3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Freaking out about flying... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/124997-freaking-out-about-flying.html)

gina1221 10-14-2007 06:57 PM

Freaking out about flying...

Ok, so I HAVE to get on a plane tomorrow. I have a business conference in Atlanta (I live in NC so it is a short flight at least). Anyway, my problem is not with flying... it's the fear of being absolutely embarassed about my weight... will I have to buy another seat, will I have to get a seat belt extension, will I fit in the seat... ugh... so many things to stress about. Plus the flight is almost entirely co-workers because we're all going to this conference. :o

The last time I flew, I weighed about 45 lbs less than now though I didn't have any problems then I'm afraid of what could happen this time. I have actually considered quitting my job to avoid this trip... how crazy is that? Obviously, I am a rational person and have not quit my job (DH can't afford me ;)) and I will show up at the airport tomorrow and sees what happens... but I just felt I needed to put all this worrying into words and maybe it will help purge some.

Thanks for listening.

kfs151 10-14-2007 07:25 PM

Ugh - good luck! I often have trouble because I'm short and my weight is all around my middle but now that I've lost some weight it has gotten much better. My advice would be to discretely ask for the extender as you board and if you don't need it you can put it in the seat pocket. Those little planes can be a real bear! There is a website ( www.seatguru.com - I think) that will give you info on the sizes of the seats, etc. based on the type of plane.

Hang in there,

dustdiva 10-14-2007 07:32 PM

Gina, I think you'll be fine. I've flown at a higher weight than I am now, and didn't need a seatbelt extension. It was a bit cozier than I would have liked, but at least my daughter was on my one side...which made me vow never to book myself a "middle" seat again.

Hope that helps you relax some -- good luck on your trip!

jtammy 10-14-2007 07:42 PM

Oh Gina, I know where you're coming from!! I always dreaded flying and it was one of my big motivators when I started losing weight.

When I weighed what you weigh now, I did NOT have to have a seat belt extender. I fit without it, and was able to put the arm rest down all the way also. (A big NSV for me at the time...)

I had to ask for an extender many times in the past, and the flight attendants are usually very good about being discrete.

Good luck!

Robin41 10-14-2007 08:29 PM

Just reading this post gave me cold chills. This was one of my biggest fears at my highest weight. I understand your quitting your job comment; I actually once skipped a free trip to Hawaii out of fear of seating issues.

I hope the flight is very smooth and you don't have any problems. Most flight crews do seem pretty discreet about the extender issue; I'd ask for it when I first got onto the plane so that I wouldn't have to ask once everybody is settled and can see what's going on.

Jen415 10-15-2007 08:42 AM

That's what I do, Robin--I ask for one when I get on. And I don't say it sheepishly either--I say it with confidence and not shame.

Believe it or not, even at my current size, I usually don't need it! It does depend on the airline, though.

I 'm flying Northwest in a few weeks . I just checked seatguru.com ( thanks kfs151!) and my seat will be 17 inches across. Luckily my partner and I are sitting on the side with just two seats, and we can put the arm rest up between us! :)

Marseille 10-15-2007 10:47 AM

I had a recent business trip and was at 270 5'2 when I flew. The 747 was a snug seat but had plenty of extra seat belt. The DC-10 was roomy.

gina1221 10-15-2007 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I am little less freaked out but on my way to the airport now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kae 10-15-2007 04:51 PM

I feel for you. I flew in May and was the same weight I am now.. about 245. I didn't fit into the seat right. I had never had that problem before. I was in a window seat so I was able to hide the fact that the seat belt wasn't fitting me. I kinda had to sit at a weird angle though because I was squished with having the arm rest down.

tamaralynn 10-15-2007 05:24 PM

Wow I never realized that there were seat size restrictions :S

Then again I've only ever flown about 3 times in my life. Once I was so young I can't remember, the second time I was 12 (about 130) and once when I was 19 (about 200 lbs)

SuchAPrettyFace 10-15-2007 07:32 PM

I fly 3-4 times a year, I always ask for an extender as soon as I get on the plane. Sometimes I need it, sometimes I don't. I've been bringing my own blanket lately, and tucking it in so half the time they can't even see whether it buckles or not. muahaha.

You should be fine. On my last flight I gave up my seat & was bumped up to first class!!! What a world of difference!!!! The seats were awesome, they gave me something to drink before we left, they offered me a free snack. It was almost like dealing with an entirely different airline. :lol:

PeggyP 10-15-2007 08:09 PM

Gina,
I feel for you, too. I have flown on a few overseas flights. Every year I've gotten bigger and bigger. I know I was over 250 this last time. I didn't need an extension, but I had that belt pulled as big as it would get! I, too was squished with the arm rests down. If I go back next summer, I'm so hoping to not have that problem again! It takes away from the fun of flying.....

melsfolly 10-15-2007 08:19 PM

Well, you're already on your way or more than likely you're already here in Atlanta but I'd be willing to bet that you didn't have any problem. We're about the same height and when I used to fly I never needed a seatbelt extender until I got over 300 lbs. (and even then I didn't ask for an extender - *gasp* I just pulled a blanket over me so that they didn't know that I didn't have the belt fastened). I can't wait to hear how it went!

KforKitty 10-16-2007 07:04 AM

On smaller planes I have needed an extension before but just asked discreetly for it. I fly to Orlando in 10 days time and will be happier 50lb lighter, not just for the seatbelt but mainly not having the armrest wedged into my side.

I would not recommend travelling without a belt however just to save a little embarassment.

Kitty

gina1221 10-16-2007 04:14 PM

Well, I am in Atlanta! Whew! Actually, it wasn't too bad. I did NOT need the seat belt extender which surprised me since most of my weight is in my stomach. I had about half of an inch room to spare with the seat belt but fitting into the seat was definitely not comfortable. I managed and am not dreading the return flight so much since it will be with the same airline and type of plane (Delta 757 - for anyone curious).

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. :hug: