Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #16  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Hi!
I don't know if anyone can confirm this or not, but I have read that using artificial sweetners really doesn't help that much. (Now, please note I am hooked on Diet Pepsi...)

Apparently the body cannot differentiate between real sugar and fake. Your body tastes something sweet (real or fake) and signals the blood sugar to spike, which in turn will slow down the metabolism and aide the body in holding on to the fat.
As I said, I love DP, but have rationed myself to only one a day, if that. I used to drink a lot more. Now I can't stand the real stuff!!
There must be some truth to the findings, because if you look around, there are so many overweight people who drink diet drinks. If it really helped, I don't think there would be such an obesity epidemic.
If anyone knows more about this, please let me know!!
Take care,
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #17  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm no fan of diet drinks, but I think once the chemical compounds are broken down in our systems, the body can tell real sugar from fake and there are no calories in it ~ our tastebuds may be fooled psychologically, but not in our tummies where it counts

MY personal problem (and maybe why diet cokes are always in the hands of large people) was that i usually had something WITH my diet coke... some chips, some pizza, some mcdonalds
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #18  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

There have been inconclusive studies done about real sugar vs fake. Some schools of thought say that when you give your body artifical sweeteners it tastes it and expects calories but doesn't get any, so it will trigger a hunger signal. It's not the sweeteners that are a problem, but the extra food that often accompanies them.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #19  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I love water! Every once in awhile I'll get a Vitamin Water or have some tea, but water has no calories, it's super refreshing! I have a theory that if you drink something sweet it lingers in your mouth, and may trigger you to eat more food in between meals & snacks. That's why you should brush your teeth or pop a mint after meals, because it clears your palette. BUT, as I said, just my own theory!

I also hate diet soda of any form. If I have to have soda (which, I don't really miss it) I go for the real stuff. Sprite only has 100 calories per 8oz glass. I actually stopped drinking soda (this was back when I lived up north and called it POP) after I was having about 2 cans of Mt. Dew a day... and didn't really miss it. I only started drinking it again when I got a job at Culvers (a fast food place) and we could drink as many fountain drinks as we wanted. I didn't go totally nuts, but I'd get some rootbeer every now and then. Then I moved to Florida to be with my fiance, and he drinks a lot of soda... and eats a lot of fast food... and you know how that goes. I gained 30lbs and of course he is pretty thin! :P

Last edited by rakel; 09-28-2007 at 01:51 AM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #20  

I'm a big believer in everything in moderation and drinking as much water as possible. I actually think its better to have a diet soda than something as sugary as vitamin water.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #21  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I'm no fan of diet drinks, but I think once the chemical compounds are broken down in our systems, the body can tell real sugar from fake and there are no calories in it ~ our tastebuds may be fooled psychologically, but not in our tummies where it counts

MY personal problem (and maybe why diet cokes are always in the hands of large people) was that i usually had something WITH my diet coke... some chips, some pizza, some mcdonalds
But I thought ordering a diet coke cancelled out all the calories in the food you eat with it!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #22  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Does anybody here use Agave nectar as a sweetner? I use a lot of Splenda and I've been thinking a lot about whether I should be using so much. I wonder sometimes if my body is seeing it as sugar and slowing down my weight loss. I do have to really watch my insulin levels and avoid any spikes. Plus, I am a bit concerned about the chemicals I'm putting in my body. It seems kind of ridiculous to be eating a wholesome diet, then adding a processed sugar. I thought about switching to the agave nectar. Can it be added to coffee? Does it have to be refrigerated?

Actually, I think I will post this on a new thread as I'm really curious and would like everybody's input.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 10-12-2007 at 02:09 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #23  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Repeat after me:

Stevia is my friend. Stevia is sweet without the nasty weight issues associated with sugar. Stevia is sweet without the chemicals of artificial sweeteners. Stevia is wonderful as only a drop or three in a cup of tea is like having 3-4 spoons of sugar (careful to not use too much... bitter after taste if you do). Stevia comes in regular or in funky flavours like Chocolate Raspberry, Vanilla Cream, Lemon Drop, English Toffee, etc. etc. Stevia can be used in baking, water to flavour/sweeten, tea, coffee, etc.

Now... I have gotten my silly little mantra out of the way and here is the "skinny" on Stevia (hard to resist that one):

Stevia is a sweet natural herb extract from the leaf of Stevia rebaudiana that does not contain calories.

Stevia extract is sold in main forms:

Liquid
Powder - White
Powder - Green (has more after taste than either of the other versions)

Stevia is recommended to diabetics who love sweet but can't have sweet. It allows you to have your sweet fixes without the calorie intake that you have with other products.

It's extremely sweet. In fact, this remarkable herb, native to Paraguay, has been used as a sweetener and flavor enhancer for centuries. It is often grown by people living in North America who regularly who use it. In fact they grow it up here in Canada so anyone in a warmer climate is good to go as well.

Some places will tell you 4-6 drops for the liquid version. My advice is to add one drop... stir... taste. And repeat until you have figured out what works for YOU.

It is not currently approved in the US as a "sweetening agent" but it is sold as a dietary supplement in most health food stores I have been to (US and Canada).

If you go looking for the flavoured ones then the company you want is: http://www.sweetleaf.com/ and I can vouch for them as this is one of the two brands I prefer. They also have travel packs that are sort of like little sweet'n low packs for the powdered version... hehe

Good luck!

*Oh and no refrigeration needed!*

Last edited by Cuter w Curves; 10-12-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote