Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #16  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I've been told I have an addictive personality.. which rubbed me the wrong way at first but I can see truth behind it.

I find something that makes me feel good and go overboard with it. Whether it be shopping, buying high end makeup, buying earrings... eating crap.. or the extreme like the starving I did during highschool. I'm addicted to comforting myself. Now when I have rough days, I treat myself with a lean cuisine or subway as my meal.

So... I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to food.. among other things.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #17  

Height: 5'8

I have addictive tendencies with food. I can't keep trigger food in the house at all (chocolate candy, cookies, chips & ice cream for me). I will eat it all until it's gone and too much, too often. If I really feel an urge, I will buy a small serving of it. But I make myself have to go out of my way for it and watch the portions carefully.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In college, especially graduate school, we were taught to not consider eating disorders, or even most substance abuse as true addictions for a host of reasons (mostly technical and boring). However, I think there are many parallels between substance abuse, shopping and gambling addiction (also not true addictions by a strict definition) and other compulsive/dysfunctional behaviors.

I've used food to self-medicate, and in some ways still do, but in a more responsible way (for example cranberry juice for a uti, but not chocolate for depression).

I don't yet know if there are foods that I will have to avoid completely for the rest of my life, but I do think there are probably foods that I will never be able to bring into the house in large quantities. Changing what I eat has also changed my tastes, and as I further improve my food choices, I'm sure it will continue to. I feel less compelled to eat when I eliminate processed sugars and white flour, and am careful with natural sugars and starches.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'9

For me...it sure felt like it!!!!!!I couldnt imagine them saying no..

When I moved to this town about six hours or so away from my original home,I had no friends so my day would consist of going up town driving around and then hitting the local McDs or their Dairy Queen..and I had no life so this became regular...that was about 12yrs ago,it started slow,and now..I will plan a trip up town to go shopping for food,sure I say I need milk but my real plan is buying crap..especially ice cream...I can NOT have this in my house,or anything chocolate...and..its always in secret...I use to avoid seeing friends except a visit to McDs or D.Q,and ice cream,they were my friends,I didnt have to dress up,have them look at me,or question my added 10pds,and it felt good WHILE I ate it,not after...Its sad...it is still a constant struggle..now if I treat,its on the weekend,and I found yogurt swirl bars,that are to die for with only 85 cal,and only 2gr of fat...so if I do eat more than one or two,its not as bad..and once again only on weekends...HEY I have to start off slow with this..lol..

but yes...I do feel as if Iam addicted to food...only because I have allowed myself to..

how sad is that...I chose this???ugh...but...I am becoming more aware..another ugh..

Lannae
Lannae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #20  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I've used food to self-medicate
This is TOTALLY what I do. Food has a purpose, to help me celebrate, to make me feel better, to give me something to do.

Do I think I'm addicted, sure do. I use food the way someone would use alcohol or nicotine. I also think it can be controlled. Unfortunately, There are certain foods that will automatically make me crave junk food. If I stay away from that kind of food, my cravings are lessened. It's getting off those foods in the 1st place that can be the challenge.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #21  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Yes yes and YES
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

*Sigh* I'm addicted to food big time. I really don't have any underlying reasons why I eat so much. I just love food. A lot. And I love the feeling I get when I eat food. Sometimes I wish I was constantly depressed since that's the only time my appetite seems to vanish.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

I also think I am addicted to food. I have absolutely no resistance to any food, I like everything. I don't eat alot at meals, but I munch all day. I have low blood sugar if I don't eat some things, especially after eating lots of sweets. I need fun in my life to take the place of boredom and stress. My days are all the same, work, prepare meals, clean up, watch TV, go to bed. I need a distraction, my husband is a workaholic, but also his job requires lots of home time working. Help!
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes, I most definately think I am addicted to food! It has been my reaction to almost all feelings and happenings in my life for many, many years. I think it's one of the hardest addictions to overcome because it's all about choices. One can quit smoking, drugs etc and never touch those things. But, we all have to eat and ultimately make good choices (if we have health concerns).
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #25  

No, I love to cook and eat. I don't try and analyze it too deeply. Sometimes I find that with myself that if I keep it simple things work out better. The more spin I try and put on pass eating habits the more I feel I have a excuse. I found as long as I stay full with high quality foods, and let myself enjoy things I love in a reasonable amount I lose weight and feel better physically.

We are all addicted to food by nature because we have to eat to live. Above and beyond that I think some people are addicted to volume, or a particular type or kind of food.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #26  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yes, I'm addicted to sugar. If its in my house, it calls my name all day long. I'm especially vulnerable to sugary carbohydrates...ie, cakes, cookies, cereal,etc, when I'm tired, depressed or anxious. The irony is that eating the sugary carbohydrates makes me feel depressed and sluggish.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #27  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I am no different than the person who is addicted to drugs,the wino or the smoker. I am addicted to food. All these addiction will kill you if you don,t get them under control. I do have an addictive personality and so did Elvis Presley. It is legal to buy food making it really easy to get my fix. You can live without drugs but we have to have food to live. We have to learn a healthy balance when it comes to food and stay on plan.

Last edited by Dumplin; 11-26-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote