Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #16  
MamaSam

S/C/G: 280/200/150

Height: 5'7"

Default just a matter of math? ::long:::

hmm... if weight gain and weight loss was just a matter of math, then I would be skinny and my husband would be fat. He eats 3 or 4 hamburgers at one sitting with a plate full of fries and washes it down with a very large bowl of ice cream. He can eat 12-15 tacos in one sitting! When we go out to eat, he orders two platefulls of food. And no, he does not have a highly physical job either. I eat at least 1/3 if not 1/4 of what my husband does (and always have) and don't add butter or fats to my food and I am 100+ lbs overweight. (and I am not saying that I don't eat alot, just not nearly as much as he does) He is maybe 165 lbs at 5'11" My mother is just like my husband. She has always eaten an amazing amount of food and stayed thin her entire life whereas my father was always on a diet and is extremely heavy. And my mother has always been totally unsympathetic toward both of us, calling us fat pigs etc.

I remember a very painful evening when we sat at the dinner table. She was buttering every cracker she ate before dipping it in the soup all the while telling me that I just need to stop eating so much and then I wouldn't be so fat. I was in tears and my husband pointed out to her that I hadn't eaten anything with butter on it in months and would weigh 500 lbs if I ate like her. She didn't even miss a beat telling him I was a lying about what I ate.

When I was young, I had to run 3 miles a day, swim laps in the pool and keep my portions VERY small in order to comply with the Air Force weight standards. My husband did no exercise at all and would eat 18 tacos to my one and had to have a waiver to get in the military because he was underweight. My weight started to creep up and finally, I just gave up. I was sick of eating salads and watching him eat burgers and fries. Now, I wish I had stuck with my salads.

I think that there are things that make us hang on to fat. A few years ago, my husband, father and I all went on a diet. Hubby lost 21 lbs, my father 100 lbs and I lost 3lbs and I was exercising and they weren't!!! I think I'm the only person on the planet that can't lose weight on Atkins. haha I am losing weight now, but I am on a very restricted diet of only plants. It is the only diet I have ever been on that really works. And, the added benefit is that I am starting to really enjoy vegetables.

I am waiting to see if science discovers an answer to this, although I'm sure if they do, all the skinny minis out there will say it's bogus. I wish I had a nickle for every time someone has told me that I just need to push away from the table while they were stuffing their face with something I wouldn't dare eat. LOL

okay, getting off my soapbox, I'm going to go walk.

Samantha
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Lalique, I'm so glad you've found what is, hopefully, the solution to your problem. I know I was SO frustrated for so long and didn't know why I wasn't losing weight. I counted my calories and exercised and then watched other people's tickers slide down while mine was stuck or had to be bumped up! Finally I did my homework and found that people with PCOS have these bodies that love, love, LOVE carbs and sugar. I cut those down and bam! my pounds are dropping.

It's never a simple matter of calories in vs. calories out; if it was we'd all be able to do the math and drop 5-10 pounds a week. Some people are that lucky, but the rest of us...not so much.

Congrats Lalique. I'm glad you're feeling better and I look forward to cheering you on as your pounds melt away.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote