my chowing down the food... we both became such AWFUL, un-embarrased eaters around each other.

So... I'll pull one out for you. Even though I've lost 22 pounds since I started this January '08, we did have one MAJOR binge a couple weeks ago. We went to a bed and breakfast the weekend before V-day... and we figured since a gourmet meal was included in the package, we should also buy some valentines chocolates to eat in bed that night. So we downed the 4 course meal (steaks/prime rib) and came back to the room where we ate an entire 1 pound of sponge candy.

The next day comes and we get a free country breakfast. We down that (pastries and muffins included YUM). We went home and we said (I know, we should learn to just shrug it off and move on) we said, "Well, since the diet is blown this weekend, let's go out and buy horrible foods and get it over with."

So the two of us went out and then ate for lunch: a package of 6 corndogs, a full bag of tortilla chips, an entire jar of cheese salsa... then later that night we ordered a large pepperoni pizza (finished 3/4 of it) dipped in blue cheese... that came with 2 free orders of garlic butter breadsticks (about 8 per person). GONE. ugh...

It's awful---- but at least I'm not alone. Even with a month and a half of dieting, this mythical "stomach shrinking" thing has not occured (and never has in my long history of dieting!!!)

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 02-19-2008 at 04:15 PM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I was in the grocery store yesterday and in the cream cheese section there was this HUGE tub that said, "ready made chocolate cheesecake filling." By Philly. It was a big thing you are supposed to spread into a 9" pie crust to make 8 servings. As soon as I saw it, I thought, "If I were not eating healthy right now, I would have bought that tub, went home, and would have eaten the entire contents with a spoon before the kids got home from school."

And that's the truth...
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote