3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Beating the winter funk.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/134332-beating-winter-funk.html)

NESunshine 02-13-2008 01:33 PM

Beating the winter funk....

I don't know about anyone else but I've totally got the Winter blues! I can't wait for Spring and some warmer weather, skies that aren't gray, sunlight earlier and later etc. During the colder months I've been eating more, exercising less, and becoming more and more antsy every day. I just can't wait to go outside, see something green, go for a walk or hike, breath fresh air. I'm going totally stir crazy insane being indoors all the time.

With all of this I'm slowly gaining weight... which is a huge problem for me cause it's something that I do every winter and I'm having trouble breaking past that. I feel like during the real cold months I just lose any and all motivational mojo, I'm all talk no action, I get lazy, I pack on some pounds, I feel depressed, and I whine about it. Then once I get that first 60* spring day I'm right back on like nothing ever happened....this happened last year too. BUT, then I've backtracked and end up having to re-losing my winter month pounds before I can move forward.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anybody have any strategies to surviving the last few weeks of winter? Any thoughts on how to break this cycle!

OH... and on a positive note it's officially 25 days until daylight savings time and 35 days to the first day of Spring....longer and warmer days are finally in sight!

missymckibben 02-13-2008 02:24 PM

I'm planning my vacation!

Missy

dali78 02-13-2008 02:27 PM

Look at old pics of yourself and see how much you have changed and do some workout videos. Don't give up, warm weather will be here soon. I think we are all feeling that way right now. You are almost in onderland!!! keep it up!!

SCraver 02-13-2008 02:35 PM

Maybe just focus on maintaining for now? Do what you have to do to get through the next month without gaining...

I see you are in the Boston area... I live in northern CT. The weather ESPECIALLY sucks today! I read an article about how people do better when they can get outdoors - as far as being helathy and active. The article went on to say that even just hanging a pretty picture of the outdoors with lots of GREEN can help. I guess it's something about seeing the green grass and the green trees...

midwife 02-13-2008 02:43 PM

I was just thinking the same thing, NE. I am having a hard time exercising this week cause I am working during the daylight hours and I do not like to run outside when it is dark. We have an elliptical but I would rather run and I am not sure I *want* to be on the elliptical from 8 pm to 9 pm tonight. Even with TV or music, it is just boring! I am looking forward to summer, when I can run at 6 am and it is cool and light or I can run at 7 pm when it is cool and light.

I know that I am very sensitive to lack of sunlight. I used to live in San Diego and the daily morning cloud cover put me in the worst funk. Now I live in a place that is bright and sunny most of the year, but I need more of it in my life. I need the sun to rise earlier and set later.

It is also easier for me to lose weight in the summer. I am far more active and all the fresh fruits and veggies are fantastic.

C'mon SUMMER! Or even Spring. Yeah, spring would make me happy too!

just_a_dreamy1 02-13-2008 03:24 PM

Only 35 days until spring? :cheer: :cheer: I can't wait!!

I feel the same way during winter, especially after it's been here for several months. So BLAH!

The things that help me are focusing on the fact that summer WILL be here before we know it, looking at pictures from summer trips/vacations (I even have a screensaver of pictures at school :lol:), and putting my bikini/summer clothes in plain sight. Oh yes, and just FORCING myself to get off my butt and do something! The exercise makes me feel better.

Best wishes :hug:

Brendansmum 02-13-2008 03:42 PM

I have been feeling the exact same way. I can't seem to get motivated. I think I have the winter blues. I remember when I used to go to the tanning bed, yeah, bad I know. I used to feel really good once I got out. Just laying there in the warm light made me feel great. I was talking to my husband and I may go a few times before spring comes. I think it will help me get back on track. I need to change my ticker as well, cause I've gained about 5 pounds since my backslide.:(