Old 10-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #1  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Default How many times does the same inch count?

I am a little confused by some of these measurements. PLEASE do not be offended if it sounds like I am talking about you specifically. I am NOT knocking anyone's methods, I am just genuinely curious! When you take measurements, is there a certain number of places you are supposed to measure? I can't figure out why some people measure like 15 points on their body and then count each measurement separately. For example, right thigh, left thigh. If they lose an inch off each thigh, they consider that "2 inches lost". So if I took measurements from 15 places and lost an inch off each place, that's 15 inches lost? I guess I would consider that to be only ONE inch lost. I can see taking a waist/hip/bust and maybe a thigh or bicep or more, but I don't understand the reasons for counting each separate measurement (especially the bilateral ones) as their own separate achievement. Is there a science to this? Some sort of measurement code? Or is it just personal preference?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #2  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Mar
I have started to measure a few different place. If I lose an inch in 15 different places that is one inch. I would say, " I have lost an inch all over. Not, I have lost 15 inches. "

Think it is a personal preference.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-17-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There's no science behind it that I'm aware of, just personal preference and personal motivation.

Personally, my method is to measure bust, waist, and hips and add them. I don't measure neck, wrist, bicep, ankle, and thigh... I used to measure more, but it got pretty tiresome taking 7 or more measurements.

Although I can certainly understand why someone might take more measurements and count them as they need to. For example, if you're going to take bilateral measurements, and you say lose more inches in one side than another, the alternative to adding them is what, averaging them? Should arms and legs not count? But what if you lose in your extremities one week and none in your core, do the losses not count?

I
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, for me, I see it as inches of FAT gone from my body. So lets say that my waist has one less inch of fat, as does my right thigh, as does my left thigh, as does each calf, as does my neck, as does each upper arm, as does my bust. Thats not ONE inch of fat gone. Thats an inch from each of those places. The fact that an inch is gone from my waist does not mean that the same inch is gone from my thigh - they are different inches.

I think its personal preference - you can measure your inches however you'd like.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely measure because it is a sure sign you are losing when the scales won't "cooperate." I do measure different points, and the funny thing about it is my left arm has usually been about 1/4 of an inch different than my right arm on each measurement! Same with my legs (I measure just above the knee since that seems to have been a place where the hideous stuff wants to hide).

When I put my measurements down, I put down something like "15 over-all-body inches lost." That is not to say I have gone down 15 inches from the surface inward but that the over-all-the-body inches are 15. Definitely just a personal preference - nothing scientific, although, if you took the fat that was lost from the arm combined it with that which was lost from the leg, and so forth, you would have a cumulative pile of fat that was lost and not just "1 inch."
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

But again, very few (if any) people are going to lose an "allover" inch. It's going to come off in very different amounts in all of the different places, so if you've lost 3 inches in one arm, 2.5 inches in another, 7.25 inches in your bust, 6.75 inches in your waist, 4.75 inches in your hips, and 3.25 inches in each leg, how many inches have you lost if you don't just add them (mother of all math nightmares!)

To me, it's a lot like the debate over when a person can legitimately claim a "size."

Say you're moving to a size 12 from a 14 (Not going to mess with plus sizes, because they're even less consistent than misses sizes). When do you get to claim the size?

1. As soon as you can find a size 12 that you can squeeze into (whether or not you can breathe or move in the garment).

2. As soon as you can find a size 12 that you can wear comfortably (even if it's an elastic waist circle skirt).

3. As soon as you can fit into a size 12 fitted garment (even if all other size 12's you've tried on don't fit).

4. As soon as you find a line of clothing that you can fit into their size 12's more often than not.

5. As soon as you can fit into a size 12 from various manufacturer's at least 50% of the time.

6. As soon as your wardrobe contains more size 12's than 14's.

7. As soon as you discard that last size 14 in your closet....

8. The day before you find a size 10 somewhere that you can squeeze into (not necessarily being able to breathe or move in the garment).

........ ad infinitum

I chalk it up to another example of "magic diet rules." It doesn't matter. The weight is gone, count it however you want to. I agree saying you've lost a total of _______ inches doesn't really tell anyone anything (but so what). However, if you're actually wanting to be informative, "I lost 4 inches off my waist and 3 off my bust...", is a lot more meaningful to other people.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I give myself credit for every single solitary inch I lose....I don't really care what part of the body it comes from, it gets counted.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I measure the "seamstress" way, bust, waist, high hip and low hip. I only add the "major 3" together tho.

just for interest's sake i measure neck, bicep, wrist, and thigh

i do it every two months
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #9  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I measure the "seamstress" way, bust, waist, high hip and low hip. I only add the "major 3" together tho.

just for interest's sake i measure neck, bicep, wrist, and thigh

i do it every two months
That's actually what comes to mind when I think of "measurements".

Ok.. so it's mostly personal expression. Sounds good to me.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #10  
Rennie

kap

lol I have the same brand, style and color of jeans from size 12 to size 18. When I go down a size I will know it is a real size lol.

I do measure 5 different place. I lose about an inch all over every time. Wonder if that isn't why the weight loss doesn't show like it does for others. It is pretty even all over my body.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I measure at a good number of places because that is how herbal magic does it every Wednesday. If they weren't doing the measurements I would probably just do the "seamstress way" as well. But an interesting note for the herbal magic measurements is that they say generally it evens out to 1"=1lb. That's total number of inches. I find that interesting.

Plus it really is kind of neat to see a 1/2" go from your neck (a place I would never have thought to measure)!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #12  
Rennie

lifeguard
Funny you say that. I lose about 1 inch per lb. But, that is all over the body, not in one spot. Wouldn't it be great to lose 25lbs and lose 25 inches off our waist all at the same time lol.