Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Accountability-smoking anyone wanna quit with me?

I started smoking 6 years ago when my husband left me and I had to move back to my hometown. I have never been one that approved of smoking and I used to suffer horrid coughs when I was a child. Now I have a little girl who doesnt have the best of lungs. I think its b/c I smoked most of my pregnancy but the Dr said that isnt true. I have constant post nasal dripage, generally have a wet cough, and right now I have had bronchitis for 4 weeks. My little girl has asthma and always has some sort of cough/wheeze/bronchitis/pneumonia. Both my current husband and myself smoke. Although we dont do it in the house, its still around her outside when she’s out there, in the car even though the windows are done, and on us where she can smell it.

I have been wanting to quit for a long time now but just have never felt the urge to. I actually enjoy smoking but I dont like the addiction to it, like Im a slave to a cigarette just like I’m a slave to food. I dont like that feeling. We are not supposed to have any idols before God and I’m idolizing the cigarettes/food more than God.

I dont know why yesterday I decided it was time to stop. Here’s my normal smoking schedule

On the way to work 1 cig, break at 10am 1cig sometimes 2, lunch at least 2 cigs sometimes 3, on the way to get leah 1/2 to 1 cig, on the way home 1 cig, plus how many I smoke in the evening which is normally about 5.

Yesterday I had none on the way to work, 1/2 at break, the other 1/2 at lunch, and 1/4 that evening (I was planning on smoking the entire thing but my daughter came outside and I had decided I was not going to smoke around her at all)

So far today I had 1/4 at break and 1/4 at lunch so I have only smoked 1/2 a cig today when I normally have smoked 3-4 by this time. I was thinking of only giving myself 3 per day for a week, than go down to 2 per day the next week, then down to 1 per day for the last week, after that no more. Now I can smoke them whenever I want to, it doesnt matter if I have part at 10am and the rest at 5pm, the goal is to dwindle down until I dont need it anymore. I’m also not going to roll-over unused cigarettes. If I dont smoke all Im allowed then thats just gone.

Im hoping to be completely stopped by the end of the month and I know that the urge will be there for sometime especially since my husbadn smokes, but Im hoping that by my quitting he will be inspired to do the same. I already purchased a 10-pk of gum and a co-worker purchased my some nicorette a year ago in hopes that I would kick the habit.

So here we go…………
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #2  

Hi cara1980, I've been trying to quit for a while now. Last year I stopped smoking for about 9 months while I was away studying, but as soon as i got home i started again. My husband also smokes and from your post I see we smoke about the same and in similar situations. So I'll join you on your effort, see if we can give each other support, if thats ok. I understand on a "reason" level all the benefits of quitting, I just have to understand them on all other levels (emotional, etc.)
GOOD LUCK!
lacaracola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #3  

Yep exactly! I think if we figure out what situations cause us to smoke we can attempt to avoid them. For instance, its habit for me to smoke while driving. So now I'm having to find something else for me to do instead of that.

I also found out that smoking causes more cavities and root canals. I hate the dentist and thats probably why I have been having so many cavities.

Im also used to smoking on my break at work, well I may just try to skip the break all together or go for a walk instead of going ot the car for a fix.

Also when Im working in the yard I want to smoke b/c thats my habit. Supposedly you can quit anything in 30 days so let's give it a try.

I'll pm you my email address so you can get in contact with me if your having a craving and I'm not on the board.

we CAN do this!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #4  

Bravo ladies! I finally quit at least 15 years, ago, so I know it's not easy. But it really is worth it, especially for your kids. One thing that helped me when quitting: I cut up mountains of carrots and ate one whenever the urge hit. Yes, my skin did turn a little orange, but so what. Now there are a lot of things to help, like Zyban, which helps with the anxiety and grief caused by losing our longtime friend Mr. Ciggy; or nicotine patches that let you deal with your behavioural addiction without immediate nicotine withdrawal; or a new drug called Chantix.
Breaking the habit is one of the hardest things you can do, both physically and emotionally. Quitting on a whim seems to be a good idea, and personally I had more success with cold turkey than cutting down. Don't be too upset if you have setbacks - it can take several tries before you succeed. (I quit once for two years and once for five years before I finally made it.) If you can get your husbands on board, that will make it a lot easier, but it's not impossible to do it on your own.
It can take a long time before the craving goes away, but it will go away. So try not to get too discouraged. Think of the money you'll save, the health benefits, your clean and stink-free house and car...
I wish you both all the luck in the world. Maybe some day children will be born into a world free of the stink and grime and disease our addiction creates for them.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #5  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I quit a few days ago.

My biggest thing is, if I don't smoke I eat. So I've been drinking a LOT of water and eating less as well. I know it doesn't sound too great, but it's the only way I can curb my cravings of both food and nicotine.

I've already gained 3 lbs :P HOpefully it's just from all the water.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #6  

My husband told me last night that I shouldnt quit b/c I will gain weight. I had 3 yesterday. Went to the store yesterday and got a ton of gum.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #7  

Im on my 2nd day of no cigarettes and Im really craving one. I have the nicotine gum in my desk but I dont want to use it if I dont have to. I also got down to 206 this week but gained 3lbs again over the weekend so Im back to 209. Didnt meet 1st goal.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #8  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Cara, does your state have a stop-smoking hotline? Here in South Dakota there is a quitline where you can call and get free support, free counseling, and free supplies like patches, gum, and medication to help you quit. It has worked for SO many people here. Check and see!
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

I quit smoking 10 months ago. I smoked 15 years. Go check out quitnet.com it helpped me a lot, tons of good support. I used nicotine gum for the first 4 months. I know how hard it is but I promise you it gets better and for me I could care less about cigarettes now. I dont struggle anymore. Good luck guys
Kelly
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara1980 View Post
My husband told me last night that I shouldnt quit b/c I will gain weight. I had 3 yesterday. Went to the store yesterday and got a ton of gum.
Cara, tell your Hubby that he's full of caca! If you find a replacement for cigarettes other than food, there is absolutely no reason to gain weight. I'm so proud of you for quitting! Any of you can PM me at any time if you need some help. As of the 19th of this month, I will be smoke free for 2 years.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I've never been a smoker but married to one and I know what a struggle this can be. Just wanted to say Bravo for your efforts. I wish success for you all! I don't know that you have to choose but if it was a choice between weight loss and quitting smoking, I think I'd worry about the smoking first. While both have adverse health effects, I think the smoking is worse.

A lot of companies also have support programs for employees that are trying to quit.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #12  

My employer cant know I smoke b/c they charge an extra $40 a month for health insurance if you smoke. I really cant afford that.

Im quitting for several reasons, my health, my daughters health, money, not wanting it to control my life etc. I dont want to have to chose between quitting or losing weight b/c Im having surgery dec 20 and its imperative that Im back down to what I was b4 starting regaining (188). I was watching a health show and a girl was put to sleep when she woke up the Dr asked if she smoked, she said no he thought she was lying b/c she was coughing when waking up from anesthesia. For smokers the risks increase while being under sedation.

Thanks evreyone for the support and words of encouragement. I'll probably need some more b4 Im through this. My last one was sat at 8pm.

HUbby told me yesterday that he doesnt understand how I can just put down the smokes but have a problem with the sweets. I told him the way he feels about sweets is how I feel about smoking. Its not a big deal. But the way he feels about smoking is how I feel about sweets, when I get a craving I got to have it right then and it doesnt matter what else is going on i have to get my "fix". He tried to tell me that its just food and its not a drug so what is the problem. I explained to me its not food, to me it is a drug and if I dont control it, it will control me and at one point it could kill me just like smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

You'd think that as someone who works in the health care industry, I'd be more careful with my body ::sigh::

I smoke:

1 on the way to work
1 on each break at 9 am and 1 pm [2 cigarettes]
1, maybe 2 at lunch at 11 am
1 on the way home
1 on the front porch before I go to bed.

So six, maybe seven per day. I can cut that down. I know I can. We'll begin by saying - no cigarettes on my breaks! Three days, if I make it, we'll move to something else to cut out.
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #14  

althepirate

Im finding my break time to be the hardest. Im used to watching the clock for 10am so I can get away from work. How far do you travel to work? Start by getting rid of which ever smoke isnt that big of a deal to you, perhaps you can be very busy so you cant make time to smoke before bed, also remember its about to be very cold and do you really want to go out there to smoke when its freezing out? Also only bring the amount of cigs that you want to allow yourself daily. I still have a pack in the car with 3 or 4 in there but I havent touched it yet.

I think if I can beat smoking I can tackle the giant that is weight loss. Ive smoked for 7 years now so I know I have some sort of addiction to it.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #15  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Congrats on everyone for quitting and cutting down!!

I've tried to cut back but it just didn't seem to work for me. I was smoking between 10 - 20 cigarettes per day, depending on the day of the week.

I've tried smoking, and the longest I had quit was for 1.5 years. But you know peer pressure.

My husband is a stinker and thinks smoking is sexy (long story, I won't go into it!). So he hadn't been much of a help when I tried quitting.

I basically told him and everyone... I'm quitting for good. Todd told me I should wait until I have my new eating/exercising lifestyle underway first. I told him - there's no point in waiting if I want to quit now.

So I've been smoke free for 1 week and 1 day as of about 30 minutes ago
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote