Old 12-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #1  

Default Just got out of the hospital, wanted to share

Hello, I am primarily a reader on these forums, I read every day. I have just gone through something I wanted to share and also see if anyone has gone through this and hear about that experience--I am really nervous about what lies ahead.

Somewhere around the day before or day of Thanksgiving my lower leg swelled up to like three times its size (and my legs are big anyway thanks to my pear shape). It hurt so badly, was literally hard as a rock and was so hot it radiated heat. I could not figure out what was wrong, I had been exercising a lot and thought maybe a pulled muscle or I was walking on it funny and that's what made my leg do this. It was like this from my knee to my ankle and covered about 1/4 the way around. It did not get better and I am one to go quickly to the doctor but I think with family in town and the holiday the days just got away from me. Sunday night I laid in bed so worried that I may lose my leg. Went to the doctor Monday morning and she sent me right away for an ultrasound to look for a blood clot. Sure enough there were 2, one behind my knee and one above my knee in the inner thigh. Blood clots are called Deep Vein Thrombosis. I wasn't allowed to move until all was set for me to go right to the hospital. I was in there for 3 days and got oral cumadin and a shot once a day. I have to stay on cumadin for a while. The first night they took 12 vials of blood and are running bukoos of tests. So far the only thing that has come back slightly elevated is my Factor VIII. Doctor told me it was probably elevated due to the birth control which the first night I went in they asked me if I was on birth contol, I said yes and he told me to stop it. I am doing good now, but it was so scary. I asked him if any of this was because of my weight and he said no, however I cannot help but think that if I wasn't so heavy it would be much better. I just wanted to share because if I had any idea that what was going on with my leg wasn't not at all right and I was on such a dangerous situation, I would have done something immediately and if anyone should ever experience this they might know earlier than I did. Thinking back the couple of weeks before there was something very similar going on with the entire top of my foot and ankle. I suspect it may have even started then.
lovemylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow! What a scare! Sounds like you're doing okay though, thank goodness!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:08 AM   #3  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Glad you're doing better! I had heard of something similar, but affecting people who travel a lot. Do you have to do a lot of travel?
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #4  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

So glad that you are doing ok now!

My husband discovered had a blood clot 8 years and 11 months ago (the same day he quit smoking--that's how I know the exact time frame). He went to the dr three times before they finally did and ultrasound---they really thought he pulled a muscle and his leg hadn't swelled up huge until the night we took him to the ER--that's when the did the u/s. He didn't meet any of the typical criteria for someone who would get a blood clot, other than he was a smoker.

ANYWAY...this is about you, not him. What I can trying to get at is, I can relate to how scary this is. The good news is, you went to the doctor and were able to get treatment. Keep doing what they tell you to do and you should be fine! Almost 9 yrs later my hubby hasn't had any further issues!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have had this several times, the first time when I was pregnant. I didn't have a severe a case as you did , but I was ordered to bed not to get up for any reason ( bedpan, ugh) I was also on coumadin. The good news is you will probably be just fine, I have had it more than once in the same leg, even tho it has recurred it is usually not that often, I mean a few years til it shows up again. Just be sure if you change doctors you let them know that this has happen.Try not to worry. you are getting the right care .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #6  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Thank God they caught it! SO do they think that Birth Control was to blame, or just a random thing?
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I remember when I was on birth control they said that that was one of the side effects....blood clots in the legs that is, and if you get one stop immediately. It's in that huge pamplet that is a 2 font I believe. I hope you are doing better!
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #8  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhighlan86 View Post
I remember when I was on birth control they said that that was one of the side effects....blood clots in the legs that is, and if you get one stop immediately. It's in that huge pamplet that is a 2 font I believe. I hope you are doing better!
Scary!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Wow! That all sound so very scary. Glad you got the medical care you needed and are doing better.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Wow! Scary. Glad you are Ok now.

P.S. I quit BCP because of all the risks - especially to me with borderline hypertension. If you're looking at options, I cannot tell you know much I love my IUD.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #11  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Glad you are okay!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

I'm glad you're okay! What a scare!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #13  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I've never heard of anything like that. I'm so glad this turned out okay. Thanks for letting us know - I had no idea!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Wow. Incredibly scary. I'm so glad that it all turned out okay. What a relief.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #15  
zay

A parent at my son's school had ankle surgery last summer. Ten days later was throwing a party for her daughter. She had those symptoms but ignored them because she was busy. Well, her outcome wasn't like yours. She waited too long and the clot travelled to the lung. She passed away Very sad. Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully the readers here will be vigilant for symptoms like this. I'm so glad you are ok.

Last edited by zay; 12-03-2007 at 01:53 PM.
zay is offline   Reply With Quote