Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Default I'm in a bit of a predicament regarding my eating habits... please help?

I have this little problem. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out here.

The thing is, I really want to give eating 5-6 mini meals a day a shot. I really do. I think for me it's the best way to lose weight. But then the problem is that no matter what I eat, I feel so extremely sluggish. For example, at work today. I had a 6 inch whole wheat turkey sub with cheese (no condiments) and half an hour later, all I wanted to do was lay my head on the desk and doze off for a couple minutes. Whenever I eat, my mind goes extremely foggy. I can't concentrate for a couple hours after that. You can imagine how low my productivity overall has become.

On the contrary, on days when I'm so busy and don't eat until I get back home at night, I'm pretty alert. I know this is so bad. I do lose weight this way but I know this isn't good long term. But I can do anything and everything as long as I don't eat. I can't do this either because I start obsessing about food all day and eventually give in to a binge a couple days later while I wouldn't if I was eating small portions 5-6 times a day.

Why does this happen to me? I've heard about people who are carb sensitive. A few years ago I used to eat white rice on a daily basis. I'd eat at 2 and by 3 I'd be knocked out. I'd get this sudden spell of sleepiness and fall asleep on the couch or carpet right there for a couple hours. But I thought that happened to everyone if they ate refined carbs.

Is it possible that I need to eliminate all kinds of flour and grains? Or add more fat and protein? I've heard and read those two can really energize you and not give you the sleepy spells. What do you guys suggest?
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #2  

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Whenever I eat, my mind goes extremely foggy. I can't concentrate for a couple hours after that. You can imagine how low my productivity overall has become.
I am the SAME way. I eat and then my mind gets extremely foggy and I can't focus or do ANYTHING. I feel extremely dizzy and tired, very lazy like.

I was wondering what was wrong with me so I hope you get some good replies.

I plan to workout at 5, eat and I feel like ****. And i eat more because I think it will make me feel better but it does not
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #3  

Height: 5'10

I think I might be sugar sensitive. I have a few of the symptoms
http://www.sugarsensitive.com/

Last edited by sweetlovin; 12-08-2007 at 11:16 PM.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #4  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

I highly suggest getting rid of all flour and sugar products to see if that makes any difference. Oh, and also only eating barley or brown rice (or even corn tortillas, they seem to be fine too) instead. I totally have a similar problem and it turned out that sugar and flour (and actually caffeine) were the culprits. The first few days will be killer but after that you'll be amazed at how much more energy you have! (by the way, I also suggest a good vitamin B complex, that could help level you out energy wise as well)
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #5  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Lay off any wheat products for awhile to see if you could have a slight allergy to it. Mine isn't severe enough not to eat it, but I can't eat a lot of it and when I do eat wheat bread/products, I get exhausted right after. I still love it in my stuffing, so I still make it with wheat bread, knowing I'll be taking a nice little nap after dinner before exercising later on in the evening when I have more energy again.

Carbs can also make you tired- try eating mostly protein for your early day meals and have your carbs at night so if you get sleepy, it won't be a big deal when you're home. I save most of my carb meals for night time for this reason as well, although, I'm not too tired from them so long as I don't eat too much of them or any wheat products during the daytime hours.

Keep playing around with your diet until you find the right combination that gives you fullness and energy. One of my friends can eat bread like no tomorrow and it doesn't bother her, but give her turkey and she's lights out for a couple of hours. We aren't all built the same, so what affects one person won't bother another.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #6  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

You'll probably have to just try switching things up and see how it makes you feel. I tend to feel sleepy when I eat a high carb meal/snack. If I balance it with carbs, protein and fat I feel great. I aim for roughly 40%c/30%p/30%f. GL!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 AM   #7  

I had this problem too.

Here how i solved it.

First I had to combine 2 needs:
- Attention while working
- Weight loss

When I didn't eat to stay alert, while dinning I used to eat a lot and my weight skyrocket.

So here what I did:

- Wake up 6:30 am and eat a lot (I used to eat bread with Nutella), Italian coffee, orange juice and Actimel (Pro-biotic)

- 11:00 eat other orange juice (home made, prepared by myself with fresh Sicilian red oranges)

- Lunch 13:00 or 14:00 pm (Eat a lot of salads with proteins- fish, lamb, poultry or cheese) and coffee.

- 18:00 fruits (Banana or apples or pears)

- Dinner 21:00 pm (Pasta, salads and plant proteins- peas, beans, etc...)

It worked for me but I suggest you to ask to a doctor. My diet was tailor made for me after blood analysis and a geneal check up.

Hope this will be helpful.

Enrico
medbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I have the same problem, but found that if i get my carbs from lots of veggies I have TONS of energy all day long! I used to eat a lot of pasta and was tired all the time, couldn't keep my eyes open...now I know it was the noodles! I can't even eat the whole wheat pasta without zonking out. I eat half my calories from protein, then split the other half with healthy fats and carbs...and most of my carbs are veggies and I have tons of energy. I have gone from napping off and on all day long to not even thinking of naps...and thank goodness, my kids are too old for naps now and I'd be in trouble Just play around with it, you'll find what is right for your body. Definitely stay away from those carbs for awhile though and see if there is a difference...try your turkey wrapped in lettuce for a sandwich instead.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think the other posters are on the right track--eat more protein, and less of the carb foods.

This situation may reverse itself eventually--but we're talking months, not days.

Exercise is also really important in improving how your body reacts to carbs.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for all the suggestions Definitely will try laying off on the simple carbs for a while. And JayEll, the exercise post made me realize that it really does help. When all I want to do after a high carb meal is hit the hay, I find walking around briskly DOES help.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

If you base your meals around produce, you will have more energy. I agree about wrapping your turkey sandwich in lettuce... or maybe a Flat Out Wrap. But add tons of veggies to the sandwich: GOOD lettuce like romaine, baby spinach, sliced tomatoes, maybe some onions if you like them, sliced cucmbers. (Spinach really is great). Then add a fruit on the side (apple, orange, pear, kiwi) and some carrot sticks. I really think that would help you. Also, try having some green tea with your meal. Its very healthful and great for energy. I drink it iced with lunch but hot is fine if you prefer.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote