Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default do you eat diet desserts?

Hi,

When I was grocery shopping, I stopped to look at Weight Watchers desserts, low fat frozen yogurt and Skinny Cow ice cream. I decided not to buy anything for a few reasons: they're expensive, and I'm afraid I'll get the taste for sweet food again if I eat them. I also don't want to have a whole package of anything like that in the house for now. I'm trying to satisfy my sweet tooth with fruit instead.

Any advice or input? Do you buy these things once in a while? I'm really trying to emphasize "whole" foods and not eat a lot of processed/chemical stuff anyway.

Thanks-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't but it is mostly because I don't care for their ingredients. I know some people make their own "healthy" desserts.

For me, one of my most favorite things lately is plain unsweetened soy yogurt with frozen berries in it.

If you want to emphasize whole foods, I'd look at creating/making your own desserts. Or using fruit as a dessert (which I do often) Or perhaps buying whole fruit juice bars that don't have added sugar. (I think those exist?)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I did during most of my loss, and continue to do so in maintenence...sometimes i homemake healthier things, too, but only when i want something different.

I figure that if I'm eating 90% of my daily calories from clean whole foods, the other 10% won't make that much difference in the long run.

I bought an ice cream machine and used to make frozen yogurts with yogurt, fruit, and other healthy ingredients...tasty and healthy.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #4  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I don't. It would be one thing if they came in single serving packages but if I had six Skinny Cow ice creams in my freezer, I would eat 6 SC ice creams in one afternoon.

My desserts are fruit based. I know that I won't pig out on apples and figs or bananas. And if I do? Oh well. There's only so much damage I can do.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I do very rarely, mainly because I try to eat a Whole Foods lifestyle but also because I don't want a box of things in my house (like 100 calorie snack packes, sugar free pudding or healthy choice ice cream bars). In my old ways, a box = a serving and sometimes, even now, a serving just makes me crave another serving, and another.

My favorite sweet treats: baked apple with blueberries, roasted pineapple, frozen mango, dip a banana into 2 tbs of heated pumpkin butter, or a whole wheat natural peanut butter roll up.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile In theory I agree but.....

When I began the South Beach Diet I wanted to do it the way the plan was laid out so I did purchase some sugar free desserts like hard candies, Jello and chocolate puddings. I have really found that they have really helped curb my sweet tooth. On the plan you are "allowed" 75 calories per day from these choices among others listed in the recipes. I have stuck with these choices because they are more rigid in their portion sizes and I know myself well enough that if I start making some of these dessert recipes I won't stop at one portion. Believe it or not, they have really been all that I have wanted.

I agree that they are expensive for what you actually get. I am relatively new to this plan and right now this is working for me. Maybe, at a later date I might feel comfortable enough to venture out but I too am concerned about having a sugar tsunami. I have already departed once and saw how sugar does affect me; including (which surprised me) eating kernel corn! THAT started a craving for more!

I totally agree that going with whole foods is always the best choice but when you can't for other reasons then whatever will help you stay OP is the next best thing.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-05-2008 at 12:15 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not very often. I love the WW key lime pie, but it can be a trigger for me because I'm definitely a carb addict, and it's way too sweet. I also think they're way too expensive. I do buy the Yoplait light dessert flavored yogurts ocassionally - maybe once every couple months (boston cream pie, key lime pie...) and the Yoplait "whips" chocolate raspberry and chocolate cherry. The whips are high in sugar and can also trigger cravings (one carton never seems like such a small serving), so if I'm going to have one I try to eat it in the evening as my last snack for the night. The chocolate cherry is my absolute favorite, and I eat it as slowly as I can with my smallest spoon so it seems like more.

My favorite "legal" (I'm aiming for a lower carb, mostly whole food diet)
dessert is frozen berries. I whir them in a blender with a little milk to make an "icecream" or more milk for a shake. I use a little diet lemonade or diet soda (sprite or mountain dew, usually) to make a "sorbet," more for a "virgin daquiri." Usually the sweetener in the diet soda or milk is plenty, but if the berries are a little tart, or I'm craving something a little sweeter, I add a little Splenda.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #8  

Hi,

I know what you mean about the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches-those are dangerous for me! I'm better off not having it in the house, and going out for a small, lowfat frozen yogurt if I REALLY want it.

Neile, I've been eating Fage yogurt with honey, wheat germ and blueberries-yum!

Sherry

ETA:

glory: how do you roast pineapple? Can you roast chunks, or does it have to be slices? That sounds delicious!

I also recently discovered pumpkin butter-I love it!

Last edited by suzie76; 02-05-2008 at 12:16 PM.
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #9  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

I do. I'll treat myself to carb options ice cream and once in a while a 100 calorie pack. I guess I can be strong when it comes to sweets while on a diet. I can hold myself back to just eating only one a day whether it be the ice cream or the pack. I know I should try to do it with fruits but there aren't any in the house right now, haven't done my REAL grocery shopping yet. I think you should stick to your fruits as desserts or like others have said, make your own. If you are strong, I would say go ahead and treat yourself but only to a minimum. Good luck
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

There was a great dessert idea from someone on here (I printed it, I'll add it when I get home this afternoon as I can't remember who posted it). It's diet jello mixed with yogurt. They call it "fluff". I think it would satisfy the sweet tooth and it's pretty low cal. Though the diet jello isn't "whole", it's just a thought. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Last edited by peachcake; 02-05-2008 at 12:17 PM.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #11  

Oh, and I find it hard to satisfy a sweet tooth with fruit this time of year because it's SO hard to find yummy fresh fruit. I will eat a piece or two of dark chocolate. Or drink some wine.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #12  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Height: 5'4"

Yup every night! I'm doing weight watchers and I always plan it When the kids are in bed and I'm back from my workout I relax with a nice cup of tea and 16 junior mints (only 3 points!) very satisfying mmmmmmmm.
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #13  
nearly indestructible

S/C/G: 241/117/160

Height: 5'9

I try to spoil myself. So I feel like unless it is absolutely the best dessert of all time, it just isn't worth the calories or the way I will feel if I eat something like that. If Emeril made it personally, I might eat it, but if it's some garbage bought at the local grocery store, I'm not doing it.

I know what you mean about not having those kind of desserts in the house. If they aren't there, I won't eat them.

But I've been tempted. All I have to do instead is to look in the mirror and that dose of reality and the thought of how great I will look makes the urge disappear.

And the fruit helps curb the cravings. I know I'm just starting out (again), but I'm just danged determined. I'm stubborn like that
JaneZoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Suzie76

Hey Suzie, I've roasted both chunks and rings, I just put them under the broiler until they get browned and look kinda done. Pineapple is a good fruit for this because it's so sweet, the sugar in the fruit caramelizes and tastes great.

Pumpkin butter is fabulous, I love all the fruit butters - cherry, apple, sweet potato. I actually was not wild about peach butter, but I tend to only like PEACHES themselves and not peach things.

Peachcake

Hey Peachcake, when fruit isn't in season, frozen fruit is a GREAT option for sweet treats after dinner. My favorites are dark cherries and frozen mango. Awesome all year long! Wine, however, is also good, heh.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #15  

I'l have to see what my grocery store has as far as frozen fruit... it would be a better alternative.