Old 10-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Childish vs. Grown up Eating!

someone's probably already thought of this, but I really feel like until about 6 months ago, I was eating like a spoiled child! Whenever the thought of any yummy treat entered my head, BOOM, in it went! "hey this is sweet and delicious i want MORE" well OK! in it went!

Now I feel a bit more grown up (duh i'm only 40 I should feel grown up!!) that I'm able to say "not today, but maybe a little bite at another time"

Anyone else feel this way?

ps. as an aside, I watched OPRAH today as it's a statutory holiday here in Canada and there's not much else on TV right now...but Jerry Seinfeld's wife and Dr. Oz were on - she was talking about having all sorts of vegetable purees on hand, frozen, and sneak it into food! it was really cool
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Yes, that is how it feels to me. I also hear the little kid "I don't WANNA" whine in my head when I'm thinking about avoiding exercise.

I'm finally ready to grow up.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default You're right!

I had never really thought is through before but you are right.

When I was a kid my mom wouldn't let us have much junk food. Of course when I was a kid was when Happy Meals were just coming out. She let us have 2 cookies for dessert. She made us eat vegetables that we didn't like.

When I got married and got to shop and cook for myself I bought what I wanted. I thought "now I'M the grown up and I can have whatever I want!" Well, I did and look where it got me. I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Vegetables? Yuck, why should I eat those if nobody is here to make me? Exercise? Yeah right.

At 41 I've had to become my own grown up. I'll get the hang of this eventually. I hope.
Supersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, I saw Oprah. I missed the first few minutes though. I thought it was pretty cool as well. Have I ever mentioned just how adorable I think Dr. Oz is? It was nice to see him out of his scrubs. Wait, I digress. Sheesh. Umm, but yeah, it was an interesting show. I watched it with my daughter. She thought it was cool too. She also loved how soooo many of the foods they were pureeing, that we eat all the time in their un-pureed state. She also liked when he talked about fiber. It kind of confirmed for her, not that she needed it, that Mom knows what she's talking about. Quite cool indeed. Oh, and did I mention just how cute I think Dr. Oz is? Yeah, I think I did.

And yes, I know just what you mean about eating like a grown up. I DO feel all adult eating the foods that I'm eating now and the size portions that I am. I feel very responsible and that I make such sensible choices. I also feel very much in control. These things DO make me feel very adult-like about my "diet". And I LOVE it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I have had this thought too! Sometimes we have to really discipline our child-selves when it comes to eating:

Child-Me: I want that king size bag of peanut butter cups! Yum!
Adult-Me: No, that is bad for you. And you'll feel lousy afterwards. How about some carrots and hummus?
Child-Me: YUCK!! I don't want those nasty carrots! Why should I eat that when I can have cupcakes?? Buy me those cupcakes! I deserve them!
Adult-Me: No, those cupcakes are really not what you need right now...
Child-Me: YES THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!
Adult-Me: Calm down now, how about a big glass of water and a walk around the block?
Child-Me: (screams, kicks walls, jumps up and down)
Adult-Me: Go to your room.

That's kinda how it goes some days...

Lyn
TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #6  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

OMG Lyn that sounds just like my 4 and 9 year olds... and SO LIKE ME A FEW MONTHS AGO!! I heard that before too, it's time to grow up and accept the fact that I can't eat everything I see.

I HATE GROWING UP. I want cupcakes.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #7  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It's so true! I would have no qualms telling a child I was responsible for not to eat something that wasn't good for them, but I never said no to myself. I think we're all in need of a little self-parenting...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's also about self discipline. I had none before. VERY childlike. Now I do.

Gosh, it's easier (and more fun) being a kid sometimes.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #9  
Bikini Season :)

amen!

i'm the only "grown up" i know that eats hotdogs, corndogs, spaghetti o's....
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #10  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

kate my soul sister. Oh my gosh I love spaghetti o's and read the label, they aren't back for you either lol.

I don't eat the other stuff but my hubby and the kids love corn dogs. Notice how he is lumped in with the kids a lot lol.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Height: 5'6"

I had to un-lurk to reply to this! I'm 47 and have been sharing a house with my mother for the past 3 years. It's been interesting to watch her eating patterns and see how they may have formed my own bad habits in childhood.

Actually, when we go grocery shopping together, more often than not I'm the "grown up" and mom's the "child"; she wants to try every new kind of cookie, or buy 2 cartons of ice cream because they're "2-fers." At least I've gotten her to stop buying soda "for the girls" (my daughter & niece), and I cook our dinners so I have control over what goes on my plate.

Oh, but it's fun being "stuck" in the middle!
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #12  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Most of the time I'm very happy that I've become a grown-up. Yesterday, on a Sunday, I got up at 8:00am and actually went to the gym and had a great workout. The child-me would NEVER have done something so lame.

Then that evening, after my Sweetie and some friends had gone out for a fresh, healthy dinner, I stopped at Arby's for my daughter. The place doesn't have a drive-thru so I had to go inside. I was totally disgusted by the smell of grease. There was a time when Arby's was one of my favorite places to eat and last night it was all I could do to stand there waiting for my kids food.

Although, I will say that over at a friends house yesterday afternoon, her Halloween peanut M & M's did call my name and the little brat got lose and had two very small handfuls.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Lyn ROFL that is so funny and SO TRUE!
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

LOL - I love that!

Now if only the child could learn that angry finger painting us just as much fun as cupcakes!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

Growing up is hard to do!

But it's a fun kind of responsability... realizing that I'm in full control now.

Everytime I eat something healthy I'll just have to jokingly refer to it as "disciplining the child" now!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote