Dr's Orders... stop exercising (temporarily of course)

• Ugh. I figured I was being a trooper by doing all my exercises (no mater the temperature outside) even though I was sick by walking 4 km per day. I have no exercising equipment at home, or time to go to the gym with a full time job (7am - 4pm) and kids.

Now she is saying I have to STOP any kind of activities that make me breathe harder than I have to... or breathe in the cold winter air.

How the heck does she expect me to do that! I ended up with yet ANOTHER bout of Bronchitis. She says that my asthma, allergies being sick and the frigid cold weather has been making me more ill than healthy

She has ordered me stop all "exercise" activities for at least 1 - 2 weeks. If my symptoms don't get better, I may need to take time off of work (heck I'll have a week and half off in 3 weeks!!) I've been sick for 4 months (going from one thing to another, to another, to another etc - I also think I'm getting an ear infection )

She said:

NO walking outside (whatsoever... if I have to take the bus, to completely wrap my nose and mouth is a warm scarf - better yet get a ride).
    NO aerobic based exercises.
    NO treadmills (unless it's a normal slow-paced walk) and deffinately no elipticals, ski or stair machines etc.

What else can I do?? Any suggestions to help me at least get SOME sort of physical activity in without any machines? I'm missing my walks already

Should I get another opinion by another doctor? I really like her, she is proud of me for losing the weight that I have lost. She doesn't blame all of my illnesses from being obese, and she has always been helpful. Just the no exercising part threw me for a loop.
  • So, you can't exercise because of the bronchitis, right? You should be able to exercise indoors after that? You can do so much without machines, right there at home. Think of all the different types of exercises that just use your body weight...push ups (I started by doing them on the wall, then off the edge of the computer desk, then on an exercise step, then finally to the floor now), lots of lunge and squat variations...or think of cardio things like jumping jacks, jumping rope (pretend you have a rope), butt kicks, etc.

You can go to www.shape.com/workouts and get a lot of exercises there that can be done at home.

Until the bronchitis goes away, maybe you can get some hand weights? You can sit down and do all kinds of arm strengthening. You might be able to do some low reps of squats and lunges without increasing your breathing much. Look through that website and I am sure you will find some things you can do.

Oh, what about changing your housework to get more activity...scrub floors by hand? Scrub the walls and cabinets?

I suggest just watching your calories and cutting them back some to adjust for less activity, you should be able to lose some still though.
  • Thanks for the website!!

It's mostly my bronchitis... but she also said that my exercising (which in any other case is "GREAT") is competing with my body trying to restart my immune system.

She says that I should worry about my immune system first, take the time off to give it a good jump start - THEN start back with my usual exercising regime.
  • You're running yourself into the ground healthwise and she's probably right that you need to take a break and just get well.

It's hard to take a break just when you're really getting into the whole exercise thing but take the opportunity to start thinking about what you're going to do exercise-wise all winter long. You live in Alberta; the outdoor walks were probably pretty close to coming to an end anyway. Start scoping out e-bay for walk away the pounds videos or checking your local library.

Personally I'd keep any doctor who doesn't blame the weight for everything that ever goes wrong with you. They are few and far between.

Feel better!
  • Thanks. We're actually buying an elliptical this weekend (can we say irony?) so I don't have to walk outside much this winter. I've already got a television down there with a vcr (hmmm I need a DVD player) and a stereo.

I'm also planning on buying some exercise mats for those vids I used to own fat burning for dummies. It was actually kinda fun, but my vcr chewed it up and I hadn't had a chance to find it since.
  • I know bronchitis very well. I get it very easily and it stays with me for months when I get it. I know you are frustrated, but I can't imagine how you can even be seriously tempted to try to exercise with it. With bronchitis, even getting dressed can seem like an olympic event. Gentle stretches maybe, but this is definitely not a case where it's wise to push the limits or think "no pain, no gain."

I've had three different family doctors and two ENT's and one pulmonologist (before and after moving from Illinois to Wisconsin) who are familiar me getting bronchitis, all have advised me NOT to exercise during active bronchitis (some before even asking whether my big, fat self DID exercise). Twice I was given "so you have bronchitis" type brochures (meant for the "average" patient, not just morbidly obese ones) and there in black and white were recommendations against any activity that stressed breathing or depleated energy levels at all.

With one bout, I did ignore my then doctor's advice to take off work, and I ended taking time off anyway a week later having come down with pneumonia.

You can seek another doctor's opinion, but my guess is they're going to tell you the same thing.

If your doctor ok's it, you might consider trying LOTS of steam (hot showers, or leaning over a sink or bowl of hot water with a towel over your head), spicy food if you like it, and the OTC drug mucinex (along with lots of liquids).
    Mucinex thins mucus, and capsaicin (what makes hot peppers hot) does the same thing. In fact, as I understand it, they're both chemically similar. I really can't say if these home treatments help speed up recovery (I think they do), but they definitely help me be more comfortable.

Good luck and get well.
  • I grew up with chronic ashthmatic bronchitis and I agree with Colleen and your doc. You shouldn't be doing anything that strains the lungs or you won't get better in a reasonable time.

Some kinds of stretching and yoga might be okay, but if you want to be healthy your health has to come first!!!

Don't be jumping and running and scrubbing floors vigorously until your lungs are better! It's only going to make it worse!

I can only imagine how frustrating it is, but better 1-2 weeks than months more of what you're going through.

I also was advised to drink lots of fluids -- helps clear out the mucus, as might the steam!

Good luck!
  • Although I disagree with your doc's "competing with the immune system" comment, I totally agree with her assessment. Aerobic exercise isn't something your lungs can handle right now!

If you're worried about getting out of the habit of exercise, I say pick another goal. Why not work on some flexibility? Remember that body awareness is a huge part of defeating obesity.

Also, consider working on mental heath! Learn to meditate. Focus on positive imaging. Maybe find a creative outlet for stress since you don't have your physical outlet.
  • I am sorry you are going through this.. I hope you get better quick and resume exercising .
    cheryl
  • Thanks everyone.
    I've been drinking some sort of tea type concotion... something I saw online.
    Ginger, pepper (cayenne) and clove.

I didn't have actual ginger, but I have ginger latte (very strong!), I mixed in 1/4 tsp clove and 1/8 tsp cayenne. It's strong, but it really helped soothe my breathing last night (also got rid of the annoying tickle in my throat, and cleared up my sinuses).

I also adopted a cold steam humidifier (not really that COLD) for my room. SO I was not up coughing all night last night I think this was the first good sleep I've had in a few weeks.

I would take time off work but I can't for two good reasons.

This week and next week is finals. My cover off people get pissy and my bosses get angry at me if I leave it to the cover off (It gets super busy... but heck, It's not THAT bad).

I also have no more sick days. Zilch. We are all given 10 sick days a year. I used 8 of them since August (2 in the spring) because I've delt with:

Aug - Bronchitis/sinusitis/ear infection
    Sept - flu (cold, headache, fever, vomiting etc etc)
    Oct - Strep throat/ear infection
    Nov - Another cold - this is what has turned into Bronchitis now

I don't think I have had a properly healthy day in between all of this.

In August I got dizzy and fell in the shower when I had my Bronchitis/sinus/ear infectins then - and hurt my back (4 days after my wedding). I delt with the back pain well into september. Once i started eating healthier and working out, I ended up with influenza (which lasted me another 3 weeks). As soon as I started recovering from that my throat started hurting again, so I figured it was the same thing. Nope... it ended up as strep (my son had it too). Luckily I caught it in time before it got worse enough to send me to bed for a week.\

In the meantime my acid reflux was acting up REALLY BAD. I went to the doctor who did some sort of nasty tube thing down my throat and esophogus to find out I have a hernia (stomach stretching into the esophagus). So I now I have to change my bed by raising the upper legs by 6 inches *which I have finally gotten used to*... and take Nexium all the time. (I have to go back and get that checked by the way)

After the strep... I went back to the doctor because my throat still hurt. He put me on another round of antibiotics.... but the sore throat lasted a couple of weeks then turned into the cold I have now... which is now bronchitis (again!)
    I kept telling myself... I'm not going to get any healthier if I don't exercise... this should be good for me.

Walking didn't seem to make me worse at the TIME I was exercising... I guess it was giving me a bad effect overall.
  • Gosh...and you still managed to lose weight? You are obviously focused and doing something right I hope you feel better soon...and may the new year be a turning point for your health!
  • Lol after reading this all over... no wonder I always have the urge to binge LOL

thanks everyone!!!
  • Rest and get better and then exercise.
  • I'd recommend looking into doing strength training. You can buy some weights and/or resistance bands and do those at home. I have both and I try to do some kind of strength workout every day.