I feel awful

• Since last night my ankle is hurting. It starts and stops. I figured I didn't want to make it worse, I decided I'd force today to be a rest day. I really don't want to wind up in a cast and not be able to exercise at all. Also, I need to walk for my job. What makes it worse, I had a cheat meal yesterday. In my mind cheat meal + not exercising the next day is not staying on the wagon. But hopefully the rest day is what I need. I might do some yoga which might help my ankles.

But on a good note, today I am getting my first reward for the weight loss!
  • Hi,
    I would say take care of the ankle, it is not swollen or anything? Start exercising when it is better, and if you want to do any kind of exercise, you could do free weight lifting sitting down. Stick to what you plan to eat for your weight loss, and you should be fine.
    Get well soon.
    cheryl
  • Hey! Sorry about your ankle!

It's wonderful to have goals, but they shouldn't be oppressive. I believe that it's wrong to force the body to exercise if the exercise has resulted in a joint being sore. I don't mean muscle soreness (although if that's extreme, I'd say the same thing).

Our bodies aren't machines, although some like to think of them that way. Bodies are capable of self-repair, but they need time in which to do that.

The basic first aid instructions are: rest, ice, compression, elevation. You can easily do the ice pack and elevation while watching TV in the evening. Compression is a wrap of some kind, but you'd want to consult with a nurse or doctor about that. Rest, well...

Just try to keep your eating on track while your ankle gets better, and do some other forms of exercise for your upper body. Yoga is good, but not moves in which you have to stretch your ankle... Just my 2 cents!

Jay
  • It's not swollen. I've just had a bad joint week! This week I stepped wrong on my bad knee at work and it was killing me. So since then I've been trying to include better stretches for my knee. And then, the ankle starts. BLEH! Although I have noticed the sore ankle is making my knee worse.

Thanks everyone.
  • I'm a little worried about the "on the wagon" mindset. I know that, for me, I can't think of it that way because it implies that I'm either succeeding or not succeeding, with no in between. And, of course, if I've decided that I'm not succeeding, it means that there's no food in any quantity that is off limits for me. So, I just try to focus on individual choices. Is the exercise right now harmful or helpful? That's the choice to make for your body. It doesn't have anything to do with how good your food choices were the day before. You are not "off the wagon." You had either a slip-up or a planned cheat meal one day, and you're making a choice about exercise the next. Completely separate choices in this lifetime of daily choices. Just thought I'd share the thought because it helps me to look at it that way.
  • Daimere, definitely rest your ankle until it's better. I sprained my ankle a couple of weeks ago and didn't stay off of it. Result - resprained it (before it was healed) playing raquetball. It's 10 times worse than the original sprain.

Let your body heal and exercise what you can for now.
  • Quote: I'm a little worried about the "on the wagon" mindset. I know that, for me, I can't think of it that way because it implies that I'm either succeeding or not succeeding, with no in between. And, of course, if I've decided that I'm not succeeding, it means that there's no food in any quantity that is off limits for me. So, I just try to focus on individual choices. Is the exercise right now harmful or helpful? That's the choice to make for your body. It doesn't have anything to do with how good your food choices were the day before. You are not "off the wagon." You had either a slip-up or a planned cheat meal one day, and you're making a choice about exercise the next. Completely separate choices in this lifetime of daily choices. Just thought I'd share the thought because it helps me to look at it that way.

ME TOOOOO!!! I spent a lifetime either "being good" or enjoying an all you can eat buffett 24/7 LOL, there was NO in between!! The success I've enjoyed I firmly believe has come from the change in mindset...if I slip up, it's not an excuse to eat like a starving frat boy for a week, instead I try to get back on track with the next meal.