1 month and nothing

• I joined one month ago tomorrow. I have lost, 1 pound. I can't stop binging at night. I do great until I put the girls to bed at 8, then I hit the kitchen and consume 2 or 3 thousand calories.

I could do this if my husband was home. If he was here I wouldn't cheat because I would hurt him. He is not here so I tell myself I can make it up.

I keepmaking excuses not to exercise more. *sigh*
  • Kati, I am so sorry that you are missing your husband! I just can't imagine what it would be like.

Why would you be keeping 2000-3000 calories worth of snackables available in your house? Get them outta there. If the girls are in bed, you can't go out to get more. Create a safe zone for yourself!

Maybe you need a whole new bedtime routine for yourself. I used to do housework after work and then park on the sofa with a bag of chips after my kids went to bed. Now I do all my housework after 8:30. It keeps me really busy and burns a few calories too.

You could also move your workouts to evenings after 8 also. Put in an exercise video as soon as the kids are asleep and chances are, you won't feel so snacky afterwards.

I know, it's gotta be rough! Keep in mind, you may not be able to control what happens to you, but you can certainly control what YOU do to you. Won't your husband be so excited to see a trim, fit wife when he gets home? (He will love you either way, of course, but imagine the look on his face when he gets off the plane!!!)

Good luck, keep trying!!

YOU STILL LOST A POUND!!!! YOU MADE SOME PROGRESS AND YOU DID NOT GAIN WEIGHT!
  • Wow-- you ate that much and STILL lost a pound? Way to go!

As someone told me on this forum, a pound lost is better than a pound gained...

I binge at night, too, so I understand. Try hot tea, maybe-- that gives me some taste and fills my tummy too much to want to eat anything else.
  • Hi,
    I am sorry you are having such a tough time, but if you are eating 2000 + calories you are not going to loose much weight. You need to get the binge food out of the house, replace it with healthy snacks so when you feel like binging you will binge on something healthy. I know with kids it is hard, but I have most of the junk food out of the house, so the kids complain a little but they accept it.
    cheryl
  • This is even sadder than I thought. I am not binging on unhealthy things. I am just eating enough healthy stuff to constipate a cow. *sigh*
  • Hi Kati,
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. My husband is merchant marine and gone for months at a time. We've been doing this for 20 years, so I've got a few things that work for me. I try to keep mostly healthy stuff around. I do buy some treats for the kids, but I try to get them stuff I don't like so it isn't tempting. I give myself a treat every night too. I LOVE greek yogurt with agave nectar and almonds, I've been having that every night lately. Sometimes I make diet hot cocoa with skim milk. Both of these will give you a little protein which will help get rid of your cravings/hunger. I also love the no sugar added fudgesicles. Sometimes I go overboard with these, but if I eat three or four before I stop myself, well that's 160 calories and won't blow the day.

Also, try and figure out what is setting you off. Are you eating enough during the day? Are you craving sweets or carbs? I hope you can work it out - nights can be tough, particularly when you are feeling lonely.
  • Kati, I have been where you are. My husband was away 5 weeks, home 2, and now gone another 6. I have 5 kids. It is driving me batty. Anyway, I think you got some good suggestions about doing an activity after the kids go to bed. Try cleaning, exercising, scrapbooking, or reading. If you must have something, limit yourself to 100 calories. Have a cup of hot tea, or an apple or a yogurt.

For me, what works best is a new habit I have formed. We have dinner around 6. When we are done (6:30-7) I immediately leave the table and go brush my teeth. I do a nice slow job, and floss, and then use a minty rinse. (I also wash and moisturize my face). Then I just don't want to wreck my nice clean teeth with food.

Maybe going to bed earlier would help as well, or calling a friend on the phone to talk.

Don't give up!

Lyn
    TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
    My Blog:
    www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com
  • kati, not sure how it'll go over but for me my best friend when i'm snacky is GUM a nice fresh stick of sugar free gum adn your jaws are busy and your mouth is full but your not noshing on extra calories. I get like that and I pick up my Nintendo DS and play tetris online, my kids say "look mom is saving the world again.....one line at a time" but hey whatever works to get you through the tough spot right?! Good Luck

ps my dh is navy
  • You're lucky because your danger zone is so routine!!

You have to have one treat to look forward to after the girls are in bed, such as a pot of tea with strawberries and a small piece of dark chocolate (healthy!) Or just anything you would look forward to, save the calories for that.

Then CLOSE DOWN THE KITCHEN! Get used to the idea that after you have your end of the day snack, you wash the dishes turn off the light and you're DONE.

Then put a masque on your face, do your nails, do whatever keeps you out of the fridge. Once you do that three nights in a row -- that's your new habit! It will get easier and easier.

I haven't solved all my weight issues but one thing, I'm no longer a night eater or a TV eater. The road to depression is paved with those two habits!

Get yourself a different sort of treat for your alone time (whether a novel or DVD from the library or a gossip tabloid or whatever) and as far as missing your husband just tell yourself: there's no problem that I have that overeating won't make WORSE!
  • Dont feel too badly, I am in the same boat. I do perfectly all frigging day then at night or on the weekends I blow it. I gained 6 lbs this weekend from binging uncontrolably. Yes---six pounds. No it isn't water weight, it is 6 lbs from eating like a sow. It is a habit I am struggling with. I keep having to go back and change my ticker, and it is discouraging. Hang in there. We must not give up. That is the key I guess, keep working on it till you succeed.