The Biggest Loser

You're on Page 5 of 7
Go to
  • mr football - AMEN! i loves me a great big man!

i totally cried through most of the show, i'm such a girly girl!!
  • I think some of them drank a bunch of water before their first weigh in. I know I would, lol. It's the only way they can post those huge numbers. I could never do the show, too embarassed about my stretch marks, not to mention no one around here to watch the kids if I was gone for 3 months. Put me on the lottery list though, I'd hire someone Bob-like to live with us, helping us pick healthier foods and exercising me.
  • Remember the wrestler guy? He knew how to eat and cut weight sooo maybe they get "tips"
  • I was looking through the TV directory and can't find it!! What channel is it on??
    Thanks!
  • There have been articles posted about some of the unhealthy things the contestants do to pull these weight losses. My husband and I actually had an argument about it last night. I only got to see the last half hour of the show, and offered to watch it in the bedroom (hubby HATES the show).

He graciously offered to watch with me, but when I made a few comments like how stupid the pulling the jet stunt was, and the dubious numbers... he kept muttering "I don't know why you watch this...."

His points were very valid. The show is dangerous for the contestants, and for anyone watching who might be stupid enough to try this stuff at home, it does encourage more fat stereotypes than it breaks, and by watching it, I am participating in it. If a contestant dies, it is as much my fault for watching as was theirs for not considering their health above the fame and prize money, and the producers for setting up the situation.

That being said, I probably will continue to watch, but I have nothing to be proud of in doing so.
  • Sorry! I just found it! NBC!! Thanks!
  • Did anyone notice that the contestants all seem to be equally as fat this year. Seems like other years there were some not as fat. What depresses me is that I look at some of them and think they weigh more or the same as me and find out that they weigh less! Although I'm glad to see Jillian back, I find that there are too many people to keep track of. I wonder how they're going to handle that. Some of those stunts look too strenuous for people in their condition and I wouldn't be surprised if one of these years someone dies during the process. That said, my vote goes to gramps - he's my age and he actually looks to be in better condition than some of the younger ones -- not as flabby. I also miss Carolyn Rhea.
  • I miss Caroline so much (and not just because we share the same name). That said, I tune in to this show every week and will continue to do so. My sister is much, much thinner than me, but we work out together a few times a week and talk reality TV on the treadmill. She loves this show just as much as I do (maybe more). But she's an exercise physiologist and a reality TV junkie, so I guess TBL is the perfect storm of TV viewing for her.

I think the secret team is an interesting twist, but I still wish they'd replaced Kim with Jillian instead of having three trainers. I just really don't like Kim, she's so wishy-washy and she can't pull off the tough love routine the way Jillian and Bob can.
  • Quote: And I think the big football player captain guy is going to be pretty hot when the weight comes off.
    I agree completely!!! He's already good looking, I can't even imagine once the weight comes off..... wowza!!! I'll be tuning in just for that!!!! I've always been a sucker for the football types though. Broad-shoulders, very masculine.... luckily DH is like that...

I love the show and I LOVE the concept of the Black Team. I don't think it was too extremely cruel to make them think that they were going to go home - think of how much more motivated that made them when Jillian pulled up and they realized what was going on - they were the ones who weren't picked - and now they're going to get their revenge! KUDOS to the producers for that idea!

I love TBL though, been a fan since the start! I would love to do the show, but couldn't handle being away from my kids and hubby for that long. So, I'll just lose weight at home instead.

Glad to see the new host. Caroline got on my nerves for some reason!

For now, GO MR. FOOTBALL!
  • I know the weight loss is dangerously sudden for a lot of them, but their LOOMING heart attacks by doing nothing are just as dangerous, yes????

I know in real life, slow & steady wins the race, but hey this is TV and they've got doctors and more importantly, LAWYERS, who don't want to be sued for killing someone, so I have faith everyone is working within their limits
  • But there is an alternative between doing nothing and extreme action, there's moderation, which as americans we despise. Moderation is boring, who wants to watch that.

Yes the show has doctors and lawyers, but I would love to see the releases and contracts these people sign. The families could still sue, if someone were hurt or injured, but they would probably lose, because of the wording of these releases. The lawyers would argue that they didn't force anyone to do anything, and that they had explained all of the risks to each contestant (which they probably have, so on that hand I have to say a person has a right to be as stupid as they choose to be).

The woman who died on the radio contest to win a Wii by drinking tons of water and not being allowed to go to the bathroom signed a release holding the radio station blameless of any harm. Nurses were calling into the station to tell them that drinking this much water was dangerous, and the radio personalities laughed at them saying people had signed releases. I believe the radio show hosts were fired, but if the family sues, they will probably lose if it isn't settled out of court for publicity sake.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I believe that even a death wouldn't stop the show. The perception would be that a person so fat would have dropped dead eventually, anyway. The doctors would be trotted out to say so. The doctors and trainers on the show may or may not be conscientious, but the fact is that this is a classic case of conflict of interest. They're not being paid by their "patients" and "clients," they're being paid by the show.
  • I didn't get a chance to post after I watch last night, but...
    1) even though I knew Jillian was going to take the rejects in as the black team, I still got teary eyed because they weren't picked. (I'm such a sap!)
    2) I was very excited to see that the women weighed more than they have in the past.
    3) Even though they still lost big numbers, I was actually pleased that this season (with the exception of the two member) they had more realistic weight losses. In the past I believe that most of them lost between 15-25 lbs that first week and this time they were more in the 10-15 lb range which is quite doable with the first week water weight loss.
    4) If I were on the program, I would want Bob as my trainer.
    5) There are already a couple of "catty" women that I know that can't wait until they are kicked out!

and

6) Go gramps!!!!
  • Quote:
    5) There are already a couple of "catty" women that I know that can't wait until they are kicked out!

and

6) Go gramps!!!!
    Oh no kidding. I cannot stand one in particular on the red team, now that I've gotten a chance to watch the entire thing. There are also 2 hot guys on the Blue Team. I can't wait to see it next week!!!
  • I also watched the season opening, and I love a good reality show with a twist.

I completely agree with those that say it's unrealistic and I totally believe it is fixed and those people are put through dangerous extremes that NO one should go through. It does give the impression that losing weight is easy if we only eat right and exercise our butts off. It's not that easy as we ALL know. It takes a complete new mindset and lots of determination and hard work.

But, if you take the show for what it is and have a good time with it then great. I LOVE Jillian and would HATE for her to be my trainer. That woman is seriously scary, but awesome! I love Bob and would let him train me anytime.

I will say that there is a level of motivation that comes with this show. I have recently upped my exercise at Curves to an hour and yesterday I thought of the show and pushed myself a little harder than I normally would. The scale actually moved down this morning sooooooooooo I'm heading back to Curves to do it again.
  • I don't think anyone will ever drop dead. Yes, they show them sweating and panting and exerting and moaning, but I will bet that they are monitoring them the whole time, and then they just pull outtakes where the contestants are resting between moves so it looks like continuous effort. It's drama!

Jay