3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   What to eat before a workout!?! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/123219-what-eat-before-workout.html)

RoyalAthena 09-20-2007 02:22 AM

What to eat before a workout!?!

Hey all!

I am a littel confused. I workout often. Usually 6 times a week (45 min to an hour of aerobics). I really enjoy it but I know I am pushing my body to it's limit. I work all day usually having lunch at anytime between 11am-2pm, then come home and work out at around 8pm. Anywho, I know I should eat something before working out to give myself some energy workout BUT I dont want to wait an additional hour to work out. I ate yogurt one day and it didnt give me much energy.....I did fiberone cereal one day and it kept trying to come up while I was working out! What do you eat before a workout AND how long do you wait to work out after eating :?: Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mom2mollie 09-20-2007 05:47 AM

I drink a protein shake (mixed with skim milk). It fills my tummy just enough and gives me that extra oomph without making me cramp during a workout. WalMart has an inexpensive protein powder in vanilla and chocolate flavors.
Hope this helps!

hellokitty81668 09-20-2007 06:39 AM

Hi,
I workout in the morning, around 8 am, and when I wake up at 5:30, I usually drink 5 oz of grapefruit juice,or some water, I don't have an appetite so early in the morning, but I don't feel well if I eat at 7 am, and exercise at 8, so I eat breakfast at 9 am, when I am finished.
Have you tried some protien bars? Like Cliff? Maybe they can help.
cheryl

Fooled 09-20-2007 08:07 AM

I used to have a problem when I pushed myself too hard, and I'd smell ammonia, and I looked it up and it sounded like I was burning through all the carbohydrates and my body would start burning through protein. So I would usually eat a small handful (like ten) peanuts and some Gatorade or Powarade until I figured out how much I could push my limit. I would drink a kiddie sized sports drink, though. Those things are loaded with calories.

Now I've more more less figured out what I should be doing so I don't have the ammonia issue any more, and I work out in the mornings before breakfast, so I don't eat anything other than a multivitamin (which doesn't really count as eating) before working out. But if you think you are pushing yourself too hard, I'd recommend the peanuts.

LaurieDawn 09-20-2007 08:46 AM

I'm a big believer in eating something before working out, as I've read that, as Fooled suggested, it causes muscle deterioration if you don't have any fuel for the workout. But I also have eaten too close to working out, so I have had the issue of the food threatening to come up when I work out. Not pleasant, and not conducive to a good work-out. I am so with you on the not wanting to wait an extra hour issue, though, especially if you're not getting home until around 8:00. Can you take something with you to eat about an hour before you get home? I don't know where you work, but if it's an office, I think a protein bar (the Pria bars only have 110 calories, and I think they're really tasty) or a piece of fruit would be mobile enough that you could do that. I have actually eaten each of these within a half an hour of working out, and found them to be good.

Good luck. It sounds like a bit of a dilemma.

Brendansmum 09-20-2007 09:02 AM

Here is an awesome article I found on the ammonia issue. I had experienced this myself and thought it deserved a search. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...?articleid=326
I eat dinner before my workout and I always have some kind of carbohydrate. But sometimes I still end up all shaky after a workout and need to eat something small again. I do usually opt for yogurt or a bowl of cherrios{1c}. From the time I eat to the time I exercise is probably and hour or so. I would do as other posters suggested, take something with you for the ride home.

Sandi 09-20-2007 10:00 AM

On Mondays and Wednesdays I do 45 mins of water aeobics starting at 6:00 pm - around 5:00 pm I have a slice of toast with 1 TBSP of peanut butter. Seems to do the trick.

Pita09 09-20-2007 11:19 AM

I work out in the morning and have a small bowl of cereal or a yogurt with a couple of tablespoons of chopped walnuts mixed in. Both keep me going through my workout.

OptimistK 09-21-2007 07:58 PM

An apple works for me!!! Anything with GOOD carbs will do the trick!

sharonrr1 09-21-2007 11:04 PM

I would definitely try to eat something earlier. I could never go from 11 or 2 until 8 or 9 without eating. I try to eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
My suggestion would be to eat some protein. You don't want to be working out and burning your lean muscle. I would think that is counterproductive.
Hope you find something that works for you.

RoyalAthena 09-25-2007 01:56 AM

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Thanks to all who replied. I know I need to eat more often. I dont eat a snack between lunch and evening.... Looks like you all agree, I need protein :) So, I will try the protein bars! I think they will be a simple solution to my problem. I have got to fit in more meals....I got a Volumetrics cook book...I want to stretch my calories and eat more throughout the day to amp up my metabolism. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that I am not doing myself a service by not eating because I am hurting my muscles. I hadn't EVEN thought about that. Thanks guys!! I really appreciate it!!!!!