Do you plan specific cheats? Help!

• Hi,

I know this is a BAD question to ask. What if you're REALLY craving something specific and you know nothing else will substitute? I've only been on plan for two weeks and feel like I really should not "give in."

In my case, I'm craving a chicken wrap/fries from Red Robin. I know it's horrible for me....help!!!!

Thanks!
    Sherry

Oddly, I'm a chocoholic and have not been craving chocolate since I started, which is very weird. I'm craving salt and it's not TOM.
  • What I usually try to do if I am having a craving and it won't go away is plan it in for the next day or two days from then. Many times just knowing that I could it if I wanted to is enough and don't end up having. If I do then I don't feel guilty knowing that I've had something that's unhealthy. It's one meal. It's when you let those one meals turn into two, three and old eating habits. I have found that if I am craving something and I don't eventually give in, I will give in anyway and start binging on anything and everything.
  • Personally, yes. Well, actually first I will often see if there is a lower calorie version that will satisfy me, but if not I will have it. I count calories and so if there is something that just won't leave me alone after a period of time (usually a week or so) I will plan it into my week. I might have a lower calorie day before and after to give me the extra space to eat it. I find that if I don't, I will be more tempted to try and substitute something else, not be satisfied and end up eating more.

I also agree that giving myself permission to eat if often causes me to not want it anymore. My head is kind of screwy like that.
  • Hi,

Well, I had to dig, but I found the nutritional info for what I was craving-OMG!!!!!

http://www.redrobin.com/home/customizer.aspx

You have to first "customize" the specific item, then the tab for nutritional info comes up.

They really bury it on their website-the chicken wrap and fries has over 1500 calories and eighty grams of fat-my god!! Okay, I will definitely just make a low fat chicken wrap at home!

Major reality check-I knew it was fattening, but that's like a day's worth of calories...and if you drink anything besides water or diet soda, it's even worse!

Thanks for your input!
    Sherry
  • First: It's not "cheating", if it's planning for something that you want. Like barbygirl43 said, she plans for it.

Another option: Can you make your own (maybe slightly healthier) version? I know the fries are difficult to duplicate, but the chicken wrap you might be able to truly get away with making on your own, and may be just as satisfying.

If making your own doesn't work out, go and get your meal, but only eat half at the restaurant. Remember to take the time to enjoy the taste when you eat it, too. You'll be happy to have eaten what you want, and to have not eaten as many calories.

You can do this!
  • I do plan cheats occasionally.. for instance my parents are taking us out for lunch on Sunday... so I'll keep my weekend calories a bit lower and have a burger and salad... and a couple fries when we go out. I think having the odd guilty pleasure keeps me from falling off the wagon completely. lol I just play with the idea once in awhile.
  • Hi,

I made tuna/low fat mayo on a wheat pita. I had a couple of tortilla chips with it, and diet iced tea. I was craving salt and "crunch" and this satisfied me.

Thanks as always for your support!
    sherry
  • I dont think that it is a bad question. You can only deprive yourself of the "bad foods" or unhealthy foods for a certain amount of time until you snap. TRUST ME... been there done that lots of times.

The best thing is if you want something then eat it. But before you eat it make sure you really want it and be aware of the consequences before hand. You may gain a pound, you will need to exercise a little more that week. You may be come bloated if it has alot of sodium in it.

I count calories and sunday is the day that I allow my self 1 thing. Whether it be a meal, cake, chocolate, chips... etc. and I eat it and that is it. But if there is something that I want throughout the week then I wait until sunday.

I hope this helped....
  • I try not to give in to those random cravings for junk, just because I don't want to eat junk. 1500 calories for one chicken sandwich? I don't think so... It would have to be a pretty extraordinary chicken sandwich to fill up my whole day's calories...

I do want to say that if you go ahead and eat something you're craving, and it puts you very much over your calories for the day, you might experience a weight stall. That's what happens to me. It takes a few days before I get back on track again.

To me, "cheating" is eating something you don't list in your FitDay or whatever other tracker your using. It just hasn't been worth it to me to cheat like that. I do plan for the calories on days that I'm going out to eat--but I don't think of that as cheating.

Jay
  • My plan has a free day every month and I have one calorie counting free meal a day. If I couldn't eat my favorite things I would have not made it very long. Everyone can't handle "cheats" or free days, because they might binge or something, but without them I would have quit around pound 2.
  • Why don't you just make a healthy version of the chicken wrap at home, I'd take a plain chicken breast grilled with lettuce, onion, tomatoe etc. For the fries, take a plain baked potatoe, cut it into french fry spears, bake in oven and sprinkle with no sodium seasoning, WALLA you got your craving taken care of the healthy way and you can munch guilt free being it is HEALTHY and it won't set you back on the scale either...
  • I always plan a cheat day.

It doesn't mean I'll actually cheat on that day, but it makes it easier to say "no" now, if I give myself permission to have it in the future.

And often by the time that cheat day gets here, I'm over the craving and don't really want whatever it was any more.
  • We always have a cheat meal once a week - usually on fridays. We usually plan what we want to eat a week ahead of time, but sometimes it doesn't usually work out and we go elsewhere.

Originally we were planning to go for sushi, but instead we're going to bingo tonight, so I'm going to get a chicken burger from Wendy's, and because it's higher in calories I'll have a baked potato and diet coke instead of fries and regular coke.

Then if I get hungry later, I'll probably grab a small bag of popcorn at the bingo hall without butter of course.
  • I wouldn't say I have a "cheat" day but like some other people said I plan around times I know will be higher calorie. For example I am going to a baby shower tomorrow, I know I will have a small dessert and some snacks so I will plan the rest of my day accordingly. That's what I love about calorie counting, nothing is off limits you just have to be smart. I know myself and I know that if I went to the shower and didn't touch anything "bad" I would end up binging later because I would feel deprived. So I will allow myself small servings of the things I really like and count that into my calories for the day.
    I can't handle a "cheat" day once and awhile, it will throw me back into the cycle of I'll binge today and just start back on plan tomorrow, but never get on plan.
    The only time I will be off plan is during vacation. But I can usually maintain my weight on vacation because I'm being active and eating with other people. I only binge if I'm alone and bored, and that doesn't happen on vacation.