Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Default Speaking of goals

I'm noticing a real slow down in my weight loss. I know this is normal but it really makes it tough to set realistic, yet ambitious, goals. How did you all (those of you that have been here and were also mini goal setters) handle this? I just BARELY met my wedding anniversary goal. Now, I'm thinking Thanksgiving. I initially put 7 pounds...because it's about 7 weeks away. But then I thought maybe that's too ambitious...so I switched to 4 pounds. But that seems kind of sissy! hahaha I love mini-goals...meeting them keeps me SOOOO motivated. I don't want to give them up.

Advice?
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I did have mini-goals set up for myself. I made them though with the full intent of knowing that it was just something to shoot for. So there was absolutely NO disappointments if I DIDN'T meet them. Though it was FUN and exciting when I DID meet them. When I got down to the near end, the goal line so to speak, I elminated the time frames altogether. I was just happy with any loss at all during any given week.

In order for me to keep losing steadily and to meet those mini-goals, I kept decreasing my calories. When that was no longer an option, (didn't want to go too low) I just really, really STUCK to my calorie allotment, eating really high quality foods. I also kept increasing my exercise. I was up to 2 hours a day towards the end.

I had to lower my expectations as I got closer to goal. That's all there is to it. Weight loss will slow down the closer you get to goal.

You have to know yourself. If you think 7lbs is too ambitious and you will be disappointed if you don't make it, then by all means lower it. If you think it will HELP you stay on plan and be even more vigilent, I say give the 7lbs a go. I know that wasn't very helpful, but it really is an individual thing.

Good luck Tricia. I know whatever you decide, you are a definite LOSER. I mean that in a good way, but I think you knew that.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

Since it's so hard to control the scale (it drives me nuts) I set different goals. Like walking so many miles a week or making it through the evening without having a snack attach. I set mini goals each week that I can control. As I get closer to my goal the scale is just creeping and even 1 pound a week doesn't always happen for me no matter how hard I work.

You have done an AWESOME job - very impressive numbers!
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I only set goals that are in my control, such as x minutes of exercise per week, or x calories per day. When my body decides to give up weight is not within my control. For me, it's a setup for unnecessary disappointment and feelings of failure to set weight loss by x date goals.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

When I started in July 2004, my only goal was to "lose some weight by Chrismtas before I see my mom." I was careful not to attach numbers to dates, I didn't want to potentially discourage myself if I didn't reach a specific goal by a specific date.

Eventually, my weight loss really really really slowed down. I lost the first 55-60 lbs in 7 months, it took me another 9 months to lose the last 13 lbs. It was frustrating enough without trying to lose a specific amount of weight at any time in that 9 months!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Wow, thanks for your responses. They are helpful!

I went ahead and adjusted my goal down. I understand your point, Robin, but I love meeting my goals so much that I'm afraid not making 7 would be more of a disappointment than making 4 early!

I just can't give up making these goals. I do have exercise ones, also, but these weight ones are special to me. I love "projecting" where I might be at any given time. I know they're just guesses, but they really do keep me going.

Thanks for your help, everyone. Really!!!!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post
Wow, thanks for your responses. They are helpful!

I went ahead and adjusted my goal down. I understand your point, Robin, but I love meeting my goals so much that I'm afraid not making 7 would be more of a disappointment than making 4 early!

I just can't give up making these goals. I do have exercise ones, also, but these weight ones are special to me. I love "projecting" where I might be at any given time. I know they're just guesses, but they really do keep me going.

Thanks for your help, everyone. Really!!!!
Tricia, that's why I said you have to know yourself. If not hitting the 7 lb mark would disappoint you, then I wouldn't do it. You're absolutely right. When I got into the later stages of my weight loss journey (I say weight loss, because this journey is just beginning, hellllooo - maintenance), I looked at it as "I would llike to lose ___lbs by such and such date. That worked well for me. No disappointments. And I always made them lower, and was therefore even happier when I lost more then I had set out to.

But again, we all have to do what works for ourselves. We're all so interesting, aren't we?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #8  
Ms Lili

S/C/G: 330/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Tricia, I'm just getting started, so I went ahead and set a numbers goal for Thanksgiving because In the first week or two of a diet I always drop a good bit, so I think I'm fairly safe, so long as I stick to the plan. After that, I plan to set number goals, but not link them to a specific date that I have to reach them by. I also like the other ideas shared here, and will try some of them as I go along, just to mix it up. I love your signature, where you list out all of the goals you met - very impressive - I might just steal that idea too!
Miss Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I kind of set goals but not really. Hope for 1lb a week. So far so good. If I finaly get where I don't meet one, guess I will take a look at what I am eating. I don't tend to worry to much about it as long as fit day ( never counted stuff before but I find it to be fun and the site reminds me to eat ) shows I am keeping close to what I think I should be taking in.

Today as I was putting my green olives on fit day i noticed, I hadn't eaten all day. I had a lot of catching up to do lol it was about 3:15 or something like that then. I did a lot of eating for the last 3 hours lol.

Still have two more meals ( I break each meal down into two meals ) to get in today.

I set a loose goal on the first of this month to have 6lbs gone by nov 9th ( my birthday ) so far have 2 of it gone
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote