Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #1  
Smartypants

Talking Homemade trimmed down Frijoles a la Charra!!!

Okay I am finally sharing my recipe after so many requests for it lol!!! Enjoy ladies!!!!

You will need:
-a crockpot
-a package of dry pinto beans - 16oz
*get dry, the canned has way too much preservatives
-smoked turkey bacon, straight out of the package, don't cook it beforehand. I cut mine up into bite size pieces with kitchen shears (saves time)
-2 bunches of cilantro, snipped with your kitchen shears
-a bag of frozen chopped onions (or fresh, enough for 3 cups)
-8 large fresh jalapenos, seeded to your level of hotness, sliced in half then sliced again.
*i.e. the more seeds you have the spicier it'll be; if you don't like it too spicy, take all the seeds out
-9 roma tomatoes, chopped
-2 packages of lean turkey sausage, sliced
*for variety, you can also use chicken, but you need to brown the chicken first before adding it in, or do 1 pkg turkey sausage and a lb of chicken.

rinse your beans, then put them in your crockpot with 3/4 of the way full with water. Set on high for and once heated, let em stew for 3 hours. then, add in all of the other ingredients. Let it stew for another 3 hours. Serve up with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro leaves with a fresh salad - yummo!!!! Low cal, tons of protein, and oh so good! Or even better, fix your salad with green leaf lettuce, sliced roma tomato, 1/4 avocado, and then in a small processor mix up cottage cheese, low sodium taco seasoning, a stream of olive oil, and fresh cilantro for your "dressing" - wooooow!!!!

And yes, you can freeze this; I freeze one big freezer bag for another night of cook free dinner, and then a few regular size freezer bag for lunches

BTW because this is so low fat, this is very friendly towards olive oil, so if you want you can drizzzle some in the soup for extra fullness

Last edited by txangelgirl; 01-01-2008 at 11:30 PM.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote