3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   So disgusted! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/124747-so-disgusted.html)

ThisTimeIsDifferent 10-10-2007 12:52 PM

So disgusted!

I was working out today. Today is the first day that I put on a pair of shorts to workout in, I usually do it in pants. Well I was looking at my legs, and I'm so disgusted with myself! I can't believe I've let my weight get this far. My legs are so big, and I have spider veins in my right calf. I'm also starting to get varicose veins in the same leg. It's so gross. I'm very disappointed in myself! Does anyone know if the veins go away after the weight loss?? Do they go away as a result of exercise??

Thanks for listening

Meg 10-10-2007 01:05 PM

I have/had both varicose veins and spider veins. Yep, both can be made worse by excess weight, though normal weight people get them too.

Spider veins are easily treated with injections. Varicose veins can sometimes be treated with injections and sometimes surgery is required. I believe there are some newer laser therapies that work for some varicose vein cases. It's worth checking with your doctor. :)

I had my varicose veins surgically removed in both legs after weight loss. Unfortunately, they were more noticeable after I lost weight -- I guess they came out of hiding in all that fat! :lol: Insurance paid for the surgery because a Doppler test showed that I have something called chronic venous insufficiency in both legs. It basically means that the valves controlling the blood flow aren't working properly so my legs swell. I believe that my many years of obesity cause the underlying vein problems.

I now wear (expensive!) compression pantyhose, especially when exercising, and am hoping that will prevent any further varicose veins from forming. Something like that might help yours from getting worse. :)

So far as my experiences go and based on all that I've read, weight loss and/or exercise alone won't make spider or varicose veins go away. Once the damage is done, it's done, I'm sorry to say.

nelie 10-10-2007 01:07 PM

I don't believe veins go away. My mom has had them for many years and they stayed after her weight loss. Also, she never went over 200 lbs (although she has a small frame). I don't have vericose veins myself though despite my years of being over 300 lbs.

I believe the new laser techniques will get rid of them though.

KforKitty 10-10-2007 06:21 PM

I have spider veins around both my lower legs and a varicose vein on the inside of my left leg. These appeared when I was pregnant with my second child. Unfortunately whatever weight I am they are always there but I don't think they've worsened in 8 years. I currently using a cream on the spider veins which has helped a little with the appearance of them but only expensive treatment will remove them.

Kitty

PeggyP 10-11-2007 08:38 AM

Thanks so much for the post! I've been wondering the same thing about my varicose veins!
Meg, if I may ask, what were the symptoms of the CVI? That thought crossed my mind, also. The doctors never mentioned that they thought the extreme swelling in my legs was a problem, but I didn't know there was a name for it!

Meg 10-11-2007 08:52 AM

Peggy, my symptoms were pretty vague -- just swelling and tiredness in my legs, especially after being on my feet for a while. I thought it was all due to my obesity, so didn't even think to get it checked out until I lost the weight.

I saw a vascular surgeon and just wanted to find out how to fix my very obvious varicose veins. He's the one who ordered the Doppler testing. It was all news to me!

Even with the varicose veins fixed, my legs still swell. The condition can't be cured, just managed. My calves (like Robin's) are out of proportion with the rest of me. I still have trouble finding boots to fit my wide calves, even though the rest of me is pretty small. :dizzy:

Here are some links with more info:

Chronic Venous Insufficiency

Chronic Venous Insufficiency

If it's something you want to have checked out, you would see a vascular surgeon. Good luck! :)

PeggyP 10-11-2007 08:54 AM

Meg,
Thank you SO much for the information!! You've been a great help!
Blessings,