Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Default Oops!

Okay, so yesterday I confessed I had a latte (non-fat, decaf)...and wondered how much damage that cause me calorie-wise.

Well, I have just discovered a "trigger food". I was doing great all day, went to visit my sister in law, brought my own chicken and brown rice for lunch all portioned out and 2 apples. Brought the kids lunch bags too with all their snacks and lunch. Organized. Read for the day. Bring it on!

Then I take the kids to piano class. It was a long afternoon and maybe I did not bring enough snack for myself (ie. looking back I needed more veggies packed). Every thursday at piano we go to a local bakery and I get 1 small star cookie for the kids (shortbread , 1/2 dipped in chocolate). So usually I would order cookies for myself, sometimes delicious biscoti...etc. but not this time. I told Gerald (the baker) that this was my year, no cookies for me and he bantered back that it was going to be a long year! He wasn't trying to be mean, and actually it made me chuckle. I ordered my drink. I was satisfied with my little indulgence.

Okay, fast forward to dinner. I ate well, on plan, life was good.

Strangely about an hour after dinner I kept thinking about my latte. Dreaming about chocolate. I was even watching the Season 1 of the TBL Australia. That stuff always motivates me to stay strong. But not last night.

I caved. I got some chocolate, and then mindlessly ate more chocolate.

I feel really bad about it. But I am going to stay strong today. Because in the past I would just think it was all over, but it's not for me this time. Today is another day. I am going to plan, eat well and stay on track- because it feels great to eat well and be healthy.

Sorry to everyone for not being strong last night!
Ginger

edited to add: So I've learned : I MUST stick with tea. Coffee seems to always trigger chocolate cravings. It was such a huge part of my lifestyle (coffee/with cream and chocolate for breakfast). UGH! I really didn't think a latte at 4 in the afternoon would cause cravings...but it did.

Last edited by kissingginger; 01-18-2008 at 11:25 AM.
kissingginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Now you know and you can plan for it. We all have found things out like that the hard way. It's a process. (I personally no longer allow myself to have certain WW snacks in the house, as I found out I was binging on them, even though they're "healthier".)

And goodness, do not apologize! It's not always about being strong. Sometimes we're only "strong" because we've been there-done that and now plan ahead.

Last edited by Lovely; 01-18-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #3  

Ginger,

Good for you for figuring that out! I can't keep even "healthier" treats in the house-like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. I'd eat more than one a day until the whole package was gone! Cookies, brownies-forget it! Can't have them here, either.

Take care,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Ginger, yep it's a learning process, and unfortunately sometimes we have to learn by screwing up. But the good news is, it's not fatal, and can be helpful. You now have some very useful information.
I wondered when I read your thread, you said the latte was nonfat, but was it sweetened? If there was sugar in it, that may be what caused your cravings later, not the coffee itself. Of course, it may have just been an emotional craving, as you thought. Just food for thought...
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Thanks Faerie and Schmoodle!!

yes, we all make mistakes...I've learned that coffee is a no-no. Lyn07 somewhere recently said something about associating a coffee with a cookie, and for me it's chocolate.

It's all okay though....without realizing it, I kicked my own *** today outside working out. I went for a nice comfortably paced walk around the neighborhood for 45 minutes (instead of the usual treadmill in the playroom....grandma has the kids!). Got to my house which is at the top of a dead-end road that goes steep downhill and thought....mmm, I could go down there once and get back up, let's see if I can do it.

Oh-Oh. I get down the hill and I give'r all I got all the way up, and I think maybe I can do that again? Honestly I thought I would just do it once. But by the time I got down the hill I was back to normal breathing again, so up I went.....and on and on and on.....for about 45 minutes. I have a mini Jillian Michaels in me, screaming at me to get to the top and just when I think my lungs are going to collapse, it's time to go back down again.

So finally I've come inside the house and now I feel physically sick. As in throw-up sick. I didn't realize how hard i pushed it. I am going to PAY for this tomorrow.

Cheers, Ginger
kissingginger is offline   Reply With Quote