Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Default New, again

I haven't posted in a very long time so I'm "new, again". I need support in my healthy-ness.

A bit about me and where I'm at right now. I've decided I don't want to "diet" anymore and I don't want to hide in my "overweight-ness". I've been looking back over my weight loss history and wondered why have my efforts failed me over and over again. I think it's because of my viewpoint of being overweight that makes me think there is something wrong with me, something not worthy about me because of my weight. But after going in and out of weight watchers, attending an overeaters anonymous meeting, doing other diet programs, trying it on my own, I have come to realize that there is nothing wrong with who I am. I am a perfectly good person. I don't need to be "recalled", this product (me) is not damaged or dented or hazardous to anyone. But, that's how I've viewed myself in the past, which only made me sink deeper and deeper into the food.

That said, I still weigh more than my physical body wishes me to be. I have absorbed all the negative self-thinking into my body via food and that is how I got to where I am right now. I am at a dangerously unhealthy weight but for the first time in my life, I love who God created me to be. The inner person is worthy of a healthy and beautiful life. But, this doesn't change my history. I have set my foot on a path that was self-destructive and self-deprivating. How did I allow myself to get here? I need help. I've learned along my way the importance of support and the thrill of having a TEAM beside you to cheer you on (thanks Team in Training). Plus, now I have gained the confidence of having a postive "tape" in my head that reminds me that I (my inner me) is ok just as she is. The fat on my body does not define who I can be. It is what people see of me and it is how my body has reacted to all of my self-abuse on this path but it isn't me. Habits I have formed along the way have wreaked havoc on my health and rolls have formed in places they aren't desired.

All that said... Here I am, standing in this spot of my life wondering how I'll get to that next step of GOOD health. Can you help me?

I grew up with a dietician mom (you'd think I'd have better eating habits), I've attended many weight watchers meetings (you'd think I"d have better eating habits), I've walked/run 3 half marathons and taken many aerobics classes (you'd think I'd have better exercise habits) and I'm stuck. I can't seem to create new habits that I won't quit or fail at. How do I get back on the path of good health and formulate good patterns and habits that will last me a lifetime?

Any ideas?
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

HI!!
Welcome back!!
How do you form healthy eating habits? I don't think I have acheived this yet, I hope it comes with time, but my problem is not healthy eating, it is over eating. I love fruit, veggies, water, but put me in front of Ice cream, sweets, cake, and I can eat and eat. I think just working hard day by day helps, not giving up and if you fall down just get back up and do it again. Also make a list of food you will eat, healthy food, and go out and stock up on it, take out all junk out of the house. I hope one day this comes easy, but for now I won't give up.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzchiki View Post
I can't seem to create new habits that I won't quit or fail at.
No, that's not true. In the past, you didn't create new habits. But, your past doesn't have to define your future. You can do this! Take a look around this site....many of our 3FC friends have done this. If they can do it, you can, too! Have you considered starting off with counting calories and walking for 30 minutes each day? Then, as time passes, you can continue to improve your food choices and increasing your exercise time...maybe, even adding some weight training. Initially, you will have to decide to "Just Do It" even when the changes just don't seem natural. For me, I know that I have to re-commit to my lifestyle changes every single day. Eventually, the changes do seem to become more natural....kinda like new and better habits.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 10-09-2007 at 12:27 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #4  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Ok Rockinrobin and others who have succeeded... your wisdom is needed here. I have read what you all have written in response to these questions and it is far more enlightened than what I can say! What I do know is that it can be done. It takes a commitment to a change in lifestyle.

You can do it!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Diane, funny you should mention Rockinrobin....she just posted this today. Julzchiki, hope you enjoy robin's story as much as I did!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...17#post1886417
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #6  
No description available.

Sometimes I am able to envision the future and long-lasting habits. But sometimes I am not....and I don't think that a long-term focus is always necessary. Now, hear me out, cause I know maintenance is a long-term lifestyle change.

But there is a way to focus smaller and more short-term. Simple yes and no type questions.

1) Did I exercise yesterday? If the answer is "no", then exercise today. This simple daily question and answer ensures that you exercise every other day. Not too bad.
2) Is my next meal on plan? Yes or no. If no, tweak it.

There are so many decisions that need to be made on a daily basis, that to consider all the habits and decisions spread out in front of you can be a little overwhelming. So break it down into immediate small pieces.

These two questions, right now, today, plot out success in the moment. Success in the moment, repeated moment after moment, will result in long-term weight loss and maintenance.

Focus on what you can do today, and if you repeat it daily, the future takes care of itself.

Best wishes for the future!

Last edited by midwife; 10-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

Hey julzchiki! You could be me. You sound like me. You even look like me. I can tell you're active because of your pic, just like me . . . and yet, I am "stuck" shedding these pounds, too.

I have huge mental baggage I'm carrying with me. I know my weight is "stuff" I'm hanging on to. I can think it through logically, and know it shouldn't affect me anymore, but I keep holding onto this weight. I know until I can love and accept myself 100% I'll never be free of the weight. It's both my armour to shield me from the world and my form of self-inflicted torture.

I'd love to hear from people who've overcome this sort of obstacle. Or maybe EVERYBODY who loses weight successfully has overcome it. I can tell you though, there are times I feel very much alone.

Last edited by ggmugsy; 10-09-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Losing weight has definitely been a learning process for me. My habits a year ago aren't even my habits today. I think everyone does have to find what is right for them and I do hope you find that.

I do believe that exercise is vital. Even if I don't want to do exercise, if I want to have a healthy body, I know it is necessary.

I also believe in eating foods that will nourish your body. I didn't like vegetables very much a few years ago but now I'm eating lots of veggies. I didn't know about whole foods a few years ago but now my goal is to eat whole foods and not try to fuel my body with processed junk.

I think you are at a vital moment in your life and I believe you can succeed. It may take trial and error but I believe you can get there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

I just read Robin's story and saw her pics. WOW!!!
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I really appreciate all your responses. They are invaluable. I had some successes. I didn’t go out for lunch. Instead I ate my leftovers and bowl of soup as planned. I found myself craving chocolate about an hour or so after lunch so I ate a few chocolate chips but I stayed away from the office candy jar. Instead, I went to the bathroom and drank more water. The water and no soda was a good choice for me as well. Successes for my day.

Rhonda, you’re right. I haven’t created new habits. That’s the problem. I begin to change my lifestyle but then something happens (which I still struggle to identify) and I quit or fail and return to my old “comfy” habits. I definitely need help in this area. I appreciated your comment: you will have to decide to "Just Do It" even when the changes just don't seem natural. It literally is a moment by moment decision right now and I constantly find myself faced with temptations and challenges to make the right choices. Thank you for referring me to Rockin Robin’s story. So, inspiring and encouraging.

Midwife, great idea to have simple yes/no questions. I sort of already ask them but I seem to be good at giving to acceptions. Definitely something to continue to work on. Yes, success in the moment! Most definitely an important aspect to reaching success I think.

Mindy, so good to hear about other women who are active but stuck with the weight. I definitely want to live an active lifestyle but with the extra weight and self consciousness, I often stand in my own way. We can get through this together. Let’s keep supporting one another.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you read This Thread?

Decision. Commitment. Dedication. Passion.

I do believe I remember you...welcome back!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Welcome back!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote