Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #16  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Purple--sugar alcohols are mostly found in artificial sweeteners, like sugar replacements. They're used to replace the sucrose in food, and mask the icky aftertaste that most artificial sweeteners have. They're good because they cause a less dramatic change in blood sugar than just full table sugar would, but they're bad because over-consumption of them can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, bloating, and...uhhh....farting. Lots of farting.

They also contain quite a bit of carb, and tend to add up quickly.

Food yesterday was horrible. I cooked the stupid hot dog casserole, and had to pry myself away from it. I went over my calories, didn't get in nearly enough water because I honestly just forgot to drink it, didn't move nearly as much as I should have. But today is another day, and I'll make it through.

I will not be defeated by a bloody casserole!
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #17  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Hi! I can almost see the top of my desk again....sometimes it just doesn't pay to take a day off!!!

Nicole--Glad you could pop in to let us know you are ok. Take a deep breath. One thing at a time. Easy for me to say, I know. You can do this! Good for you for maintaining, not an easy thing this time of year!

Sara--You can do this too! How's that tattoo healing? Any word from the doc on being able to exercise more?

Rakel--I know something will turn up for you. Keeping you in my thoughts!

Beverlyjoy--I bet your b/w will come back really good! Good luck w/ your back.

Purplefirefly--Yesterday is over. Today is a fresh start. Is there any way hubby can go to a nutritionist or maybe get some diabetic related counseling for nutrition--even looking online might be helpful. I have decided that the cleaning will wait until January. Laundry can't wait, I will straighten the house and vacuum, but real cleaning will have to wait!

Rhonda--Happy Anniversary! Mmm, nice steak dinner sounds great!

Schmoodle--Oh no, not the refrigerator! Great advice to purple! How do you make your tomato/eggplant bake? It sounds yummy!

Today is a HUGE test of willpower. It's our tree decorating contest day at work. Our entire hallway is a food fest of high calorie high fat foods. I did treat myself to one strawberry with a hint of chocolate from the chocolate fountain--although I did have an image in my head of the commercial of the lady sticking her whole head in!!!! Then I went back to my office! I am drinking lots and lots of water. Tonight I am going straight to the gym for cardio and weights (arms/shoulders).

Later tonight we are celebrating my younger brother's bday--he's turning 30! I can't believe it!!!! I may have a taste of cake, I don't know. If I do, fine, although I will try not to.

Ok, I have tons of stuff to get done. I probably won't have time to pop back later, but I will try to.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #18  
baby steps

MJ--tattoo is healing fine, it's just sloooow going. Doctor STILL doesn't want me to exercise any, which annoys me to tears. I have a bunch of stretches and strengthening exercises I'm doing to get the muscles around my kneecap back into a position where they can hold things where they're supposed to be.

That's my main problem; I've torn my ACL and MCL so many times that they're pretty worn down, and so my muscles try to compensate for that, and they just aren't strong enough. They've got a lot of weight to support, and until they're back to where they need to be, I'm pretty limited.

I was doing fine on the treadmill for a while, and then all the repetitive motion got to me, and the doctor put a big fat "X" on that and told me to stop. *sighs* How do they expect me to lose any real weight if they don't let me do anything to move?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

That sounds so frustrating, Sara! To say lose weight, but you can't move, seems crazy...but I know it can be done, and you're going to prove it, right?

I just came back from the second school party and I am starving, but I am avoiding the kitchen because I am hungry enough to just start ripping things open and going to town. I think I will take the kids to Subaway instead, where I have to pay for it, and that will control me I feel so pathetic, but I am right in the mood where I would normally just eat, eat, eat and I don't want to do that. I am fighting so hard, the stress is just piling up right now.

I thought all we had was Christmas for next week, but daughter's cheerleading coach just gave us a list of dates and I realize she has to be at practice, in her full uniform and all, 7PM new years eve!!!!! Insane, but he says she absoutely must make that, it's crucial I might not make it to 2008 sane!

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 12-18-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #20  
baby steps

I didn't make it into 2007 sane; my goal for 2008 was just to make it half-alive, and that seems to have worked nicely so far. It seems a little unfair to have cheerleading practice on New Years Eve, but that's just me.

My niece wanted spaghetti for lunch, but I managed to persuade her that Subway would be much better. I knew I wasn't going to be able to handle cooking her spaghetti and not eating half of it myself, so I just chose the easiest way out I could think of and removed myself from the house and from the kitchen.

I've got NO clue how long I'm going to have her this time, and she's just getting to be such a picky eater that I'm about to rip my hair out. She won't touch bread, anything bread-related, or anything that looks, smells, or tastes remotely like bread. I can't get her to TOUCH a vegetable recently, and the only fruit she'll eat is frozen berries. She's almost 4, and I swear, I feel like my life is being run by someone 1/5 my age.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Sara, why is you have her all the time? Just being nosey you are doing a good thing helping them out, and you are positive in her life, proud of you!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Wow, that was a long day chicks. All I feel like doing is zoning in front of the computer until it's time to read and tuck in the kiddies. I think I'll go to bed with my book as soon as they are settled.
I had to go in to my office today, and that's a 90 mile drive each way. Then I got to listen to government people argue, and make a showing at the office Christmas lunch. The traffic was terrible, 2h45min to get home. It's days like this that remind me to appreciate being a telecommuter. At least food was okay. At the restaurant, I just ordered a grilled chicken breast with salsa and drank diet coke.
Sara, although I am tempted I will not even ask what's in the hot dog casserole. It sounds like something my kids would enjoy a little too much and I've been working really hard to convert them to healthy eating as much as possible. As you might imagine, it's slow going. I had a great pediatrician, an old family friend, before we moved. Once when I was worrying about my DD's pickiness, he told me he once had a patient who ate nothing but French fries for five years, and he survived just fine.
purple, I hope he can adjust without too much trouble. It does take some time to make changes like that. And just mentally adjusting to the fact that you have a permanent health issue. Anyway, hope you won't spend too many nights crying in the bathtub! My DD was on a competitive dance team for many years and it used to make me crazy when they scheduled practices on holidays. The coaches take it very seriously. They also used to get them in there on Sundays, and church-going teammates were not too happy about that. I always kinda thought that if the parents just got together and put their collective feet down, that would make a difference, but I found that most of them were just worried about staying on the teacher's good side, so their daughters wouldn't miss out on good parts. Thanks for reminding me how much I don't miss that craziness! If younger DD ever decided to go down that road, I am now just too old and ornery to put up with it.
mj, one chocolate strawberry is nothing! You should be very proud. For the eggplant thing, I just cut 3 eggplants in half inch rounds, and fried them on the nonstick griddle until lightly browned. Then layered in a pan with marinara sauce, and a can of tomatoes, drained, and mozzarella and parmesan cheese. I also threw in some capers and black olives I had hanging around. Then just bake. It was really yummy, DH loved it too. Kinda like an eggplant lasagna or eggplant parm.
Well, chicks, I wish you:
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #23  
baby steps

Basically, we have my niece a lot because her parents suck at life. They would rather sit her in front of the TV and let Spongebob Squarepants raise her than have to do it themselves. And because she is my niece, I'd rather just have her here than wonder if she's getting fed or not, or how many days it's been since she's had a bath. She's actually not even my blood niece, but I've been basically raising her since she was 4 days old. My step-brother's girlfriend almost died while pregnant with her, thanks to a pre-existing kidney condition and the stresses of pregnancy. So when Helen was 4 days old, I had to take her while Amanda had major surgery to remove her kidney.

Hot dog casserole is barbaric. A layer of hash browns, homemade chili, low-fat hot dog wieners, some lf shredded cheese, and lots of onion on top. That's about as healthy as I can make it, and even then, it's really not great. At least it's filling enough that a small serving usually works, but really, I try not to make it too often.

Dinner tonight was easy, at least. Helen wanted chicken, so I heated up a package of chicken fajita meat. I had mine with fresh fajita veggies and salsa over a salad, and Helen and the boyfriend had fajitas.

I may have some canned peaches with sf Jello later on.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:58 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks!

I went to the doctor - and, she didn't even notice that I had lost 30 since our last visit until I pointed it out. When I pointed it out to her all she said was - "How did you do this?". It made me feel kind of bad. However....that's her personality. Next time I will call her on it!

We did find out that I have a pulled muscle in my back - I need to rest it, ice, heat, take anti imflamatories. I don't know how I will rest it with 6 family members coming stay at our house on Sunday thru Christmas. And then- a big family party on Sunday -about 25 people. I'll just have to enlist their help. My DH always has a positive mental attitude about things. He says...I'll do everything...it will be OK. I know he will too...sometimes it's hard to let go of doing things you're used to doing. But, I'll have to to heal this back.

Quite frankly...I didn't know how I'd feel today about planning a healthy day. I've been really working hard on a goal of lowering my lab work numbers and losing some weight. The blood test was yesterday...I think I did well (will find out at the end of the week). Usually when I work towards a goal...then I run out of steam. However, I am willing to get up today and plan a healthy day.

Today's plan:

gentle stretches, journal food, water!!!, meditate

finish up ten more xmas cards

hair colored at the beauty shop today

rest my back

food

breakfast - cottage cheese, 1/2 banana, pnb toast
snack - carrots
lunch - tuna salad with lite miracle whip open face, veggies
snack - yogurt with flax
dinner - turkey italian sausage with peppers and onios, garlic toast
snack - cherrios, fruit, milk

Since sitting at my computer make my back feel bad...I am going to stop for now and come back later for the personals.

Have GREAT day friends...thanks so much for your support!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-19-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Morning chicks,
Today's menu:
B - coffee, oatmeal breakfast bar, coffee, hard boiled egg, more coffee
S - string cheese, V8
L - leftover eggplant casserole, salad
S - clementine, latte
D - Red Beans and brown rice with turkey kielbasa
S - black bean brownie (experiment of the day)

Refrig repairman coming today, hooray! Hope we are back in business soon. I've got to run out this afternoon and do some Xmas shopping. I won't whine because this is the first time I've been out in it this season. Hopefully won't be too painful, I just need a few things to finish up. My goal is to do it all online, and if I'd planned a little better, I would have made it this year. Maybe next year...
Beverly, rest that back, girl! I know it's hard when things are so busy at Christmas. Let the others do all the work!
Sara, your family is very lucky to have you, and hopefully they realize that. But take care of yourself too. You are very young to have all these burdens and responsibilities. Helen will have wonderful memories of her special Aunt.
Hope all you chicks give yourselves a special little holiday treat today, courtesy of me! Ho-ho-ho!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #26  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Morning everybody,

I'm starting to panic here a bit - I've got 25 hours to get myself to the bus, and there's so much I have to do between now and then. I haven't even started packing yet and I've got so much laundry to do.

The cat started limping on Tuesday night, so I rang the vets and have got him in there. Thankfully I can drop him off at 8am and pick him up after work. I'm going to be late for work - luckily my boss has said that I don't have to make it up this year. I'm probably being cynical, but it's probably her trying to calm me down - I applied for a week's leave in February once the schools restart and was going to go away with some friends. I didn't get all the leave - I have to work the Monday, so no point in going away. Thankfully we haven't made bookings yet and my friends are going to see if they can change leave, but needless to say, I am not a happy camper about that - I've got over 20 days leave and they're telling me I've got to use it, but I can't get the leave when I want it. Grr!

I'm going to try and check back in before I head away tomorrow morning and will try and check in from my parents, but just in case I don't get back online, have a safe and Happy Christmas, ladies, and I'll catch up with you when I get back on the 27th.

love and lots of
Nicole
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #27  
baby steps

Nicole--Have fun and be safe! I hope you find some mental clarity while you're away; I think we could all use some of that sometimes. I hope your kitty is OK!

Schmoodle--That's what I'm trying to learn to do now--take care of myself. For a long time, I didn't do that, and now I've got all this extra weight to show for it. The good news is that after the first of the year, Helen can start going to daycare with my employee discount, even though I technically don't work there anymore. I don't know why my ex-boss is being so nice about this, but she's offered to let us enroll her with the employee child-care fee only. At least that will take care of a lot of the stress. I still have two grandmothers and a grandpa to deal with, but I'm in the process of getting that worked out right now. My dad and my aunt are looking into getting a caregiver who will go to my grandparent's house and just kinda fill in the gaps; laundry, grocery shopping, general cleaning, making sure their medications are in order, that kind of thing.

My grandmother on my mother's side is still going to be "my responsibility" for a while, but we're hoping that after she starts her new medication, it'll take care of at least SOME of the forgetfulness and the mood swings. My whole life, she was the sweetest person I ever knew, and now it's nothing for her to look you right in the face and let loose a string of obscenities that would make a sailor blush down to the core. It's sad, really.

Family is leaving in a few days for some Christmas plans they have, and I can't wait to have the house to myself for a bit! It'll be so nice to just have peace and quiet; I can have all the hot water to myself, and make as much noise as I want without being screamed at. Score!

Man, I've typed a novel already and I haven't even gotten to food yet. The deal is that I've stepped so far off plans in the last week that I really need to get back to basics. It's 2 PM and I haven't had a single thing to eat yet, and you know what? I'm not hungry. That's how much I ate last night, and I feel disgusting.

So, once I feel like eating, I'll have an open-faced turkey sandwich with loads of veggies, and some carrots and ranch dressing in lieu of the chips that I would normally have. We'll have to go from there and see when exactly I eat and how hungry I am, but this needs to be done. I can't go on like this, and I need to stop it before it gets out of hand anymore than it already has.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #28  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Wow, a lot of replies here! Sorry I can't reply to everyone, but here it goes:

purple: that has got to be really rough. I know I should probably nix sugar. I don't have a lot of it, but I do tend to crave a little something sweet every day. It would behoove me to get over that. Good luck and I hope you and your hubby can find some recipes that are delicious, wholesome and filling that he can enjoy without even missing the sugar!

sara: That's unfortunate about your niece, but as a bonus, you probably mean a lot to her, and she is very fortunate to have you. I recently moved 1,200 miles away from my niece and I miss her madly! Stay strong and enjoy your vacation!

Rhonda: Sorry that hubby tempted you with the tirimisu! How did you do with it? How did your dinner go? Congrats on the anniversary!

AND, as for the interview, I think it went smashingly and I am definitely getting a second interview after the first of the year (he's going on vacation next week, understandable). So I just have to try and make it until then, and well, I'm still applying to full time jobs, part time jobs, and freelancing jobs in the meantime. I guess it just kind of depends on the other people he's interviewing for the position, but I felt like he liked me and I definitely feel like I have a chance in this.

As for weight, much to my surprise I was 275 today, which is... gasp... three pounds difference from yesterday where I was 278.

OK! Gotta get something to eat and get ready for church!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #29  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Hi everyone! No time to respond personally, but sounds like we are are doing our best and that is all we can do!!!

I did get to the gym tonight. I only had time for 30 mins of cardio, but it's better than skipping, which the 'old me' would have done. I had the thought, but quickly pused it out of my head!!!!

My knee is a mess lately...it's almost as though the injections made it worse rather than better. I am calling the drs office in the morning to see if that is normal or not. Hopefully they won't want to see me...not sure how I can fit in an appt, it may have to wait until after the holidays at least if they do.

Have a great night!

Last edited by mj5; 12-19-2007 at 05:54 PM.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks...well yesterday I got my hair done and picked up a few healthy things at the store. I cancelled two performances and will reschedule - so that I can rest this back.

My dear friend & neighbor, Shelley, sent her daughter (fifth grade) over after school to wrap gifts. That was a blessing! Then Shelley brought over pizza...it was my first time in three monthes. I ate 2 peices of the veggie pizza, counted it in to my total and I was still OK for the day.

Today my plans are:

alternating ice and heat on my back - and no bending, twisting, heavy lifting

gentle stretches

water, water, water

finish last of the xmas cards

food:

breakfast - cottage cheese and banana, pnb toast
snack - carrots
lunch - Morning Star farm corn dog, caulifower
snack - chocolate pudding (sf), crackers
dinner - grilled lite cheese sandwich, tomato soup, green beans
snack - oatmeal, flax, milk, apple

mj5 - Hope your knee feels better. Have you tried ice or heat?

Rakel - Glad to hear the interview went well. Good luck!!

Sara - I am so sorry bout the change in your Grandma. I know that's hard to face. Take care.

Nicolen - I hope you can work out getting the leave when you want it. So frustrating!

Schooldle - Hope your fridge is now fixed! I like shopping on line too!!

Everyone........have a great day.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote