Does anyone else keep a spreadsheet?

• as we all know weight loss is a mysterious process you can work real hard and not lose a pound some weeks and others you seem to just let things flow and you drop? my nan was a gold card weight watcher for 30years and she always used to say don't trust the scales always trust the tape measure. sound advice that is promoted in many books.

does anyone else live for the tape measure? i measure and weight officially every thursday morning. i take neck chest waist hips, biceps foreamrs wrists thighs and calfs. all plotted in a spread shee this is good. cos 1. i can see in figures how my body is changing especially the waist/hip to chest ratio. but also after 2 weeks you can highlight the two weeks and drag across to the next colum and so and at excel will update those colums based on your previous results. i use this as a target. not a wholey achievable target as weight loss changes but each week you add your new results and each week highlight and drag across. so the more weeks the more accurate it becomes. i use this to make goal predictors.

being a bit sad and having alot of time i like to highlight the indiviual results in different colours. Red if its gone up. yellow if its stayed the same and green if i've lost. obviously as long as its not waist or hips i don't arms neck or chest getting bigger.
  • Spreadsheet OCD...
    uuummm,...yeah.
    I keep a spreadsheet.
    I'm a tad embarrassed to say that it contains the date, my daily weight, my exercise record, if I've been dehydrated or sick, notations about starting/stopping medications...and a few other items.
    I've kept the spreadsheet since Feb of 06. It's cool to chart weight loss. (Alternatively, it sucks to chart weight gain.)
    so...yeah, I'm a bit OCD about it, but, I keep a spreadsheet too.
  • I sure do. My favorite is a weight loss chart with graph. I also use a spreadsheet for my calories. Fitday and the other sites just get on my nerves. Hubby just told me about a marvelous new spreadsheet he found on our new computer. Its on Microsoft Works under program templates. The form is called "Fitness" and it includes a food diary complete with calorie/fat/carbohydrate tracking and water consumption tracking. It also includes a page for strength training and one for aerobic exercise. Now, if I can ever get my turn on the home computer, I might find these very useful.
  • Yeah. It tracks the date, weight, total weight lost to date, difference from the day before (colored coded like yours so if I gained it turns red, if it's the same it's yellow, and if it's a loss from the day before it turns green). Then I have it total the change for the week. Then I have it all feed into a plotted chart to visually show the changes over time with a trend line so I can see where I might be over the next year if I keep up the same pace. Anal, but I used to do a ton of spreadsheets in my last job and I find it fun and inspirational.
  • I dont use a spreadsheet but I do keep track of Weekly weigh ins, daily weigh ins, measurements, exercise, food, etc.. all on my blog.
  • Slim, can you give me a more detailed explanation of your spreadsheet? I don't understand exactly and I need the codes you used, TY
  • across the top dates mine is done every thursday. down the A column list the body parts to be measured. Neck, Chest, waist, hips, thighs, calfs, biceps, forarms, wrists. have separate row for each of the left and the right side limbs. and one for weight in lbs. after the second week you highlight both columns of results only. in the bottom right use the corner and drag out across the columns no codes needed. the only codes on mine i manually typed were for a seperate set of data on the same sheet that just converts the top imperial measures to a metric one. so i have the data in both imperial and metric on the same sheet.
  • I use a spreadsheet to track my monthly measurments, monthly weight, BBI, and clothing size. My weight is recorded weekly at my TOPS meetings as well. I use Fitday and love it.
  • I have a binder that records my weekly weigh in info along with my measurements. I love the tape more than the scale I think... Even if I don't lose any weight, I can always count on a few inches being gone.

I also keep a daily journal that contains breakfast lunch, dinner and snack info-- my food journal, I record water intake and Exercise as well. I love to be able to revert back to it to see my progress and it also gives me ideas on meal plans.

I am obsessed with tracking everything. I think it also helps me to stay focused on what my goals are AND keeps me from eating bad stuff!