Old 02-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #1  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

Default Sort of OT: Plus size dresses

I guess this is kind of off topic, but I need to shop for a plus sized dress (to wear to a wedding). I go to Lane Bryant and Torrid IRL, so I'll be looking there. I looked online and found a couple of places (Kiyonna and IGIGI) that looked like they had nice dresses.

Does anyone know of any good stores or online shops or designers or anything?

Thanks so much!!
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 380/286/175

Height: 5' 6"

I like avenue.com. Also jessicalondon.com. I'm in the process of losing, so don't want to spend too much, but still want something with a little quality to it (avenue is higher quality than jessica london). Avenue's dress selection isn't as extensive as jessica london, either, but you can give it a try. Good luck!
musictchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Personally I have my eye on a dress from Zaftique.com, but I haven't had anything fancy enough to wear it to that pushes me over the hurdle of wanting to spend the money.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Catherine's is always a good place to look. If you don't want to spend much because you plan on continuing your loss, I have gotten some high quality second hand things on Ebay. Would be worth a look anyway.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #5  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Hey TX...not sure how fancy your wedding is, but I ordered this one off of Amazon on a whim for my anniversary. I cannot post links yet (still a baby member) but it is the "Marilyn Satin Halter Dress Plus Size" by PacificPlex. I was pleasantly surprised that it was an excellent plus size party type dress and was not trashy satin. I received lots of compliments on it! I got the black (wanted the brown but they did not have my size) and wore it with a pretty shawl over my shoulders and arms...as they are not ready to see the light of day OR NIGHT yet. A light wrap sweater would be cute too. Good luck!
Manick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #6  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Nancy, Zaftique really has cute stuff! Glad you mentioned it! I love OT when it is about clothes!
Manick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

A few years ago I bought some very nice items from Ulla Popken to take on a cruise. It was probably the only time in my life that I felt properly dressed for the occasion. I was surprised that a couple of women actually asked me where I had bought the items (also a first for me).

http://ullapopken.com/
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't have a suggestion because I only ever bought dresses at Lane Bryant.

We do have a shopping forum here though that has some links to websites for various clothes.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=204
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just got in the JC Penney spring catalog and there are several cute dresses I wouldn't mind owning.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #10  

Hi,

Do you have the store Ross Dress for Less near you? I've bought some nice dresses there for very cheap. You do have to kind of dig through the messy racks, though! They have plus sizes.

Good luck!
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #11  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I had to buy a dress for my office grand opening last year and the only place I found a nice dress was at Nordstroms. It was a beautiful dress. It was also on sale. I know Nordstroms is a bit pricey but I prefer the quality. They usually have 3 racks of items on sale...so might be worth looking!
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8"

Try Nordstrom.com or Macys.com. They both have beautiful, well made dresses and occasionally you can find a good deal!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #13  

I found quite a nice dress at Macy's for my niece's wedding. It was in the "current" style last summer, so I didn't feel like the fat frump in the crowd
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My problem is that I always worry about the quality of clothes I'm buying.

I can say that I am officially a Kiyonna fangirl. I have a couple of dresses and they last years. Even AFTER the Cute Boyfriend put one (dry clean only) dress through the washer and dryer TWICE. I love their stuff because I don't feel like it's going to fall apart.

I have had luck with a few dresses from Torrid but I really have to see them in person because so much of their stuff is low quality.

Thanks for the Zaftique suggestion!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Jessica, just like you, I used to worry a lot about quality. However, seeing as I'm currently going down a size every 3 months or so, price is a much bigger issue than durability. I still don't want something cheap looking, but it really doesn't matter right now how clothes are going to hold up over time.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote