Old 02-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #1  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Default sit up quandry

so im still sore from yesterday, however i sorta want to do sit ups anyways.
is that a bad idea?

someone told me once that i could work out my abs everday and be just fine, but other muscles need a day or two to recover.

im not reallys sure if that true....

i dont want to hurt myself, i just want rock hard abs
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yeah, I think that's true. You're more likely to get burnt out than hurt yourself. However, make sure you also include back exercises. If you don't work your complementary muscles, you'll end up getting hurt.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You actually can do abs every day, if you are not using weights to do your exercises with. However, when you are first starting, don't over do it. You might want to take a day off to let the muscles rest, since they aren't used to the workout yet!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #4  
Meg

There's a school of thought that abs are like every other muscle group and need a 48 hour rest between workouts. I had a chance to hear the head trainer for all of Ballys gyms talk about abs, and he said that working them every day causes micro-scarring in the muscle, which will keep them from strengthening and developing.

Really, what's the point of doing abs every day? Three times a week is plenty to strengthen your ab muscles. And Jessica has a good point that you need to work your complementary muscles (lower back) as frequently as you do abs so not to develop a strength imbalance that can lead to injury.

There's a saying among bodybuilders that "abs are made in the kitchen". What that means is that six-packs and rock hard abs come mostly from what we eat (or don't!) In reality, we all have six-packs but they're covered by fat so aren't visible. Great abs come from low body fat -- and low body fat comes from clean eating and cardio to burn calories. So, in my opinion, the best exercise for abs is cardio, not crunches.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I just wanted to say that Meg said it beautifully!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

I, too, ditto what Meg said.

I would like to add, though, that recently I read an article that said if you want "rock hard abs" you need to up your cardio...the way the article put it, cardio is like a 'cleansing' of the body and helps to tone all muscles (as long as you are doing weight resistance training). Of course, while you are working out it helps to contract your abs.

Let us know if you find something else that works!

Last edited by Tonia; 02-14-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

My trainer told me that the BEST way to work my abs (and my butt) was to stand up straight and contract my abs and glutes while on the elliptical. He said that too many people do their cardio while slumping, holding on to the machine, with a swayback, and their tummies pooched out.

He said to get the most from your cardio workout, use your hands to barely balance yourself on the machine if necessary, otherwise pump your arms as when walking/running. Tuck in your butt and suck in your tummy. Keep your back straight.

It also works to make your cardio a lot more effective overall - it ups the intensity and makes you work harder.

So far it's been a positive result for me and I can definitely feel the difference in my tummy and my butt.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh I just want to go over and whack people who don't stand up straight. It's one of the things my mom made a big deal about. In the grocery store you see every one slumped and leaning on their carts - stand up straight people I try very hard not to support myself with the handles of the elliptical, but only use them for balance. My latest aim is to see how long I can go on before I have to balance myself. Treadmill is easier that way. I only hold on when I want to check my pulse rate.

Last edited by WaterRat; 02-14-2008 at 07:44 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #9  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

thanx all for the good advice, ill try the balancig act ont he eliptical from now one. that makes a lot of sense. and your right, meg said it beautifuly!
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote