Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs down Need Help

Well I seem to keep going up in weight instead of down. My binging has been out of control for about a week now. It kind of comes and goes but this past one was a doozie. Since I dont trust the stupid scale, I stepped on it and it said 288. The same as last week. then I moved it to a different spot and stepped on it. It said 291. So I moved it back to the first weighing spot and it said 291. So...........I THINK I am up 3 lbs, but who frigging knows? I hate the scale thing, I really dont trust it!!

Please kindly kick my hiney back into gear!!! I havent went to the gym in 3 wks and can't stop binging! Ughh!!!!! Somebody kick me!:m ad:
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #2  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I think this has been brought up before, but you can't binge on foods that aren't available to you. Do your cupboards and fridge need a cleaning? Maybe you need a new cute workout outfit to get you to the gym.

Don't worry so much about the scale. The ones that we buy to use in our homes are not able to give you a perfectly accurate assessment of your weight. Actually, few scales exist that can be trusted to be 100% accurate. My doctor sometimes uses a water-displacement tank that you actually immerse yourself in which is supposed to be pretty close for body fat measurement so that might be an option if you REALLY need to know the facts. ANYWAY, rather than obsessing about the fact that it reads differently every time you step on just consider the scale as an estimation tool to see if you are heading in the right direction.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm sure you're doing enough kicking yourself! Is there something going on that's making you binge? Sometimes it's a good idea to figure out what's going on that's triggering your binge. Some people keep a diary of how they're feeling when they eat, which helps them get in touch with their emotions, if that's the binge trigger (and it usually is). I agree with Marseille about not having food to binge on as the first step, although I never had a problem going out and getting some when I was in that mood, unfortunately. Actually, sometimes stepping on that scale triggered a binge for me so I'm all for putting it away until you get back on plan with your food and exercise.

Are you planning and journaling? Planning your food and writing it down might be helpful to you. I've found that if I have a plan for what I'm going to eat, then I can stick to that plan. And put your gym back right by your door so you can grab it and get out of the house. When I don't feel like exercising, there's nothing like that packed gym bag to remind me that I need to move.

Also, have you tried Chicks in Control? They might have some good tips for you. Good luck!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Mugcando it,
I am sorry you are having such a hard time with this. I don't know what can be said that I haven't written before to you. Like get out the junk food/binge food out of the house, write your food down. What it all boils down to until you are ready to really do this, you are going to have problems, downfalls, binges. You are the one who is sabatoging( spelling?) your own weight loss, there is no other excuse( believe me I have used them all), and you are the only one who can make yourself stick with this and loose the weight,but you have to be ready to commit to this and work your butt off. I believe you can do this!! So get on the ball and work on it!!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Aww, Mug, I'm so sorry that you are having a rough go of it.

As far as the scale goes, it's really irrelevant. If you KNOW that you've been binging, well then chances are, the scale has moved up a notch or two. Believe it or not, you are the one who actually controls that testy piece of equipment. The more you stay on plan, the more likely it is to show a loss, the more you eat off plan, the more likely it is to show a gain. You just can't have it both ways - eating off plan AND expecting a loss.

Probably not what you want to hear - I'm just going to echo that of my fellow 100lb-ers. There's nothing that WE can say to you to get you to stay on plan. It all has to come from within yourself. Just know that is IS doable and that YOU absolutely, positively CAN do it. I wish that I would have known that all those years ago.

You have to want this badly enough. You have to want it so badly that it hurts. You have to want it more then anything else. It has to be the most important thing on your list right now. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to lose the weight. You have to be ready to give up the high volume/high calorie food. And you have to know that by giving it up, you are going to GAIN a healthier, fitter, more active and productive life. You have the stength to do this. I promise you that you do.

I agree with Sheila and the journaling. And how about using Fitday.com? Make it a rule that if you bite it - you write it. Bar none. Do something to shake things up. How about seeing a nutritionist or a dietician? Most insurance plans do cover this.

But really the most vital thing you can do - is to decide once and for all that you are going to lose the weight. We very rarely stay the same from year to year. We either go up or go down. Just think where you could be one little year from now if you stick to a healthy eating and exercise plan? Ahhh ... the possibilities. We're all here for you Mug, hoping for you and pulling for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #6  
Trying so hard....

Well I began the day with a healthy lunch from Subway. Lets hope tonight I can occupy myself with something so I wont go in the kitchen after supper. I need to begin a project...I think I may begin cleaning out my bedroom tonight, a plan to keep me busy. I can only do one day at a time, right. I have to tell myself not to think about other days, just today.....
Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

And, Mug, sometimes it's hour by hour rather than day by day. Subway seems like a reasonable choice for lunch - especially compared with some of the choices you could have made.

Now, everyone else has said this, so I'm basically just reinforcing what they're saying. Journal. Write down everything you eat, the time of day you ate it and your mood/feelings when you ate it. I'm not an emotional eater, but I eat from boredom. It's taken me 33 years to figure that one out, but I've found that if I keep my hands busy, I don't binge to anywhere near the same amount as I did. I'm certainly not perfect - I have the odd binge - but I've improved a lot from where I was.

Also, get the rubbish out of the house. I have to leave the house to get junk food, so it gives me a chance to think about why I'm doing it.

Just keep at it, but do try and figure out if there's something causing the binges and think about a way of stopping that at least some of the time.
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/219/140

Height: 5'7''

Your here and your posting which is an awesome step to getting back on board. Subway is awesome!! As with what everyone else is saying...journaling is awesome. I have actually taken it one step further and I am sending my journal to my sil on a weekly basis. She is a nutritionist so she can give me better choices and ride me if I slip up. You can send it to anyone though does not need to be a health person. Just someone that you trust to give you kudos when you do good and alittle in check when your slipping. It is not for everyone but it has been working for me. 17 pounds is awesome you have already begun and showed that you can do it...keep it up mug
Hope20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Mug - sorry things are tough right now. I know exactly where you're coming from! I hurt my hip a couple of weeks ago and haven't been exercising because of it. Also, while I'm not bingeing...and I'm on-plan...I AM having a MUCH harder time with it all. I could EASILY binge. I feel like I'm hanging on with white knuckles!!!! For me, and possibly for you(?), exercise is a HUGE motivator to eat properly. I love the way I feel when I'm finished with a good workout. Even if I'm not very lean...when I've worked out I feel very lean and strong. That feeling translates to wanting to eat healthy fuels that will maintain that lean, strong feeling. Maybe if you could make yourself exercise, the eating would start to get back on track?

Just a thought....since I think that's what I'm going through right now.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Tricia, I hope you're feeling better real soon.

I agree with you. Exercise spurs on the need for good and healthy on plan food. It's a great cycle.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #11  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I know what you mean, Mug! I've struggled with this a long time, and we're in about the same right now -- I've had a huge stall in my weight loss over the past two weeks because I wasn't making the best food decisions (though I am happy I at least did not totally binge like I used to!) but to top that off, I wasn't exercising and making every excuse in the book why I wasn't... It's hard, but you just have to DO IT!! Let's do this together!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #12  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I'll join you gals! I haven't lost anything in the past 2 weeks and have been having trouble even maintaining because of binge eating. Maybe we can keep this post up for a few days for support! I'm done eating for today (8pm here) but I am going to commit to tomorrow - I will have a binge free day!

I journal AND I don't have junk food available. But there are some stupid "free" M&Ms out at work and that starts it... then I head to the vending machine. The whole time I tell myself "I shouldn't be doing this!" but still the hand puts the money in, gets the snack, and shoves it in the mouth. Its all emotional, I know it is. I usually exercise to take care of emotional things, but I haven't been able to for 2 weeks because of hip problems (appointments later this week to figure that out). It needs to stop! I need to find yet something else to curb my emotional eating and it can't be exercise right now, unfortunately

Last edited by modkittn; 09-17-2007 at 07:58 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #13  
Trying so hard....

Thanks everyone. It really helps me feel less like a big loser when I know others are struggling with the same issues I have. Yesterday was a better day for me. I only binged about 250 calories after supper, which is better than 1,000 calories. Small pat on back.....We can do this together everyone!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #14  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Mug,

You can absolutely do it and you're definitely not alone!

Just out of curiosity, what are you binging on? What did you have last night, for example? I know that dozens of people have mentioned this to you, but if it's not in the house you can't binge on it without going way out of your way. Clearing out the cupboards would probably go a long, long way toward ending this cycle.

Last edited by Gale02; 09-18-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #15  
Trying so hard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
Mug,

You can absolutely do it and you're definitely not alone!

Just out of curiosity, what are you binging on? What did you have last night, for example? I know that dozens of people have mentioned this to you, but if it's not in the house you can't binge on it without going way out of your way. Clearing out the cupboards would probably go a long, long way toward ending this cycle.
It doesn't matter what I have in the house, I can still find something to stuff in my face. But.........it does help to not have certain things in the house, like certain cereals, peanut butter, bagels, yes bagels.