Tell me your favorite condiments

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I count calories, aiming for at least 40% protein and less than 50 grams of fat. This morning I fried 2 eggs (using only Pam) and put them on one piece of whole grain bread for an open faced sandwich. It was too bland for my taste and the only thing I had to add some flavor was Duke's mayo, which I used 1 T and it added 100 calories and like 20g fat to my day

So...I am wondering what you all buy (or make) that can be used on sandwiches, chicken, etc. just to add a little flavor...or even like marinades and such. Just what are you favorite condiments, or ones that you absoutely didn't like? If you have an idea on calories and fat that would help as well.

Thanks guys!
  • Common condiments that I use are...
    Dill relish
    Mustard (various kinds, minimal calories)
    Salsa (various kinds, usually around 10 calories per tbsp)
    Spices (various kinds, mrs dash, pepper, cayenne, dill, chili powder, cinnamon, etc)
    Lemon juice
    Capers
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Dried onions
    Dried garlic

For your eggs, why not use some spices (such as Mrs Dash) and then use some mustard? It would only add a couple calories and no fat.
  • I also love to use Salad Spritzers. They've got basically no calories and are great on almost anything. Mine are Wishbone brand but there are lots out there.
  • Heinz low carb ketchup (low sugar/low carb)
    butter spray
    Butter Buds / Molly McButter / Molly McCheese
    All the Mrs. Dash flavors
    balsamic vinegar
    Better than Boullion (all flavors)
    Walden Farms Hickory BBQ sauce
    Hickory Farms Hot n Sweet mustard / dijon mustard
  • I try and make all my sauces myself and most of my condiments even mustard. I like to control what's in them. I make batches about every two weeks.

my ketchup
    my bbq sauce
    my hot wing sauce
    my honey bbq wing sauce
    my classic (the kind kids love) creamy french dressing
    my salsa

I make lots more but these are current favorites.
  • Well I'm going out on a limb here, and I'm gonna say my homemade green sauce and homemade salsa.... it's by far the best!!! And goes with just about anything, awesome with chicken and salad too! I make a ton of it and freeze it in small bags for on the go snacking.
  • Hot sauce!! Yum!

Also, I love sprinkling spice blends on my food. Penzey's has a bunch of good blends. I really like their Satay seasoning, Bangkok blend and the Chinese 5 spice. Lemon pepper is another good one.

I use BBQ sauce (measured out) and A-1 as well.
  • Wow, am impressed with all the homemade sauces. I would love to make my own and know exactly what is in them. Do you all have any favorite recipes you can post?
  • absolutely!!! Give me a few then dash on over to the Recipes section; I'll post in a few minutes.

Keep in mind I have been cooking since before I could walk, so behind every recipe there are ten more LOL, but all in good time
  • I like Dijonnaise--it tastes like a combination of mustard and mayonnaise, but there is no mayonnaise in it! 5 cals per teaspoon, 0 fat!

I also like hot sauces, especially on scrambled eggs.

Jay
  • Franks Red Hot Sauce
  • okay here is the post as promised:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...53#post1988553

enjoy!
  • I love salsa, too -- on eggs, burgers, mixed in with beans.
    If I need something on a sandwich, I like Dijon mustard. I can go overboard with mayo (Hellman's) so I am trying to avoid it completely for now.
    I also like Spike, an herb seasoning that comes in regular & salt-free. This is wonderful on raw or cooked veggies, and makes an interesting addition to garlic toast.
    Curry powder, garlic powder, and cinnamon all make regular appearances on my plate, too. Usually not together, though :-)
  • Holli!
    I posted that just as I left work and went shopping. I just got home. The recipes sound yummy. I will have to go back to the store tomorrow. I did cruise the condiment (wow you have to be really careful typing THAT word, this thread almost got a lot more interesting!) aisle while I was there and found some roasted red bell peppers, I put them on my sandwich when I got home. Yum! For tomorrow's breakfast, I think I will make that open faced egg-beater sandwich that Purplefirefly talked about and add the peppers.
  • Duke's DOES make a low-fat mayonnaise!!

My absolute favorite dry spice - is found in the Mexican food section of my local grocery store (here, Walmart or Food Lion or Harris Teeter) and it's called Complete Seasoning (or Saizon Completa)..it's awesome!! A mix of garlic, herbs, etc.... and it's wonderful on ANY kind of meat or fish and also as a salad topping, without adding calories!