Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Stupid Idiotic Frigging Scale!!!! I know better!

Well I have been weighing myself every day for about a week. I know your not supposed to, but I just can't help myself.

Yesterday morning was 275 and I was tickled. This morning was 279!!!! I have been eating on plan too, so I guess its water weight.

The thing is....I dont know when my tom is because I am very very unregular. So.....yesterday I felt a little cringe in the area where you hurt on your tom......so maybe I am beginning to start or am supposed to be starting but am not.......so maybe thats where the water came from.

Help convince me I havent gained fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Who knows. Same thing happened to me this week. I finally finally got the scale back down to 174 on Monday, but today it's up 2 or 3 pounds. I've been a little off track, but not even enough to gain 1/2 pound -- much less 2!

Scales do that. All kinds of things affect them, water being just one!

You can certainly weigh every day, but if you do, you need to be able to handle the fluctuations!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

You have not gained 4 pounds of fat in one day.

You've already mentioned a plethora of possibilities, all or none of which may be the reason the scale says what it says.

Who knows? No scale is actually perfect, either, and temperature and humidity levels have a lot to do with how they scale

If you feel that it's water, just drink a good amount of H2O today. Keep doing what's healthy and the scale will eventually show the difference. (Though I can't guarantee that it won't play a mind-trick on you again in the future.)

Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Well I dont think I can handle it. I am gonna aim for once a week. I cant take it!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

What helped my friend was putting the scale someplace inconvenient during the week, and then only pulling it out on her weigh days.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #6  
No description available.

I do better when I weigh every day, but I agree you can't let the fluctuations get you down. It is normal for bodies to retain or release fluids, or stool (sorry!), etc.

You did not gain 4 pounds of fat. That would be 14000 calories (3500 cal/lb of fat~~~please feel free to check my math cause I haven't had any coffee yet!).
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

(((HUGS))) You havent gained 4 lbs hon in a day. Its not possible.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I weigh myself daily, and try not to freak out when I see a gain, or a stall. A few years ago I weighed myself weekly and it did not help me, weighing daily helps me be accountable.
I am sure the weight gain will dissapear before you know it, there are alot of different causes, just don't stress and think what a great job you are doing Mug!! I know you can keep it up!! cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

I've been known to weigh myself hourly!

Yesterday, TOM visited me and I have been up all week, but I have also been working out like crazy. Well, it was my weigh-in night and I actually weighed my clothes to pick the lightest outfit possible. I even changed my bra to a light weight one, that I'll have you know weighs exactly 2 oz. I did lose a pound at TOPS, but seriously, how lame have I become???

Don't sweat it Mug, TOM is evil
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

Be assured you did not gain 4 pounds of fat in one day. Hang in there it will go back down. I also weigh everyday, but only record the weight once a week. Some days I would love to throw the scale out the window after a step on it, but I must do it for accountability. I'm usually down more in the middle of the week and then seem to come up on my weigh in day, but I guess it evens out eventually. I don't care how much weight I lose I think I will always have scale anxiety!

Does anyone else have scale rituals that they follow before getting on the scale?
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Here's a link to a sticky in the Support Forum, on why weight fluctuates:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115826

Though it's not for everyone, I weigh myself every single day. For me, it's a reality check first thing in the morning. Keeps me aware and intune with my body. BUT, I have learned to not let the daily inevitable fluctuations get to me.

Check out the sticky.

And STICK TO YOUR PLAN. Hang tough. You CAN do this. You SHOULD do this. And you CAN. As long as you know you've been eating well, then the scale will absolutely reflect it - eventually.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I weigh myself twice a day, although I really only count the morning weigh-in as my daily weigh-in. I actually like to see the fluctuations in my weight.

I was a bit annoyed this morning as well. Yesterday, I saw 220 again (after a couple months of not seeing it) but this morning I am 221. I want to be 219 so bad but my body wanted to play a little joke on me instead
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #13  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi. It will go away. You did not gain fat. I hate the changes back and forth too! But weighing every day is helping me lately. I weigh at nite just to see how much goes away between then and the next morning. Lost 2 lbs overnite last nite, lol.

I did something last year to try and prove how much it can change in short time spans. I weighed every morning and nite for almost 6 months. Let me tell you. I saw that I was gaining 5 to 7lbs b4 TOM. And losing it by the end of the 3rd or 4th day of it. I had also lost 5 lbs overnite several times. Weighed b4 bed and by the next morning it was gone. (I do go potty alot at nite tho. Dunno why, lol.) I encourage anyone to do this and see just how your own body changes so often.

So be assured it's gonna be ok. And if you choose to weigh less often, you can do well that way too. When I lost my first 40 or so 3 yrs ago, I didn't even own a scale! I KNEW I was losing bc of my clothes and my tape measure and the fact that I KNEW I was eating right. I weighed only when I happened to be at the doc for me or my kids, which with 6 kids at that time was about once a month. I'll say this. I was always happy with the scale bc it was always down at least 5 lbs! LOL. Just have to see what works best for you. You are doing really well. It gets easier the longer you do this.

Today I'm on day 55 On plan! I'm excited and I want to hit day 100, then 200 then 365!!! (Then I will just go the rest of my life, and for maintaining I think I'll just add some calories but continue to count every day.) We all fluctuate and the less we care about that part, the better. Robin is right, U CAN do this. And sticking to your plan is the number one thing. (Calories are the main thing as far as I'm concerned. You get that down, you're home free. Exercise is good but you don't have to go nuts with it to lose.) I'm following her example this time around. I'm extreeeeeeeeemely determined.

We CAN do this.

Hugs, Selina
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: see ticker

Mugs,
Don't worry, I found that even if i moved my scale to a different place in the bathroom, the results were different!!! (Old house...floors tend to be a little warped!) Now I only weigh in once a week at a health clinic. It saves me from wondering....
Thanks so much, Midwife for the reminder on the calories/fat ratio!!!! I overate yesterday by about 300 calories, and was obsessing that I might gain because of it!!! Whew!!! I'm back on track today!!! LOL
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

One of the things I love about weighing in every day is that I think you become much more in tune with your body's fluctuations. It helps me understand the relationship between what type of food I eat and my body's reaction to it.

If you only weigh once a week, how can you possibly know that that wasn't the one day of the week that you fluctuated upwards?

No, you didn't gain 4 pounds overnight (assuming there have been no Halloween candy raids). I hope TOM shows up and puts you out of your misery.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote