Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I watched this last night and thought it was very refreshingly different and positive. Enlightening too, as the only bodies we are generally exposed to are airbrushed and perfect. No way I would have agreed to stand in my underwear or pose nude though. I think I've had nightmares like that before! I thought she was very brave.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #17  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Height: 5'6"

Overall, I liked this show and its premise. Too often women of size try to make themselves "invisible" by dressing in schlumpy clothes, poor posture, etc., and the program very clearly demonstrated how those tendencies often have the opposite of the intended effect, or just make you look bigger. I also loved that the "people on the street" were very supportive of Layla, saying "that's what REAL women look like!" It'll be interesting to see what issues the upcoming participants have -- it looks like there aren't only weight-related image problems that will be addressed.

However, one thing that irked me about this show (maybe about life in general ) is the tendency to objectify women. I'm by no means a prude, but hate, hate, hate that "looking sexy" is the language they revert to when they define what a positive image is. I think that attitude does more damage to women -- and their self-images -- than anything else in this society. I don't want my daughter to acquire the attitude that no matter what hand life deals her, being sexually attractive is the trump card.

Ok, stepping down from my soap box before I fall off! I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5 feet 1 inch (in shoes)

I watched this last night too and was pleasantly surprised. It is nice to know through forums like this and now shows like that one, that most people have body issues and that perfection isn't natural.
I don't believe that a person can overcome all their body issues in a week, however, I am not willing to get in front of a national audience in my undies and less in order to find out. She will always have this experience to look back on and remind herself that she is beautiful just the way she is.
okiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I watched the show. The premise is good, and there were some good parts. I especially liked when they showed clips of the same woman dressed 3 different ways, and the frumpy/schlumpy looking outfit, that I have worn variations of myself to hide my body, actually make the woman look the heaviest, and the worst. Dressing that way also gives off signals about lack of confidence.

Overall, though, the show left me feeling a little uncomfortable. Somehow I felt the overall tone was a little patronizing and false. I'm trying to decide if it's me or the show.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote