Warm, Comforting Foods

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • In the summertime I found it pretty easy to lose weight because I craved cool, refreshing foods. I based my eating around things like watermelon, berries, iced green tea, cool salads, icy yogurt smoothies.

Now that it is COLD outside I have an aversion to those chilly foods!! Now I crave warm, comforting foods like heavy warm breads, potatoes, noodles, coffee, and warm cobblers. I need some ideas for warm comforting foods that I can base my healthy eating around!

So far I have:
    hot teas
    soups that are not cream based (darn it though, I love the creaminess of those types)... mostly veg or chicken or turkey soups now which get boring.
    Baked sweet potatoes.

What else??
  • Soups are great! Have you tried making pureed veggie or bean soups? They mimic the creaminess of a good cream soup. Try sauteeing up some chopped leek, adding chicken broth and cubed butternut squash plus salt and pepper, and cook until the squash is tender - puree. It is super creamy with no cream!
  • I JUST bought a great big organic leek today! Thats a great idea, thank you!
  • baked sweet potatoes are my new favorite winter food!
  • I hear you!! Over the summer I could eat berries, fresh fruit, but now the weather has me wishing for warm food.. Bean soups... black bean, white bean with pasta and spinach, Veggie chilli. I wish I could help more.. Today I had such a desire for Mac and cheese( home made), almost went out and bought some, bought a veggie eggplant dish instead ( 230 calories). cheryl
  • How about chili? Or cabbage rolls? Or even stir frys instead of salads?
  • I love the South Beach Taco Bake recipe, it's substantial comfort food for me. I make a lot of soups and recently made a cheesy roasted red pepper soup that was creamy and yummy. If that sounds good to you, I'll post the recipe - or I may have already put it in the veggies 101 thread. I still make creamy soups using canned evaporated skim milk. Bean soups and chili are hearty. I've got a killer Chicken Divan Recipe that's good winter food, also a South Beach Recipe. I think I posted that one in the chicken 101 thread. Eggplant parmigiana?
  • One of my favorite, warm comforting winter treats is rice.

You can use brown rice or whatever rice you want but I would get about 1/2 cup rice covered with some unsweetened almond milk. Heat it up in the microwave. Sprinkle with cinnamon, add a couple walnuts and raisins if you like and then eat. If you want sweetness, you can add a sweetener as well.
  • Or what about an apple, cut in half and cored, baked with a topping of oats, a little brown sugar, and cinnamon? Baked apples are SO warm and comforting.
  • I so agree with you on the summer being easy to drop weight!! In the summer I can drink tons of water, but not now ~ it's too cold so I don't crave the cold water like in summer. It is harder. Isn't that funny!! I never thought about that till you posted this post.
    Now I am into drinking my warm coffee!! As far as other foods, um, good one. I agree with the chili being something that i crave and can eat lots of in the winter. Stay away from those fresh warm breads though!! They are addicting and you can't just eat a small piece!! LOL
    Good luck to you on staying on track these cold winter months. We can do this!!
    Take care,
    God Bless,
    Tari
  • Quote: I love the South Beach Taco Bake recipe, it's substantial comfort food for me. I make a lot of soups and recently made a cheesy roasted red pepper soup that was creamy and yummy. If that sounds good to you, I'll post the recipe
    I would LOVE these recipes!! Thanks so much!!

Look at you!!! So close to ONE-derland AND your Christmas Gift Goal!! You rock!!!
  • Thanks, Ritzy! Here's the link to the Taco Bake:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38592
    It's a very adaptable recipe, so it should be able to work for any program. I also add an extra layer of veggies in between the beans and meat layer, sauteed zucchini or spinach usually. Great for leftovers and freezes well.

Now I have to remember how I made the soup. I made it up as I went along, and it turned out great, now I can't believe I didn't write anything down! I think I can recreate it though. There are lots of recipes for roasted red pepper soup if you google it, but most have potatoes, which I didn't use, and I used evap skim milk for a creamy base and then stirred in some reduced fat cheese. I'll try and come up with it again.
  • Quote: Thanks, Ritzy! Here's the link to the Taco Bake:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38592
    It's a very adaptable recipe, so it should be able to work for any program. I also add an extra layer of veggies in between the beans and meat layer, sauteed zucchini or spinach usually. Great for leftovers and freezes well.

Now I have to remember how I made the soup. I made it up as I went along, and it turned out great, now I can't believe I didn't write anything down! I think I can recreate it though. There are lots of recipes for roasted red pepper soup if you google it, but most have potatoes, which I didn't use, and I used evap skim milk for a creamy base and then stirred in some reduced fat cheese. I'll try and come up with it again.
    Thanks a million! I cannot wait to try this. Mexican food is my family's fav! I definitely need to find that soup you are talking about. It sounds really good!

Thanks again!
  • The soups sound really good. Does anyone have a link to a site with good low cal or low fat soup recipes? Any good soup recipes, post em here!!

I am going to do some experimenting. I do need a GOOD vegetarian chili recipe, and maybe a healthy taco soup recipe. My kids like taco soup and chili.
  • My white bean and sausage soup is quite yummy and filling - if you search for "magic white bean" it'll appear in one of the threads. Mmm, magic white bean soup.