the ONLY one I consider is EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2007, 03:50 AM   #31  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
Butter! You just have to limit how much. I just don't think that margarine can possibly good for you when it has nearly the same chemical makeup as plastic. Spooky!
i have also been made aware of the fact taht margarine is only a few chemicals away from plastic....ugh!! thats not food!
i try to eat food that is as close to the earth as possible... so butter it is for me! just not, you know, a deep fried stick of it in one sitting...one smidge per sitting will do.
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #32  
Laura Croft in Progress

S/C/G: 198/159/125

Height: 5'9

yummm..butter!
miss highmaintenence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #33  

I love butter and when something calls for it I toss it in, or on whatever the case may be. However, I use a lot of Olive Oil too. I'll use natural lard from time to time if I could find it! Yeah I know, but I'm just keeping it real.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #34  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

It really varies for me, but I guess I would have to say good magarine over butter. Although I don't really use either, I'm a more of a soybean / olive / sesame oil kind of gal. Or I use water when "frying." (guess that would be more like steaming?)
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

For cooking I use Pam Canola Spray or extra virgin olive oil.

I use 'I Cant Believe Its Not Butter' spray or Smart Balance Lite spread on my veggies, oatmeal, bread etc.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #36  
active kids, active mom

Earth Balance
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace View Post
Margarine is so much worse for you than butter could ever be.
I really think it depends on the margarine and your health issues. Butter is full of artery-clogging saturated fat, and if you have heart health issues like high cholesterol, butter can do some damage.

According to the Mayo Clinic, "Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats — polyunsaturated and monounsaturated — than butter is. These types of fat help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol, when substituted for saturated fat." However, because of the trans fat issue, you need to choose one with the lowest trans fat content (look for tub margarine). Also, there are a lot of new spreads out there that are plant-based and can help reduce LDL (the bad cholesterol).

I think both have some health consequences so it's just a matter of what kind of health consequences affect you the most.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #38  

Height: 5'8

I try to substitute olive oil/non fat dressing whenever I can (cooking, with veggies), but certain things (bagels or buttered popcorn from time to time) do call out for it. I just make sure I eat those things in moderation. I don't like the taste of margarine.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #39  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Ever since I saw Dr oz on Oprah and he said that margarine is only a few chemicals away from being plastic and he demonstrated what it does in your arteries I dont use it. I mostly use EVOO and I cant believe its not butter spray. I use butter on my toast.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #40  
weight watching

Butter. I try not to eat any trans-fats. I have to cut back on it. I use it on vegetables mostly, and a thin spread on bread, two slices a day. I can't imagine living without any butter, but I limit the use. (I'm on WW, so if I stay within points, I figure I'm okay. I use 4 points for butter a day. Somehow, even though in my off-program days, I think I'm made of butter, I have low cholesterol.)
Bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #41  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek6 View Post
Ever since I saw Dr oz on Oprah and he said that margarine is only a few chemicals away from being plastic and he demonstrated what it does in your arteries I dont use it.
I really think it depends on the margarine you use. Check the labels--all margarines are NOT created equal. Many now have zero trans fats and are packed with vitamins and minerals. I think that margarine = plastic is a bit of an outdated idea with the variety of "buttery spreads" available today (even if it was recently on Oprah--yes, some margarines are pretty evil, but I don't think it's a fair blanket statement).

I'm not saying that people who don't use margarine are wrong--just trying to point out that people who DO use margarine are not necessarily eating eavil in a tub
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #42  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
I really think it depends on the margarine and your health issues. Butter is full of artery-clogging saturated fat, and if you have heart health issues like high cholesterol, butter can do some damage.

According to the Mayo Clinic, "Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats — polyunsaturated and monounsaturated — than butter is. These types of fat help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol, when substituted for saturated fat." However, because of the trans fat issue, you need to choose one with the lowest trans fat content (look for tub margarine). Also, there are a lot of new spreads out there that are plant-based and can help reduce LDL (the bad cholesterol).

I think both have some health consequences so it's just a matter of what kind of health consequences affect you the most.
After I wrote that I remembered that Smart Balance is...margarine.

And how funny you cite Mayo Clinic, guess where I just back from.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #43  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I never use better or margarine. I don't see the point. My steamed vegitables taste yummy without it so why bother?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #44  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

My daughter came home from school the other day. The subject in her science class, margarine lol. She was shown that margarine is about 1 molecule away from plastic. They watched a video how it was made and talked about all the stuff in it. She now says she would die before she eats the stuff lol. She told me about this today so I thought I would share the information lol.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 AM   #45  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

I have no desire to use either. I do use "I can't believe its not butter" spray on my popcorn. Jillian Michaels, either in her book, or on TBL found out a contestant was using this. She pointed out (label claims 0 calories, fat, etc) that because it has like 1g of carbs per spray, that equates to 4 calories, and that means they were using hundred's of calories at a time. I have heard this same argument about Splenda. Any thoughts on either??
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote