Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default What do you do for PMS?

I really need some help so I do not flip out and binge. I have BAD PMS. Anyone else feel all moody and like eating the house for a few days before TOM? I am expecting TOM in 2 days and I am a basket case. I feel bloated and tired. I am SO moody. I feel like everything is fine one minute and then the next, I want to cry and scream over nothing! I get like this every month.

In the past I would deal with my PMS by salting myself into oblivion. I would eat 3 or 4 whole CANS of Pringles in 2 days, with a case of Coke. I would actually pay my son $10 to ride his bike to 7-11 and pay some crazy price for Pringles and bring them back to me so I could scarf them without going out of the house. I did this, probably in July most recently. Maybe August!

I also would get a package of hot dogs and eat them all myself, in one day.

So now I am just dying here. I did get a slight salt fix for lunch (I had some healthier type tortilla chips) but I feel lousy. What do you do for PMS?? I have taken ibuprofin for cramps or headaches sometimes but never tried Midol, wonder if it would help. But mainly the problem is my MOODS. And how much I am obsessing about food and wanting to eat. Help?

Lyn
TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

My husband calls the few days before, and few days into my period as "meat week," because while most of the month I don't eat a lot of meat, especially red meat, that week I am likely to want "hunks o' meat" like burgers and steaks. I also crave chocolate (which I actually don't care much for the rest of the month).

I've always had horrendous cramps and mood swings (if I am very angry with my husband, there's a 95% chance that it's in the midst of "meat week").

I've also had a life-long pattern of gaining a great deal of weight during "meat week," so much so, that I would have to be very vigilant to have a monthly net loss. Birth control pills made the process a little easier (at least more stable and predictable). Several months ago the doctor heading our hospital's weight management clinic (I can't afford the program, but at least the consultation yielded some helpful information) told me that progestin levels are associated with the kind and intensity of cravings I described. She suggested a bc like Yazmin, or just stacking regular bc (where you eliminate or reduce the number of placebo days to eliminate or reduce periods).

It's really made a difference for me.

As for Midol, check the ingredients. I don't know what their new formula might be, but ages ago it was only regular pain reliever with caffeine added. If that's still the case, it's cheaper to just use generic pain relievers with a caffeinated beverage. Often tylenol and an NSAID (like ibuprofen or naproxen) can be taken together (ask your doctor first), that's what my doctor recommended, and it was a big improvement over either alone. I was taking prescription strength ibuprofen at the time (equivalent to about 8 OTC caplets, but again talk to a doctor before increasing ibuprofen dosage), and 2 OTC acetaminophen (tylenol) caplets, and had to start taking the the medications the day before cramps were due (another reason bc was helpful, because it was easy to chart exactly when that was going to be). My gynecologist at the time said it was a lot easier to prevent cramps than it was to stop them once they started, and that certainly has been true for me. When I herniated a disc in my back about 15 years ago, I was given vicoden. If I went too long without the vicodin during TOM, it would stop the severe back pain, but barely touch the menstrual cramps.

The only two doctors I evern had that really understood how bad it could be, had personal experiences with it. A female gynecologist who experienced it herself, and a male ob/gyn who's wife suffered with it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #3  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

Well, this want help you right now but for me I had to look at the foods I was eating. Ever since my period started at age 9 I have had a horrible time with cramps and PMS. Over the years I have tried many different things, BCP, changes in diet ect.... The thing I have found that helps me the most is cutting out dairy products. I don't know what is it them that triggers it for me but if I go without them for a few weeks before my period the PMS is not as bad and the cramps are pretty much nonexistent. I hope you find something that helps.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #4  

Colleen, thank you for all that information! I am going for my monthly exam to the GYN in early December and I will ask him about those options.

Carrie thank you also for the tip. And I couldn't help but notice we have something in common. I also had 4 kids ages 5 and under....and now they are all teens and preteens! The fun never ends! <grin>

Lyn
TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
My Blog:
Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I used to have horrid cramps and bleeding until I started the Pill. When I do get cramps and mood swings now, I do the following:

Eat exactly one cup of ice cream every day.
Exercise - helps TREMENDOUSLY with the cramps.
Sex if it's an option - it may be TMI for this board, but if you Google it, it'll give you all the benefits.

Keep in mind, the reason you have so many cravings during TOM is because your metabolism is actually a bit jacked up. So if you keep your eating fairly normal and drink lots of water, you'll lose a bit of weight during the week.
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My 11 year old daughter just started her monthly 4 months ago and she has horrible PMS....hers comes with out-of-control rages that are driving us crazy. Here is what the doctor recommends:

Limit caffeine, salt and refined sugar - this will help reduce bloating, fatigue, tension and depression.
Eat plenty of complex carbohydrates and protein....in six small meals a day. This helps maintain your insulin levels which helps keep your energy levels steady...no highs and lows.
Take a calcium supplement of 1200mg daily and magnesium of 200mg daily..this helps with fluid retention and stress.
Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily. This helps reduce stress and tension and acts as a natural mood enhancer.
Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night. This also helps with tension.

Hope these tips help you. Its too early yet to tell if they are helping my daughter. My biggest challenge is getting enough calcium in her diet. She won't take it in pill form and she hates milk, cheese, etc. Also, it is impossible for her to eat 6 small meals a day when she is in school...and, trying to get her to exercise is futile! But, I'm still hopeful.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 10-08-2007 at 02:05 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #7  
No description available.

What Rhonda said.

And you may wish to consult your health care provider about continuous cycle birth control or the hormonal IUD....both of which have prescriptive indications for PMS.

Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Here is what the doctor recommends:

Limit caffeine, salt and refined sugar - this will help reduce bloating, fatigue, tension and depression.
Eat plenty of complex carbohydrates and protein....in six small meals a day. This helps maintain your insulin levels which helps keep your energy levels steady...no highs and lows.
Take a calcium supplement of 1200mg daily and magnesium of 200mg daily..this helps with fluid retention and stress.
Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily. This helps reduce stress and tension and acts as a natural mood enhancer.
Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night. This also helps with tension.
MAN, I LOVE your doctor!!! This is just what I was going to say, based on research I have done, classes I have taken and have had supported by holistic doctors. It is so great to know other doctors are out there that support preventative measures instead of just prescribing pills immediately!

I have a 14 year old daughter and let me tell you, following those guidelines, along with hot baths, acupuncture and massage has made all the difference.

There are a few good calcium supplements in candy form, including this one:

http://www.koshervitamins.com/shop/s...3&Item_ID=2581

This one doesn't have the magnesium but it really is a good tasting one!

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=3047
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #9  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

What do I do when I have PMS?

Shake my fist to the heavens because of the unfairness of it all, and then drink tea. Somehow warm liquids help me. I really try to drink a lot that week to help with the bloating and I try to stay away from the salty stuff since it makes me feel bigger.

It has gotten a lot better since I changed birth control, I'm on the Nuvaring.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #10  

Great ideas from everyone! I will be trying them out.

Rhonda, have you tried giving your daughter Viactiv chews for calcium? They come in chocolate and caramel and taste like candy. They have vitamin D too. They even make a "Viactiv for Teens" in a CHocolate Brownie flavor that is YUMMY... same amount of calcium as regular viactiv.

Lyn
TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
My Blog:
Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #11  

Actually I was just thinking... about 11 years ago after I had my fourth child, my PMS got SO bad. I was literally on the couch, green with naausea, so exhausted I could barely move, so sick my neighbors could look at me and tell it was TOM and would come over and cook and clean for me. I was that sick. So I went to the GYN and he tried my on birth control pills and I got very sick (like I do when pregnant... actually vomiting). He said I am extremely hormon sensitive. I tried the mini pills a couple years ago and they made me vomit as well. Anyway, back 11 yrs ago he tried putting me on Prozac for the PMS but it did not help either. So he took me off that as well.

So now I am considering asking him about other ways to help this PMS. My husband has a vasectomy so I really don't need birth control, but if it would help... maybe. I don't get nauseous-sick anymore, but it is my moods that are really extreme for 2 or 3 days.

Lyn
TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
My Blog: