Old 11-18-2007, 11:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Default Anyone else thinking of Thanksgiving?

I have been worrying over Thanksgiving, not wanting to go into that with a bunch of "rules" that I will just break, and not wanting to blow it either. Doing my exercise tonight I realized that the only rule I need to stick to is no sugar...I can't handle sugary things, I get intense cravings for carbs for them and one piece of pie will lead to me picking through leftovers all night long.

But there is no worry, because I feel confident none of the desserts there will be too tempting I can't pass up...and I don't like ham so I always stick to white meat turkey, and there will be lots of veggies there, and I love veggies and always fill my plate with those over mashed potatoes, etc. I think I will be just fine, now that I have really thought about it! I just need to stay away from the desserts...and I may just go out for a walk when they start eating that.

I CAN DO THIS...WE ALL CAN!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:45 PM   #2  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Knowing your triggers is a good thing. Im not at all worried about thanksgiving.. I limit myself at least 351 days out of the year.. lol that is thanksgiving and christmas subtracted and at least one cheat a month lol. I dont know why America has holidays centered around food. Thats probably why we are a fat nation.. we celebrate with gluttony! ha. Anyways.. I know how you are feeling because I feel the same way, Im scared but the rational side of me says that I better do it up because I have had willpower for a long time now and I have been saying * save it for thanksgiving* and thats what I am going to do. If I dont succumb to a something at least once a month.. I will binge.. for days and days. Ive learned that the hard way. It looks like you are opposite to where, if you give in, you will binge. That walk seems like a good idea.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #3  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I'll be honest..I'm pretty worried. LOL.

I haven't yet decided how I'll eat, but I'm trying to focus on the day AFTER Thanksgiving...I want to get right up and do my regular exercise, and stay away from leftovers!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not worried at all. Actually not sure what we are doing on the actual Thanksgiving day, we may be staying home and eating a regular meal. We will visit relatives for at least one meal but not sure if it will be Thanksgiving day or another day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 AM   #5  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

For Thanksgiving and Christmas last year I went for a walk after eating a normal potion of the dinner.

My sweetie did the clear up and I still feel good about having done that.

The walk sounds like a really good idea... But don't beat yourself up too hard if you do indulge more than you might have wanted. Just get back on plan.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I read something yesterday where the owner of a gym said the day after Thanksgiving is insanely busy! He said it is part of a lot of people's holiday plan to workout early the next morning.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #7  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm not worried. I plan to workout with lots of intensity this week and to really watch my calories. Then on Thanksgiving we are going to Cracker Barrel where I plan to eat their lovely Thanksgiving meal without guilt and with full enjoyment. On Friday, it's back to working out and hitting the stores to shop till I drop.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuter w Curves View Post
For Thanksgiving and Christmas last year I went for a walk after eating a normal potion of the dinner.
Now that sounds like a good idea. I hope it's not too chilly. The only problem is.. it's deer hunting season and it's not safe to go for a walk for that week! ahhhh. I think I will help clean up the dishes.. keep my hands busy. Pie and soapy hands don't go well together.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #9  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

My Thanksgiving plan has several parts:

1. Eat healthy and on plan all week, cutting points (ww) where I can without deprivation

2. The big meal is at my MIL's house, so I intend to get my normal exercise in in the morning before we go, and if the weather's nice I'll get in a good walk right after the dinner mess is cleaned up, while others are gorging on dessert

3. Eat SMART! I love stuffing and never make it so I will have a portion of that, but the normal everyday fattening stuff like mashed potatos I'll pass right by. I can have them any day, so there's no need to have them with my Turkey meal!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm not too worried about it. I follow South Beach, so as long as I stay away from the refined carb-y things and sweets, I'll be okay. I plan to have turkey, veggies, sauerkraut, and sweet potatoes, and I volunteered to bring an appetizer and a dessert too, so I will have options there. I think I'll make smoked salmon spread for appetizer and a pumpkin pudding and/or apple crisp sweetened with agave nectar for dessert. I'll just skip the stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy, and that won't break my heart. And I will up the exercise and behave the rest of the week. I am close to onederland and my Christmas goal, so I hope those things will motivate me.

Now, the holidays that terrify me are the ones where I'm surrounded by sweet stuff - they are Halloween, Christmas, and Girl Scout cookie sale time.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 11-19-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #11  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I too am doing the whole *cutting calories* where I can without deprivation so "save" some for thanksgiving, and I have been working out with no days off so that I dont have to worry with workout on turkey day. Dessert is the whole point for me lol. Im making everything so everything is a little healthier than it would be if someone else made the food. Just remember in the grand scheme, its just one day.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/250/150

Height: 5"2"

I don't really like thanksgiving food with the exception of pie. My problem is all the pre-christmas fudge I make every year. Christmas cookies and fudge are my killers. I haven't decided yet what to do about it.
smills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I'm not too worried about Thanksgiving because usually when I have the day off (which I do) I'm good about fitting in my walking or an exercise class. So, before the parades begin, I will head out for some fresh air and hit the road with my running shoes.

I'm charge of cooking the meal this year so I've planned out a high veggie, low carb menu. We're having the turkey and ham but instead of potatoes I'm making mashed cauliflower, a lower fat (no bacon or fried onion rings) green bean casserole, sauteed spinach. Someone is bringing dessert but I'm fine with that. I may have a small piece and immerse myself in conversation and cleaning.

My main goal is to get my exercise in for the day as well as for the following. I'm also planning on doing a bunch of holiday shopping over the weekend and then on Sunday possibly a 5K.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #14  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm a little worried about it. I'm not sure what's going to be there, and the powers that be that were planning the event gave it to us to bring the desserts. Specifically, 2 pies. AND, my fiance's mom has solicited me to make fudge. So wow, I just have no idea. I hope there is at least some salad with a light calorie dressing of some kind!

Last edited by rakel; 11-19-2007 at 01:49 PM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'm on plan on Thanksgiving, not just because I really want to lose weight over the holidays, but because I've got a pretty sensitive system and I realized that if I ate too much crap that I'd be sick as a dog and spend the next three days dealing with the aftermath.

Off plan for me right now would result in the day after Thanksgiving being renamed National Bowel Cleansing Day.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote