Old 10-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #1  

Default And the cookies called my name....

So, on top of my fridge are two dozen halloween cookies I made for my son's soccer game snack today, but the game was cancelled.

And, when everyone goes to bed at my house if when the "food talks" to me

Tonight these same cookies were whispering "yummie" which turned into a yell of "let me know, get me a glass of milk, etc."!!!

So, I did take them down, grabbed three of the orange frosted yummy treats and placed them in a bowl and headed to the couch. I took two bites out of one cookie and then heard my husband getting up for something.....

So, get this -- I actually SAT ON THE BOWL so he wouldn't see them. After he went back to bed I realized what a twit I am being!! The fact that no one sees me eat at night (I've been great the last four nights) does not mean the calories don't count!!

I will admit it caused embarassment/shame to me to realize I had orange frosting all over my backside -- but it also made me laugh a bit at how ridiculous I've been these last ten years with this type of behavior.

And, you know what -- the two bites I did take weren't that good anyway.

So, the talking cookies are now yelling their lungs off in the garbage can, where they belong!! The rest will be off to church in the morning for someone else to consume!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

LMAO!!! Its not funny, but I can totally see me doing that. Glad u tossed them.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Way to go Shelby!!!!!!! I am glad you didn't eat any, and having an orange frosted backside, made me chuckle.
You are not alone, I have sneaked food at night, I would grab it and hide it in my big roomy clothes and then eat in bed with the food under the covers while everyone was a sleep, then the next day when someone asked where that food went, I sank to the level of blaming someone else in the house ... they ate it not me. I am glad you got over this night, and know you can get over many more.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Excellent Shelby. We've all done things like this. Sounds like you had a real A HA moment there. I'm glad you've recognized this behavior. I think it's real important to be brutally honest and pinpoint our trouble spots - and then of course deal with them. You CAN get past them. It's such a relief when we do. It's the greatest feeling to know that we've conquered a bad habit. And so rewarding. Keep up the good work. Just keep at it. I KNOW you can do this. I just absolutely, positively KNOW it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #5  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Way to go!! Nasty old cookies! I had the same issue last night with some leftover dinner that was beckoning me. I thought long and hard about going in and having a bowl. I ended up putting it down the garbage disposal. Waste of money, saver of my sanity.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #6  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

My real weakness use to be when we had cottage roll, or any kind of ham. It would call to me at around 1-2 am... so I would get up and make a sandwich or even just take one piece and then go back to bed.

Congrats on tossing them hun.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #7  
Kristina

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

That is sooo funny! Hey - I've done the same thing - I bought a carrot cake and kept it in my car and ate on it while I was in my car driving alone. I just for the first time the other night admitted to my husband that I eat when he's not around - and hide food. He was in awe. But he's so great - and so encouraging. Now I don't feel the need to do that...lol...
Prissiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I've soooo been there, too. WTG at tossing the cookies.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Don't you hate when those things won't shut up! DH bought a dozen donuts home Friday night. I was feeling very weak, so I put the entire box in the car for the night. I knew if they were in the kitchen I would hear them calling.

I couldn't hear them in the driveway.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #10  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

I sat there tonight and had Lemon Meringue pie calling to me while a friend had a late dinner in a restaurant. I was so proud of myself for shuddering and handing the menu back to the waitress without ordering it.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Shelby,
Good for you! I HATE the fact that I LOVE cookies!!! They do have big mouths don't they!! It's wonderful that you had the power to throw those babies away!! Sometimes it isn't easy. I've put leftovers in the garbage disposal, too. I felt a twinge of guilt for doing so, but agree that samity is more important!!

Blessings!
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I swear I thought I was the only one that food talks to. It's amazing what all an inanimate object can say.

Its funny you sat on the cookies to hide them from hubby, we dont want others to catch us "in the act" so we deceive them when we are really deceiving ourselves.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Hi Shelby. You just helped me out of a moment. Thank you. I am sitting at my desk at work craving some cookies. Thankfully, I don't have any near me. I would have to go down to the cafeteria to get some and I was about to do that when instead of reacting to my craving I decided to hop online to see if I could distract myself with support stories. That's when I came upon your story.

I needed a good chuckle and your story was too cute. First off, good job throwing them away, but the whole frosting on the butt bit was too funny. I was laughing so hard I forgot about my cravings.

That said, I have been where you have been more times than I would like to admit. Isn't it interesting human behavior that we should want to hide certain foods from others. It's the "kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar" syndrome.

Thanks for helping me through my moment!
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #14  

You know, I've realized that this whole "lifestyle change" requires quite a bit of humor, or I would cry!! If something is not in my house, I have no desire/craving for it -- but the minute I know that behind the cabinet door is a box of little debbie brownies, it's like playing tug of war and some how the sugar is usually stronger than me!! Can't eat what isn't here!! Even my kids are getting into rice cakes, grapes, apples, etc. Only a hard core food addict could binge on mini rice cakes!! And really, even if I ate the whole bag, it would be like 200 calories!!

Hope everyone had a nice day -- and I'm happy to admit there is no frosting anywhere to be found on me, my jammies or my mouth!! And, tomorrow finishes week one for me -- with two slip ups but I'll take that over 24/7 of eating garbage!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #15  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I can't say that I have ever sat on a cookie but I applaud your effort to deal with the ongoing issue of having foods that tempt us around when we least want or need them.

For years, I used to bake for others because I "thought" they wanted me to. I found out later that I would bake chocolate chip cookies for my husband, he would eat two out of three dozen and then "forget about them". How do you forget about chocolate chip cookies? I didn't and I didn't even really like chocolate chip cookies all that much.

It was then I realized that I was expressing my love for him by baking. Remember that commercial, "Bake someone happy". Here is the antidote:
how about "un-bake some one happy"? It doesn't mean that we can't nurture our family or our selves just not with high sugar/high fat foods. How about small boxes of raisins? Kids love them.

What I stopped doing was setting traps for me to fall into. If my husband wants me to bake him something, I will but it is really interesting how much that was my idea more than his.

Now, I do one of three things: 1)if I am asked to bring something, I stop by the grocery store and buy something from the bakery---wrapped and sealed---to bring along. No it's not homemade and yes I bake better than they do BUT it is not going to tempt me if I had it around my house. If someone says anything, and who would?, my answer would be I have a food allergy. I can't eat that because of " x-y-z" allergy. People are more sensitive about that than whether you are dieting. Sad but true!

2)go ahead and bake it but make the smallest amount as possible and make sure it is all divided and handed out within minutes (seconds?) so there is nothing left. Put dish soap and hot water in the bowl immediately so you aren't tempted to lick anything.

3)Give the rest to a neighbor, especially someone elderly, again, if they don't have any special dietary needs rather than the garbage. I don't like to waste anything but if it ended up in the garbage--which I have followed it right into that Hefty bag---I am a recovering compulsive eater---then the garbage bag has to go out to trash immediately!

Good job on standing your ground! Hope the icing got out of your pants
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote