Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/245/130

Height: 5'4

Default Come ride on the mood swing express

Hi all,
I think this is my first post on this forum.

I'm very new, and I'm aiming to lose about 115 pounds but I've noticed whenever I start dieting I become really emotional or edgy. I'm usually a very mellow person but when I start dieting and exercising, although I don't feel bad, I can cry or snap easier than usual and tend to go from one to the other for no apparent reason.

Is this normal? Is it highly abnormal?

I don't know if it's because in the back of my mind I feel deprived of food (but I'm eating so I'm not deprived) or if admitting I should and can do something about my body takes away my security blanket of denial.

If I'm not alone someone please tell me!
LizaSnodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Liza! The moodiness is completely normal. Part of it is your body adapting to the loss of sugar, excess calories, etc. And, a big part of it can come from the mental effort it takes to change your normal behavior and coping mechanisms. Sometimes, this journey is a bit rough in the beginning. But, stick with it and you will have awesome results on the other side.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Liza,

Don't worry--it is normal to have some feelings come up when you begin a change like this. Take deep breaths! Seriously--it's a big adjustment, like GirlyGirl said. And also, you might be feeling some fear! That's also normal. Feel the feelings, don't act out on them, and stay with your plan. Make sure you are getting good nourishment, be sure you get enough rest and drink enough liquids (water is best), and keep going!

You can do this--it will get easier the longer you keep going.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Liza!!

Totally normal!! But it does get better. I'm down to being moody once a month, now.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #5  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

I'm certainly in the same boat as you! I'm getting plenty of healthy foods. And I'm not hungry. But sometimes I feel sort of down or unfulfilled anyway. Everyone says that this will subside as you re-adjust to your new lifestyle. I hope they're right. Until then, I try to have lots of things on-hand that can distract me when I start feeling a little... off.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5 feet 1 inch (in shoes)

I am right there with you Liza, I am the same way. I have a very short temper and usually I am the calmest person in the room. At the beginning of the year and the beginning of healthy eating (again) I would have 3 or 4 bad days, and one good (mood wise) and now it is more like 1 bad day for every 3 or 4 good days so it seems to be leveling off.

Hang in there! It will be worth it!

Last edited by okiechick; 01-17-2008 at 09:10 PM.
okiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:43 AM   #7  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Now, I am known to be moody in general, but even my fiance could tell you it was especially bad when I started losing weight -- I didn't really notice it until you said something about it -- now I think I can attribute that craziness to sugar. Though I guess I am doing a slow wean... I still eat more sugar than I should. I actually need to do fresh start and get back on track... I've just been miserable with a very heavy period, which makes any exercise look scary. >_<
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/245/130

Height: 5'4

Thanks guys for your feedback I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one! Althought it makes me pretty sympathetic for those around me!

Rakel, I think my moodswings had to do with sugar too. Because I actually started getting a headache and then I had a cup of hot chocolate (only 8 ounces though, I even measured) and watched some stand-up comedy I felt better. So maybe I'm addicted to sugar, chocolate or comedy.

And thank you all for the warm welcome.
LizaSnodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote