Old 01-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #1  

Default I'm losing weight because....

I know this has been done before, but I think I had my "a-ha" moment yesterday.

There are so many reasons to lose weight -- to have more energy, feel better, dress better, etc. But, it hit me yesterday -- that I am actually killing myself by staying overweight.

Someone must be trying to give me a hint, I swear every magazine I picked up showed someone with a large weight loss that had severe health issues prior to this, many who had the issues disappear as soon as the weight was gone.

They all seemed to talk about higher risk of heart attack, stroke, etc. to all of us with that "middle abdominal weight gain" and that losing just 10% of our "fluff" could decrease our risk.

I can try to ignore the lack of energy, the severe swelling in my ankles/feet every night, the fact that I dress like I just crawled out of bed because most cute clothes are for the thin, but I can't avoid the fact I'm leading myself to a stroke/heart attack. I swear I think this information scared me to be thin again. I want to accomplish this before it's too late.

The thought of my kids having no mother because of choices I make every day drives me crazy!! I also have a brother-in-law who had two strokes last year (he is one of the healthiest people I know!!) and to watch what he and my sister went through was heart wrenching -- and I'm actually subconsciously choosing to risk that. What's wrong with me??!!!

So, have you read/learned anything lately that helped keep you on your "path to weight loss"???

Last edited by shelby897; 01-28-2008 at 03:57 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #2  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

Hi =D I'm a newb but I thought I'd post anyway because your message was pretty interesting.

I agree with you. Unhealthy eating increases many health problems. For me, fear isn't a good motivation for weight loss. I would say that most people who overeat are self destructive to begin with. I know I am. Having the media tell me I might die is kind of like preaching to the choir, I guess.

For me, I want to be limber again, and be able to run around with my daughter and not feel like an overburdened whale. I think I've always neglected my physical presence and been rather mean to my body, and I don't want to do that anymore, and I certainly don't want to teach that to her, either.

Anyway, interesting post. =D
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #3  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I got tired of being disgusted with myself...at my weight and how much I ate.
I was closer to being 300 lbs then being 200 lbs, the highest I had been before gaining this time was 205 lbs.
I wanted food and my weight to not be the only thing I thought off all day and night.
I wanted to get back in "regular" sizes so I can shop at any store instead of wondering if they have a womens sections (or I as loving call it the fat section).
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

I am facing that as well. My glucose levels are starting to switch to the diabetic level. Next in line is a stroke or a heart attack. That scares me to do something too. The taste of the food is so NOT worth that. I keep thinking that is my realistic consequence for all the years that I have been bingeing, for every other reason, instead of just fueling my body. Intuitively I was always aware that I was killing myself slowly. The enormous food and beverage that I have consumed on over the years is not healthy or normal, not to mention the thousands of dollars I have wasted on unhealthy foods.

A trip to your local doctor to see where you stand is an incentive to change as well.

I can't imagine how much fat is actually on my heart right now. I am working on changing that.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #5  
A loser losing happily

S/C/G: 280/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I am losing weight because ....

*I am to young to feel so old.
*I have never tucked in my shirt and its about time that I do.
*I love to dance and hike and my knees are starting to not agree my hobbies.
*Health Reasons
*I would like to one day have a family of my own so I might as well get started being healthy now.
Tavinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I think the shift for me finally came about in large part because I could start to feel that my life depended on it.

In addition to that and all the other consequences of being severely obese, it finally became more painful to stay fat than to eat less.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #7  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I'm losing weight because I want to dance! And do other fun active things!

Although I could have in theory done those things before losing weight, I couldn't have done them to the extent that I would have liked to. I want to be able to move quickly and at 381 lbs, that wasn't going to happen. The reason why I listed dancing first though is because it had always been a dream of mine to be a really good dancer. I *loved* dance class when I was younger and when I was 8 and taking some classes at the recreation center, I decided to ask my dance instructor about joining a dance studio that competed so that I could be a more serious dancer. I went on and on and on about it on one of our free days (after our recital that year) to my dance teacher and when my mom came to pick me up, the dance instructor pulled her over to the side and spoke to her. She basically told my mom (in the nicest way possible, although not really communicated here) that although I was one of the best dancers in the class, I was too fat to compete and that she didn't want for me to go to one of those dance studios and have my dreams crushed. My mom told me what she had said later and I never took another dance class, with the exception of my required PE class in high school. I was HEARTBROKEN. I wasn't even that fat... I was chubby, yes, and by dancer standards I guess you could say I was, but still... it always stuck in my mind as one of those dreams I had that I never pursued. So that's one of my big big goals for losing weight.

I'm also doing it for my health, but considering the fact that I'm only a month shy of 20, I haven't come across any major health problems yet that my weight has caused me. So, although I know it is a preventative measure, that's not something that is "real" enough to scare me into losing weight.

Oh, and I'd love to wear cute clothes and be able to shop anywhere I want, so long as it's not a plus sized store .

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 01-28-2008 at 05:17 PM.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Shelby, that's EXACTLY how I thought about it when I *finally" made the decision to lose the weight.

It was the thought of my 3 daughters having no mother at their weddings. No mother to guide them through the rest of life. I was simply terrified of dropping dead from a heart attack or having a stroke or getting some totally avoidable cancer. I KNEW it was not a matter of IF, but WHEN. And I *finally* realized that I didn't have to keep on putting myself at added risk for all of these dreadful, dreadful diseases. I was constantly worried about my health and I figured giving up the food, though VERY difficult, had to be easier then living in a constant state of worry. And giving up the food, though VERY difficult, had to be easier then the life I was living. My quality of life was EXTEMELY poor and I simply could not go on how I was anymore.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #9  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I am losing weight to be healthy and in order to keep the health that I have.

I started this journey (for the 2nd time) in Feb of 2005. In May of 2005 I was diagnosed with chronic myelegenous leukemia. After that, I knew that I had to keep going and get to my goal weight, as well as take on a more whole foods oriented way of eating and exercise more. My goal is to be as healthy as possible to help keep myself in remission and live life to the fullest!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'm losing weight because I'm eating healthier and exercising. This time is different. I'm not focusing on the weight loss and am instead focusing on healthier meals and at least 1-2 hours of exercise a day. I've had all the other reasons in the past—to be healthier for my kids, so I can run and play with them, to ride roller coasters again, etc. This time I can say, for now, that it isn't about the weight loss but about me be a healthier, more energetic person.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I'm losing weight bc I want to be healthy, I dont want to feel so rundown and tired anymore. I also dont want my weight to keep me from doing things which it has in the past, I think it contributed to why I am so shy today. I want a husband and a family and I want to look my best and feel my best.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #12  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

I am losing weight because I'm tired of just watching kayak polo on Tuesday nights.

Because my very hilly town has recently begun adding bicycle trails all over and hills are hard on a bike with all this extra bulk.

Because I don't want to be the hypocritical health care professional lecturing about losing weight when I myself need to do the same thing.

It doesn't help that there are super cute clothes in the boutiques in town that couldn't even fit my current thigh. If I'm going to making a killer salary soon, I would like to be able to spend it on fun things like clothes and shoes since I've never done that sort of thing.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #13  
Shrink Spot Shrink!

S/C/G: 324/324/215

Height: 5' 11"

I'm losing weight because:
-I don't want diabetes (and it's headed straight for me)
-I want to wear nice clothes again
-Carrying around extra weight is physically uncomfortable
-I want to live an active, full, long life
-I want to have children
See Spot Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

MY OMG moment came a few weeks ago when I was cleaning a closet. I came across a box of clothes. In it was things I wore when hubby and I were dating. It was mid/late 80's and mini skirt were in style. I had two of my favorites in there. I looked at them and thought...OMG I wore this at one time??? Then as a joke I tried in on...on my thigh. It was actually a little snug...I looked in the mirror and thought this is just so wrong!!!!

That was my moment....these are my reasons

*Because I am tired of being winded after walking up one flight of stairs

*Because I am tired of people treating me like I am STUPID sense I am overweight

* Because I need to lower my blood pressure

* Because I refuse to buy another wardrobe in a larger size

*Because I like the way I look when I am at a healthy weight

*Because I like the way I feel when I am at a healthy weight

*Because I am worth it

Notice I do not have because I want to wear my mini skirts again. I was 22 years old then. I hadn't had children. I want my goals to be realistic and attainable.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #15  
vek

S/C/G: 203/ticker/180

Height: 5ft2"

I want to practice again KARATE, like in my teenage years. I said KARATE, not SUMO.
vek is offline   Reply With Quote